Fitness Calories???

Options
Hi There, I am new to MFP and I wanted to see if I am eating the right amount of food per day. I have been working out lots...average 1-2 hours per day. That being said, I have chosen the more agressive 2 lbs per week weight loss (have a wedding coming up in a few months), and my calories per day without exercise is a little over 1300. My exercizes per day give me anywhere from an extra 400- 900 calories depending on what activities I am doing and for how long.

My question is, should I be eating the extra calories or try to stick to the 1300. I don't want to sabotage all of my hard work, just wanted to know if I should try to consume the alloted goal calories per day. I know when I work out more, am definitely more hungry.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat a few of them back. MFP estimates high when it comes to fitness calories so I would not eat them all back BUT listen to your body if it is hungry eat something healthy!
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    MFP already works out a deficiet for u so u need to NET at 1300 (if that is what they recommend)
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi There, I am new to MFP and I wanted to see if I am eating the right amount of food per day. I have been working out lots...average 1-2 hours per day. That being said, I have chosen the more agressive 2 lbs per week weight loss (have a wedding coming up in a few months), and my calories per day without exercise is a little over 1300. My exercizes per day give me anywhere from an extra 400- 900 calories depending on what activities I am doing and for how long.

My question is, should I be eating the extra calories or try to stick to the 1300. I don't want to sabotage all of my hard work, just wanted to know if I should try to consume the alloted goal calories per day. I know when I work out more, am definitely more hungry.

Any suggestions?

eat some/ most of these calories back
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    eat them all, if you don't you will not have enough fuel and your body will break down muscle, not just fat to use as fuel.

Eating 1300 cals and burning say 800, would be like eating 500 caloires (1300-800), which is not enough for anyone.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Age/height/weight etc.

You could probably eat back 1/2 of what you estimate during workouts if you want to be really agressive.
  • iambatman41
    iambatman41 Posts: 37
    Options
    Eat back about half the exercise calories.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    unless you are using an HRM to log your exercise do NOT eat back all your exercise cals. The numbers this site has on their database tend to be very high on most. If you follow their numbers you will be eating back more than you burned and not lose...perhaps even gain weight. Also, don't get carried away logging everyday activities, such as cleaning or walking the dog. Again, doing this will cause you to have way too many exercise cals to eat. Everyday activities like that should just be factored in when you set your goals in settings...it would determine your lifestyle as sedentary, moderatly active, etc. Log your actual workouts and measure your food. Aim for a net of the 1200-1300 a day. (If this is how you are set up).
  • sheilareinhart1
    Options
    My stats are female, 36 years old, 5 ft 8in tall and started 3 weeks ago at 248lbs, now 239.6...YAYYY! I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. Thanks for all of the input!