Interesting Exercise Documentary

Options
This was a very interesting documentary about exercise called 'The Truth About Exercise', which aired on BBC. Take from it what you want, disregard what you do not agree with, learn something new... I will continue to do my normal workouts, but have also incorporated the 3 20 second intervals 3 days a week idea, just to push myself! I did it this morning, and boy do I feel AWAKE! I wish I could get all of these test done that they did in the documentary!

http://www.forbiddenknowledgetv.com/videos/healing/the-truth-about-exercise---full-film.html#.T51-Wm-MLBI.facebook

Replies

• kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've just started watching, but so far ... I have a feeling I'm going to get irritated quickly.
    He uncovers the surprising new research which suggests many of us could benefit from just three minutes of high intensity exercise a week.
    Pisses me right off. Of COURSE it would! Taking someone who is completely unhealthy and having them do /anything/ would have fantastic results. This is hardly ground-breaking or a new idea. :grumble:
  • Girlmv312
    Girlmv312 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The benefits of doing 3 minutes a week is NOT for TOTAL OVERALL HEALTH/ WEIGHT LOSS... "that by doing just three minutes of HIT a week for four weeks, I could expect to see significant changes in a number of important health indices. The first, and the one I was most interested in, is insulin sensitivity. Insulin removes sugar from the blood, it controls fat and when it becomes ineffective you become diabetic. The second improvement I was likely to see would be in my aerobic fitness. Aerobic fitness is a measure of how good your heart and lungs are at getting oxygen into your body and is an excellent predictor of future health."

"So how does it work? According to Jamie, and other researchers I spoke to, part of the explanation is (probably) that HIT uses far more of our muscle tissue than classic aerobic exercise.
    When you do HIT, you are using not just the leg muscles, but also the upper body including arms and shoulders, so that 80% of the body's muscle cells are activated, compared to 20-40% for walking or moderate intensity jogging or cycling.
    Active exercise also seems to be needed to break down the body's stores of glucose, deposited in your muscles as a substance called glycogen. Smash up these glycogen stores and you create room for more glucose to be sucked out of the blood and stored..... My insulin sensitivity had improved by a remarkable 24%, which was extremely satisfying"

It also talks about how you should always keep moving throughout the day, not just for 3 minutes a week.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'm just in a grumpy mood and not giving this video a chance. I'm gonna pause for now, and come back to it in a few hours once my headache clears so I can be more objective. :)