zumba fans?

Options
any one out there loves zumba? how many calories do you burn during 20 minutes of it i have it for my wii so i think im gonna start it did it help you burn a lot of calories

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I love doing zumba. I started out doing it on the Wii but now I take live classes because it so much more fun. I use a heart rate monitor to measure how many calories I burn, but there is also a web site called zumbacalories.com. I generally burn 525 calories for 55 minutes, but that can vary depending on how hard I'm working out.
  • JD830278
    JD830278 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I take classes, I didn't enjoy the DVD's.

I burn 600-800 calories in 1 hours class but im sure I didn't burn nearly as much as that with the DVDs because I wasn't as motivated.

HTH
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba fitness on the PS3 move, and I do roughly 45- 60 mins every other day, I always put as much as I can into it. I burn from 500- 925 calories :D
  • psycholette
    Options
    I have tried a couple of zumba classes, but since i am SO overweight, I have a hard time keeping up. I think it would be great for people who only need to lose a little or have already lost a lot and just want to keep it off. As far as the video game thing goes....I tried Zumba for the xbox kinnect and didn't like it, but I have dance central for the xbox kinnect and i really like it, i don't have a hard time sticking with it or keeping up, it makes me feel good about myself and it has a feature that tracks how long you are dancing and how many calories you burn and such. i think it is a better choice if you want to use your video game console for exercise. i have never tried it on the wii so i am not sure if it is as good.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple of zumba classes, but since i am SO overweight, I have a hard time keeping up. I think it would be great for people who only need to lose a little or have already lost a lot and just want to keep it off. As far as the video game thing goes....I tried Zumba for the xbox kinnect and didn't like it, but I have dance central for the xbox kinnect and i really like it, i don't have a hard time sticking with it or keeping up, it makes me feel good about myself and it has a feature that tracks how long you are dancing and how many calories you burn and such. i think it is a better choice if you want to use your video game console for exercise. i have never tried it on the wii so i am not sure if it is as good.

If you still like the idea of zumba why not look for a zumba class designed for the less fit and/or older generation new to working out. I know here in the uk they have different ones and zumba gold is the one to ease you in. I expect people will be more supportive too.
  • st3ph07
    st3ph07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Omg i LOVE zumba!!! I use it with my xbox kinect. And for the 60 minute class i usually burn around 1200-1300 calories. I would like to take an actual class when i have the time.
  • Gwenefar2001
    Gwenefar2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I have it for the Xbox Kinect and I go to live classes. I prefer the live classes. I feel like I can really get into it more. At my weight, I usually burn about 875 calories in a 45 minute class.
  • chesiegc
    chesiegc Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I love Zumba! I used to go to 50min. classes and I would burn about 400 calories. I use the DVD now. I plan to get Zumba for Xbox. Thanks for your comments here. Got a lot of tips.
  • Jhawkrn
    Jhawkrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!

There is a great website to calculate calories burned based on weight, height, gender and intensity. The website is

Www.zumbacalories.com

Hope this helps!

Jamie
  • neecee101
    neecee101 Posts: 10
    Options
    I love Zumba. I have the DVD"S. I didn't think I would like it. But I felt exhilarated afterwards.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been teaching Zumba for years and I've had every size, age and shape in class. Every person is diff and is at a diff fitness level, which makes Zumba a blast! anything goes in my classes, it is fun to see the diff personalities come to life. some songs make ppl hoot n hollar, some ppl come to zone out and forget about the stress they just left behind. I recommend hitting a live class for the motivation. Ppl that come into class are positive and ready to have some fun! If you have tried a class and it just didnt feel right, try another instructor in your area. the personality of the instructor makes a diff too, find one that you connect with and welcomes you to want to come back. you dont have to do all the moves like the instr or the ppl that are regulars, do what you can, modify to meet your needs. i have older women who can't bend down far so if i do moves that are low to the ground, they bend a few inches and keep on moving. find an instr that keeps her/his choreography simple and easy to follow. i've been teaching aerobics for 15 years and have learned to keep it simple to keep them coming back. if moves are too complicated, ppl feel they dont fit in and wont return. find an instr in your area that connects with you and keeps you motivated.
  • townsendlyssa
    Options
    If you still have it for the xbox, I would suggest to you to start off with the zumba tutorials instead of selecting the party, then once you are comfortable with those, move up to the zumba class, and then the party. I stuck with the tutorials and class mode for a while before starting the party, because I would get so crazy winded. Now I'm up to the expert lever classes in the party, and they are so much more fun than the beginner and intermediate! It's more like dancing, less like exercise. Good luck :)
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I love Wii Zumba and also do Curves Zumba once a week.
  • townsendlyssa
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I use the xbox kinect version. I have 2 boys, 6 and 2, and no gym that has childcare, so I zumba while the baby naps or eats lunch. I'm so glad to learn about that website to calculate calories! I had been logging it as aerobic dancing and apparently not giving myself not enough credit. Yay!
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    thanks guys im gonna go do some zumba right now!!
  • Caerful
    Options
    Zumba Gold is ideal for people who want to move and have fun but need a slightly slower tempo. No sudden turning or jumps. If you go on www.zumba.com you can search for a zumba gold class near you. All best for your health journey.
  • Caerful
    Caerful Posts: 12
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba Gold? The tempo is a bit slower than standard Zumba Basic (the one most people know). There's no sudden change of direction or jumping. It's more dancey and exercise. You get a whole body workout in a very different way. Still loads of fun, great music, and you will burn plenty of calories. I've been teaching it for a year. It might be worth a try for you.
  • I have the special Zumba sneakers and I have the special Zumba carpet gliders on them. They work well for doing Zumba on the carpet, but my knees feel funny. They don't hurt, but they are getting stiff easily. I don't know if the sneakers don't have enough shock absorption or what. Do any of you have any advice?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! But I have the wii one like you. It will tell you how many cal you burned if your remote in secure in a pocket not the band it came with I find. Start out with low and customize. I don't like the wii version not as realistic. The real live class is nothing like it. The class is awesome and fun but the right instructor is key. I like the challenging no break kinda fun teacher. It was awsome and I was very overweight but you can do alternative movements for jumping etc. I di not catch on very quickly but the more you do it the more you improve! The more cal u burn. Up to a thousand cal in one class. If you are not dripping sweat when you are done you are doing it wrong.