Wanting to start jogging

Options
I have been walking on a regular basis for 5 weeks now. My last walk I was almost to a point that I felt like I should start jogging. Can anyone suggest a good way to introduce jogging into my daily walks?

Replies

• flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a very easy plan to get you on to running...

Google: C25K
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That's great! Jogging can be hard at first but if you stick to it, you'll see your body getting stronger and eventually it becomes quite effortless.

My advice would be to have a good mindset about it, and to consider your jogs as "fun runs." If you don't enjoy it at least a little, it won't be sustainable.

Good luck! :)
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Definitely one of the Couch to 5K programs. They will move you along at a safe pace to change over from walking to running.
  • hbrillhart
    hbrillhart Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in the same place. I down loaded the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone yesterday and plan to use it for the first time tonight. Good luck to us!:happy:
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Did you think about trying the C25K programs ?

Hope this helps you out a bit......

I found an application for iTouch/iPhone/iPod on iTunes and it is called Ease into 5K by bluefin software which is very good but not free, maybe around $2.99 This app has good ratings and lets you use your music playlists from your iPod in it.

I believe there is another app similar to the one above by someone else and is free but don't know about it......

I also found a podcast on iTunes called NHS Couch to 5K which is "free" and like that one too but it doesn't let you use your own music and it has its own music built in......
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Another C25K recommendation!
  • iambatman41
    iambatman41 Posts: 37
    Options
    Agreed, C25K is a good way to go. I am on week 2 and it is getting easier. Free apps on iPhone and Android. I have never jogged before and this seems to be a great way to do it.
  • heidi43101
    heidi43101 Posts: 7
    Options
    Well, c25k looks like the winner! Plus I found someone to do it with :-) Thank you all!
  • katheharwood
    katheharwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The C25k is definitely one of the safest and healthier programs to get into running...week to week, your muscles get stronger and you develop a good breathing pattern. Just remember, it’s easy to get impatient, and you may feel tempted to skip ahead in the program, but hold yourself back. Don’t try to do more, even if you feel you can. If, on the other hand, you find the program too strenuous, just stretch it out. Don’t feel pressured to continue faster than you’re able. Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you’re ready. I'm confident you'll love this. Good Luck! :)