Incline powerwalking on treadmill any good for fat burning?

Options
Hi all,
So far I've been doing a walk/jog interval workout on the treadmill for the last 3 weeks. Anyways my knees have been bothering me since yesterday's workout. I have weak joints, and that is the reason I stopped running last time. Running though is the only thing that I can really lose weight on. I don't want to totally injure myself and not be able to do anything, so was thinking of doing a powerwalking with incline intervals at least for a little while till I get stronger for running. It sucks cause I was making progress and felt like I could go longer, but my knees are holding me back. My workout was having results though as I have lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks which is perfect pacing for me. I am doing strength training on alternate days and will concentrate on getting my knees and ankles stronger. In the mean time I might have to cut to the powerwalking incline workout. I walk with my dog everyday, but he is older so it doesn't really tax me physically. Any thoughts on getting a good cardio just walking fast and doing incline intervals? My knee isn't swollen just stiff and sore but I don't want to risk a worse injury. This kinda sucks though.

Replies

• lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can definitely burn calories walking briskly and even more so on an incline. When I walk on an incline my heart rate goes way up there!
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was on the treadmill this morning - jogging at 9km with no incline or walking at 6.5 with a 14% incline. I was surprised that the treadmill had me burning more calories on the walking with incline than running. I can't run at any great dpeed yet but was still surprised that the walking was burning more as I felt more exhausted after the run parts than the walking.

Hope that helps xx
  • treeeee
    treeeee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    walking at an incline will also help your glutes :)
  • rodrigging
    rodrigging Posts: 1
    Options
    Also carrying some weights will increase your heart rate a little more.
    You can increase the intensity of the workout without increasing the stress on your joints.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I found that when I run to fast (More than 5mph) My knees get really bad to the point where I can not even do a half squat with out my knee feeling like it was going to explode. So I gave it a weeks rest and then I went back to running but I really slowed things down I average at about 4.5 and I have not had any problems.

I regards to the walking thing I had lost 40lb with only walking and good eating in a matter of 8 months I love walking and it is so good for you
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hells yes!

I don't run. I hate it. It makes me feel like a hyperventilating elephant. But I can walk at speeds that some folks jog at (4.8 MPH). And I burn plenty of calories doing so. During a 45 walking interval workout on the treadmill, I can burn over 500 calories. I would never be able to run long enough to get that kind of burn. Also, my HR stays pretty much at the top of my fat burning range throughout the workout, and I'd never be able to sustain that kind of level if I were doing walk/jog intervals.

If you are looking for a great app to motivate you with treadmill interval workouts, check out lolo Beatburn. It is awesome. It sets up progressively challenging interval workouts, and uses your ipod music to sync up with your workout. It is one thing that keeps me getting on that treadmill.
  • monkeygirl351
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I had been doing a jog at about 5mph but it felt too slow so I had bumped it to 5.5mph and I think I might have over done it. At my walking pace I didn't get below 4-4.5mph. After my workout doing that I felt really good well until later and my knees were killing me. It got to the point where I popped some Advil which I don't normally do. I will do the walking tomorrow and see how it goes. The more I move the better my knee feels but i don't want to take any chances. I might increase my workout time to 60 minutes instead of 45 to help evenv it out too. I can walk for days, but my knees hate running lol even though I love it.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Hell yes! I do it all the time if I want a super burn but I'm not in a jogging mood.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    just dont powerwalk so fast or have such an incline you have to hold on to the front of the treadmill please it is my biggest irk a the gym lol
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have heel spurs and cannot run.... too much pain.

But, if I do a proper warm up and then get a decent speed with an incline, I have no pain whatsoever and my heartrate sky-rockets! My 15 minute warm up this morning was almost 225 calories with an incline of 12.0(planet fitness)... thats a good burn in short time
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I love putting that incline on 15 and goin' for it!

GLUUUUUUUUUUTES!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Absolutely..just don't incline so much that you find yourself holding onto the machine (I've always heard that it diminishes your calorie burning if you're supporting your weight with your hands or arms in some way - plus it puts strain on your back when you do that)

edit - oops, I see fatboypup already covered this subject!

For the record, its a HUGE irk for me too.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    walking at an incline will also help your glutes :)

YAY!! I have been walking with an incline (setting of 8 on the treadmill) at about 2.8 mph and I have had several people comment on my "slimming" behind! THANK YOU, TREADMILL!! You are my new best friend! LOL
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Anything that raises your heart rate burns calories and therefore fat. The burn is proportional to your heart rate and how long you do it.

If your treadmill has a heart rate monitor, use it. Get your heart rate up to whatever you think you can maintain for as long as you have to work out, and keep going as long as you can (or as long as you have time for).

For example, my favorite is the elliptical, because I get to vary my pace easily. I have 45 minutes to work out. So I get on it and warm up for a few minutes, then concentrate on getting my heart rate up to about 145 (near the "top end" of the cardio range for my age). I go with that until I have about 15 minutes left, then I start something with a good thumping beat and give myself 5-10 minutes of about 155 heart rate (above the "cardio" range, but I only maintain it for a few minutes and it gives me a little extra exercise high at the end). Then about 5 minutes from the end I back off the resistance and slow down, trying to get my heart rate down into the 130s before the end of the workout, but slowly.

At my weight and age, my 45 minute workout burns about 650 calories according to MFP and several online calculators I've found that attempt to calculate calories based on heartrate and weight. The elliptical is estimating it a bit high (700). But they are all in the same basic range.

If burning maximum calories in minimum time is your primary goal, as it is mine (since I have limited time to work out), then do whatever you enjoy the most (or hate the least) that gets your heart rate up to a safely elevated level, and keep it there as long as you safely can.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Absolutely..just don't incline so much that you find yourself holding onto the machine (I've always heard that it diminishes your calorie burning if you're supporting your weight with your hands or arms in some way - plus it puts strain on your back when you do that)

I didn't know this so just did a google and found this "It will slightly reduce the effect of increasing speed but significantly reduce or nullify the effect of incline."

NULLIFY? Yikes!! Wont do that again! It bugs me that the people who run the gyms don't tell people this when they see them, if I hadn't of read this, I wouldn't have known.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

The program I use adjusts the incline according to your heartrate (meaning I have to use the heartrate pads, as it does not come with a chest strap or a way to use a personal one). I don't consider this holding on as I am not using it to support my weight, but only using a light touch. Thoughts on this?
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    yes it will. watch how fast the treadmill shows calories burned on incline vs. flat. it rocks
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use an I-Fit program with Jillian Michaels and Jillian (yep, we're on a first name basis!) told me that you achieve the same heartrate walking at 3 mph on a 12% incline as you would running at 6 mph.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah. Treadmill is 95% of the exercising I've been doing, hit a plateau end of March and started increasing the incline and I've started losing again.
  • TracyJean2012
    TracyJean2012 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    with my back issues my surgeon told me no running but i do a little but for most part i do the Ellipical, lots less hard on my joints, just a thought to share.