Celiac disease and weight loss

Options
Does anyone in the group have celiac disease? I was diagnosed with it a few months ago and it's been quite a struggle. I can't have any wheat or gluten in my diet (basically most processed foods, bread, pasta, beer, cracker, cookies, cake, etc). You would think it would make weight loss easier...but I have found I'm living a constant stuggle fighting food and so many things I can't eat. I end up overcompensating on the things I can eat. I know planning ahead is the key, but I'm tired of thinking about food all the time!

Anyone in this boat?

Replies

• akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Does anyone in the group have celiac disease? I was diagnosed with it a few months ago and it's been quite a struggle. I can't have any wheat or gluten in my diet (basically most processed foods, bread, pasta, beer, cracker, cookies, cake, etc). You would think it would make weight loss easier...but I have found I'm living a constant stuggle fighting food and so many things I can't eat. I end up overcompensating on the things I can eat. I know planning ahead is the key, but I'm tired of thinking about food all the time!

Anyone in this boat?
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't have it...but I couldn't imagine trying to lose weight AND have to buy gluten free foods...don't they tend to be expensive too? Too bad you can't take a pill like you can for lactose intolerance...good luck!!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    12 years gluten / wheat free - I'm not celiac but might as well be.

It takes getting used to and planning ahead. It can be done. Eat a meal that makes you feel good and then do some planning. It really can be frustrating when you are hungry and there is food all around you and you can't eat.

Wheat free, dairy free, gluten free frozen waffles (Van Horn or Trader Joe's are two brands)
    Quinoa/corn blend pasta (pretty good) or rice pasta (only some rice pasta is edible....Trader Joe's is good, others not). Careful, these are very easy to overcook and then they become slimy. Yuck!

Corn tortilla shells, heated until pliable make reasonable bread substitution - I've not found any wheat free bread I like as well in a dozen years of trying. Tapioca bread, toasted, is the closest to decent alternative bread that I've tried.

Try learning to cook various ethnic foods, many have much less reliance on wheat as a staple, and can be safe or with a few substitutions are suitable.

Good luck.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    If it makes you feel better...I do get the whole I"M SICK OF THINKING OF FOOD ALL THE TIME...some days I feel the same. Sometimes it feels like a punishment having to watch food all the time.

It does get easier, you just gotta push through it. I think alot of us are in the same boat with the having to watch it constantly...reading labels, measured out food, going to different stores to get healthier stuff you name it...different reasons, but same feelings.

Hang in though!!! Eventually it just becomes a way of life if you stick with it and some days you just need to tell your negative talk in your head to SHUT UP...do it often enough and eventually you'll train your brain to be more positive.

Best of luck! You can do it...BE TENACIOUS!!!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I really do feel your pain. Today I went to a show for bioresearch products.

They had pastries, coffee cake, bagels, and muffins for the morning.
    At noon they had sandwiches and pizza.

I had.... one cup of orange juice. I could have had coffee, I suppose, but NOTHING else there was wheat free and I get very sick for about 10 days when I eat wheat. I have not eaten it in a dozen years.

I walked outside, free icecream. I can't eat dairy either. Come on, world, have a little variety that involves fruits, veggies, and other choices.:wink:
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a wonderful friend who is "in your boat", yes. I have learned how to make a lot of celiec-friendly foods because of her.

In her case, she went the other way. She got depressed and we could hardly make her eat. But her doc said that it's common to swing between that and "compensation binging". Finding that middle ground is what you need to do, and hard as it is, you have friends at MFP who are behind you!!!

Success!!!
  • LHawk616
    Options
    I've had Celiac for 3 years now and I find that since I've been diagnosed life it a lot harder, not to mention I have a hard time losing weight. Mostly b/c most gluten free products are very high in fat :(

But it does get easier, and I find it a lot easier when you just cook & bake your own things. I have a bread maker and you can just throw a gluten free bread mix in it and 3 hrs loaf you have a decent loaf of bread. It's also a little cheaper.
  • alannacoffey
    Options
    I'm right there with you!
  • disbey
    disbey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and have been gluten free for 3 years. I would be more than happy to help if you have any questions about dieting, what kinds of food I eat, what kinds of gluten free foods taste good, and all my other living gluten-free tips and tricks :smile:
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I typed "gluten free cookbook" into amazon and TONS of highly rated books came up.

For example, "gluten free baking classics" has 107 five star ratings

I'd recommend you see a nutritionist to make meal plans or at least check out some books at the local library or buy them if you know they are highly rated by other people with celiac.

Good luck!
    :smile:
  • Keegiejae
    Keegiejae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've just started the GF diet and it's been a bit of an adjustment as far as bread is concerned, but I ate relatively little of that before hand. The only reason I find it necessary now is the need for a quickly packable/eatable lunch for my medical school rotations (surgery + eating don't mix greatly). Snacks were also a little hard, but there are a ton of GF/DF bars, yes I have both issues.
    As far as dieting, I eat a lot of whole foods, at least a salad a day and then almost always oatmeal with pb or a cereal mixed with yogurt (soy) in the a.m. Eggs are also a great filler and flexible for any meal. I can give you a greater idea of my diet if you need any more thoughts.
  • Sunners
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, but I was diagnosed with Celiac more than 10 years ago. I've found weight loss particularly hard, because as some people mentioned, GF foods tend to be high in fat. To the person who recommended oatmeal - I know, at least for me, I can't have oatmeal (or malt, or barley) or any grains except rice and corn.

Then there's the added factor that before I was diagnosed, I'd always been skinny (because my body wasn't getting enough nourishment), then when I followed my GF diet, I gained a lot of weight. Anyone else have this? I was diagnosed young, so puberty also played a part, I'm sure, but it was disconcerting, nonetheless.

Does anyone have particular tips for losing weight while still maintaining a GF diet? My daily caloric intake is usually under MFP's suggestions, but I always go over on protein and fat (and under on carbs - imagine that :wink:).

For others new to GF or Celiac disease, I will say that Mexican food has been my saving grace. Not necessarily the greasy American-Mex like Taco Bell, but fresh Mexican food is almost always made with rice and corn, so you don't have to substitute the gluten products, which helps the feeling of being cheated out of "the real stuff."
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just started gluten and dairy free diet about a month ago - I haven't been "diagnosed" celiac, but I don't think I need a blood test to tell me not to eat it - I feel better, so I'm not going back!

It is hard to think about food all the time. I tend to eat natural, unproccessed foods, so it's not too much of a change. However, going out to eat is really annoying. I hate having people make plans around my needs and I feel like I'm constantly "oh I can't eat anything there" or I am constantly looking things up online for the restaurants we are going to.

I'm nervous because I'm thin - but, I'm afraid it's because my nutrients have not been getting absorbed. eeek we'll see!

I AGREE WITH THE MEXICAN FOOD! I eat it so much now! Corn tortillas are my saving grace!
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just started gluten and dairy free diet about a month ago - I haven't been "diagnosed" celiac, but I don't think I need a blood test to tell me not to eat it - I feel better, so I'm not going back!

It is hard to think about food all the time. I tend to eat natural, unproccessed foods, so it's not too much of a change. However, going out to eat is really annoying. I hate having people make plans around my needs and I feel like I'm constantly "oh I can't eat anything there" or I am constantly looking things up online for the restaurants we are going to.

I'm nervous because I'm thin - but, I'm afraid it's because my nutrients have not been getting absorbed. eeek we'll see!

I AGREE WITH THE MEXICAN FOOD! I eat it so much now! Corn tortillas are my saving grace!
  • equinegirl200
    equinegirl200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed celiac about 8 years ago.

I LOVED breads, cookies, pasta, cakes, etc. thats about all I ate before! Believe me, while it is a big change it does get easier, the cravings subside, and you feel better! You are lucky that you are just starting now, there is s whole lot more to choose from, and things are labeled so much better now than they were 8 years ago. People know what I mean now when I say I have to be gluten free, before they would wrinkle their nose and say "what?" haha. It does get easier, and it forces me to eat healthier, to plan my meals more, to learn to cook, and to not eat those yummy terrible-for-you processed foods that so many people live on.

I really think that it is a blessing in disguise. I now eat foods I never dreamed I would ever eat, and they are so much better for me. I believe that I will live a longer, healthier life being gluten free. The hardest part for me is getting enough fiber, but there are ways to do it, it just takes practice! Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!
  • wade1055
    wade1055 Posts: 3
    Options
    AMEN Sister.