Training for a FULL Marathon

emartin17
emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
Hey y'all,

I am running my first full marathon in 5 months (the beautiful Twin Cities Marathon) and need some tips. I have been wondering if I have enough time (meaning months not time in a day) to train for this properly. I have tried to look for this answer of course via Google but I see that people who sign up for one are the ones who haven't even attempted running a 5k and think it is easy stuff. I have been running for nearly 2 years now. So I am here to ask: is 5 months worth of 4 days a week training good enough for a marathon? I really don't want to pay for a trainer and ask this question. I just want to make sure I will make it without injuring and get into the psyche of marathon runners alike.

Replies

• cgray
    cgray Posts: 129 Member
    I think that you're fine on training time. I did my first full this past October. I had an official running coach and then used several apps from itunes to help me. Just don't over think it. Keep adding miles (my longest run before the marathon was 20 miles) but don't wake up and think "Oh my gosh, I'm running 20 miles today" just let your body do it's thing. If you have any pain, respect it. I managed to get through unhurt, not even sore really, no weight loss and I'd even consider doing another. Good Luck:) add me as a friend if you ever want to chat about it. I know you can do it, it sounds so much more scary than it really is.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    You'll be fine. If you've been a runner for a while, I'm sure you've got the base to train. The big issue comes when people want to go "COUCH to MARATHON IN 2 MONTHS!! WOOO!!". It's bad for your body and your brain. (Plus, not many people I know lose weight while training for a marathon, which is usually these kind of people's goal.)

Pick a good training plan and watch your nutrition and learn to take and love ice baths! Good luck!
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    2 words......Hal Higden!
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Logyourrun has a number of (FREE!) full marathon training schedules, that you can customize with your experience/skill level. Just a quick search shows a number of 20-week training schedules. Check it out! I'm using them to train for my first half in September. Good luck!
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    5 months is plenty of time
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Most full marathon programs are 18 - 20 weeks long, so yes, 5 months is more than enough time assuming you have a good base. I like the Hal Higdon programs, personally, but Runners World also has solid training programs available. Best of luck in your training.
  • rsj206
    rsj206 Posts: 36 Member
    Hi, I second the Hal Higdon recommendation. His website has a great selection of training plans (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide). I used his Novice plan when training for my first marathon a few years ago. If you look at the start of this schedule and think "hmm, yes, that's about what I do now" you will do just fine.

My big challenges in training for long-distance running were: (i) figuring out what I could eat and drink on the run that didn't upset my stomach; (ii) fitting in the long runs on the weekends; and (iii) dealing with post-long-run tiredness. Particularly later on in training when the mileage got up higher than 18 in one go, I found that once I'd run the rest of the day was kind of a wash. I took my ice bath, tried to relax and was usually in bed by 8. Not great for my social life! But totally worth it. Crossing the finish is an amazing feeling!! Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I haven't had the guts to try a full marathon (yet) - congrats on taking that step.

If you've been running pretty regularly for a couple of years and can train 4 times weekly 5 months should be plenty of time. Find yourself a good training plan and follow it.

Have fun!
  • bvalois
    bvalois Posts: 2
    I just had my second child in February and am training for my first marathon this october. I ran a half 8 months after my first child was born and did well, so I think I will be ok. My training schedule starts in June but I am already running a lot. Trying to loose the extra lbs first.