Is it shin splints?

Options
bunnyr
bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
:sad: :sad: I just started a walk/run club that is training for a 5K. I had my first work out and it was soooooo fun!! I forgot how good endorphins feel. I had been walking on a treadmill at the gym but it was not the same. So the next day went for a long power walk and that night I had pain in both of my shins! I'm so frustrated. I don't want to get hurt right at the beginning of something so great. We have another group workout tomorrow. Any ideas?

Replies

• bunnyr
    Options
    :sad: :sad: I just started a walk/run club that is training for a 5K. I had my first work out and it was soooooo fun!! I forgot how good endorphins feel. I had been walking on a treadmill at the gym but it was not the same. So the next day went for a long power walk and that night I had pain in both of my shins! I'm so frustrated. I don't want to get hurt right at the beginning of something so great. We have another group workout tomorrow. Any ideas?
  • lilnatn2
    lilnatn2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints really bad if I run outside, on pavement. Even one time, and I'll have shin splits for a couple weeks afterwards and can't run at all! It sucks bad. However, if I run on treadmills I don't have this problem. Be sure you stretch your calves really well afterwards. And sometimes icing them helps if you do get them. They're a huge pain though, I know.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen! Shin splints are caused by the layers of different muscles rubbing and becoming irritated and swollen, and ibuprofen helps swelling so maybe that'll help. It's worked pretty well for me in the past. Just my two cents.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    other things that help. before you walk/run, do a nice long stretch of your shins. Rub the muscles hard to lengthen them and warm them up. Ice will reduce swelling, and make sure you stretch AFTER your workouts too, it's important to keep the muscles from tightening up and rubbing, you can also wear a high jumper's knee strap, it will keep the tendons in place as you run (you can get these at most sporting goods stores for about 15 bucks). Also, make sure you have good running shoes, go to a store that specializes in running and explain them the situation, they should have shoes that keep your body more in line and will minimize this. If this starts happening often, go see a physical therapist, they will have some exercises designed to lengthen and stretch the shins out. Above all, DON'T just let this go, it will just get worse and worse.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    You may have gone into something too energetically and too intensly. You should start some preventative things now like apply ice packs to the affected shin for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, four times a day for several days. To protect your skin, wrap the ice packs in a thin towel. Elevate the affected shin above the level of your heart, especially at night. It may also help to compress the area with an elastic bandage or compression sleeve. Loosen the wrap if the pain increases, the area becomes numb or swelling occurs below the wrapped area.

Besides all of the other good advice given by the others here you may also want to go to the Mayo Clinic link and learn more about the symptoms and recovery: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    When my shins start to hurt I know it's time for me to get new shoes. An avid "race" runner at my gym told me that if you run almost everyday in the same shoes they will need to be replaced about every 3 months b/c the suport gets broken down. As soon as I get new shoes the pain goes away. Sometimes I alternate between 2 pairs of shoes too. I also do this stretch before and after I run:I take off my shoes, while standing I put the knuckles of my toes on the floor whith my knee slightly bent(Hope that makes sense, kind of hard to describe with out you seeing it :laugh: ).
  • bunnyr
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    We walked/jogged 1 1/2 miles today and I am sore in the shins but not too bad. I talked to the coach and she said it appears to be more muscular than shin splints. So I am icing and taking days off inbetween workouts and trying not to overdo it (which I always seem to do :embarassed: ).

Thanks for all the advice. I will be more careful because I want to do this long term!