Ground Hamburger or Turkey u decide

Options

Replies

• twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like to mix them both... it's good! :wink:

Makes GREAT meatballs! (Baked, of course!)
  • rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of Ground Hamburger over Ground Turkey...

I just choose Turkey over Red Meat because of these reasons:

For me..not speaking for others

Red meat takes longer for me to digest
    Red meat seems to slow down my metabolism.
    I recover faster when eating Turkey

Now I have read that red meat over long term is bad and does increase chances of colon cancer....

^^^ Yeah, what this guy said!!!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Great post!

My personal problem is that if I'm going for taste, I'm definitely not eating 96% lean ground beef. It's 80/20 for flavor (mmmm) and there's a bigger diff in the nutrition!

Most people actually think my from scratch spaghetti sauce tastes better with ground turkey!!!! :-)
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of the leanest hamburger meat. It is very tasty, and we can not tell a difference in it versus the cheapest one. We seem to get more meat with the leanest and of course not all that fat.
  • tbrooke2000
    tbrooke2000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    the leanest my grocery store carries is only 90% lean though... i still eat it some. its just not quite as good for me im sure.

I live in a small town and we have Krogers, Walmart and Food City. The only one that carries the leanest hamburger meat is Walmart, have u looked there? they sell out fast since they are the only carrier here.

Have you tried the local butchers? They will grind the meat for you to your specifications! Even in small towns!! Sometimes especially in small towns! :-) Trust me when I say it will be a TON healthier and tastier than the varieties at Walmart.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think beef taste better. But I buy turkey because the leaner meat is cheaper than beef.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I get ground veal. It has great flavor and texture. Not really sure about the nutrition stats though.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey 97% lean this is for 4oz
    calories- 140
    sat fat- 1g
    total fat- 3g
    cholest- 65mg
    sodium- 65mg
    protein- 26g
    iron- 8%

Are you talking about Ground Turkey or Ground Turkey Breast? There is a big difference between the two and I just looked at my package of Lean Ground Turkey Breast and the numbers are significantly lower than yours.
  • Mommy_Time
    Options
    Have you tried the local butchers? They will grind the meat for you to your specifications! Even in small towns!! Sometimes especially in small towns! :-) Trust me when I say it will be a TON healthier and tastier than the varieties at Walmart.

I have not will have to give some a call and see. I don't think they give the nutritional values though so that would be hard to know what it is.
  • Mommy_Time
    Options
    Are you talking about Ground Turkey or Ground Turkey Breast? There is a big difference between the two and I just looked at my package of Lean Ground Turkey Breast and the numbers are significantly lower than yours.

mine says extra lean white ground turkey.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I know I bought regular Ground Turkey by mistake once and it was delicious :) And higher calories and fat than 95% ground beef, which is probably why it was so tasty :) I don't know if "white" means turkey breast or not :huh: . The wording on packages can get confusing! I usually do what one of the other posters said and have the butcher grind the meat I select, unless pre-ground is on sale. That way I know a little more about what's in it.
  • Mommy_Time
    Options

I know I bought regular Ground Turkey by mistake once and it was delicious :) And higher calories and fat than 95% ground beef, which is probably why it was so tasty :) I don't know if "white" means turkey breast or not :huh: . The wording on packages can get confusing! I usually do what one of the other posters said and have the butcher grind the meat I select, unless pre-ground is on sale. That way I know a little more about what's in it.

yes labels get very confusing. i like the one i have and it is still a low calorie/low fat meat :)
  • mikkisha
    mikkisha Posts: 3
    Options
    You could always do ground bison meat, it is as lean as chicken, if not leaner and it taste JUST LIKE BEEF! I did a review on it check it out!

http://youtu.be/uEUKnvpxn8s

www.Youtube.com/kishagetsskinny
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I really detest ground turkey but I like ground chicken. I also eat lean ground beef. I usually do 1/2 of each, so if I am making burgers for instance, I do a patty with 1/2 ground chicken breast and 1/2 ground lean beef. You really can't tell the difference, especially once you slap a slice of cheese on top.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey seems to be much more expensive here too. I don't like it anyway.
    I always go with ground beef
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    wow, that is interesting information. I've tried so hard to keep the meats we're eating "lean" guess there is no difference. Thanks for sharing!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I don't like ground turkey anyways. It is gross.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them both just depends on what i am wanting. If i am craving a steak than the hamburger meat wins. If i want something more light feeling in my stomach the turkey wins. And most the time whichever one i have in the freezer wins lol :)

LOL this
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    i probably will never give up ground hamburger. ever.

it's so tasty
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I usually go for what's more affordable. a 1lb tube of lean ground turkey at Wal-mart is $2.

A 1lb tube of the really lean ground beef is like $5.-6.

Turkey wins for me!

Edit to add: My dad worked for a local butcher on his "off days" from the firestation when I was younger. When my parents buy a whole cow or half-cow, I get some ground beef, hamburger patties and maybe a bit of bacon.I don't eat beef often but it's all very fresh and clean. OHHH SO yummy.