What's a Serving Size?

Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
Every day, we are faced with many different sources of nutrition from which to choose. Some nutrition experts tell us to base our choices on a food pyramid, some use a point system and others recommend use of prepackaged meals. Wouldn’t it be healthier to learn how to eat regular foods and watch our portion sizes?

Learning to eat the right amount of food can help prevent overeating and may even help shed a few pounds. This is very important step in our eating habits because of the growing number of obese adults and children in the nation.

Serving sizes can be estimated without the use of measuring cups and scales. After all, how many of us carry these devices with us when we go to a restaurant?

Comparing for Size

Serving sizes can be compared to everyday objects in order to determine by sight the appropriate food portion. This is not the same as a person's recommended daily amount of certain nutrients. To determine your daily dietary needs, it is best to consult your physician or a registered dietitian. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture's MyPyramid Web site.

Below are some common, everyday items that can be comparatively used to determine the serving size of various foods.

The amounts listed of the following foods are roughly the equivalent of the size of a woman's fist or a computer mouse:

1 cup of cold cereal (flakes)
1 medium baked potato
1 cup of cut fruit
1 cup of salad greens
The amount of the following foods are approximately the size of a tennis ball or baseball:

1 cup rice or pasta
1 medium size fruit
Additional examples of approximate portion size include:

1 pancake
size of a compact disc (CD)

1 piece of cornbread
size of an audio cassette

1 medium bagel
size of a hockey puck

1/2 cup cooked broccoli
size of a lightbulb

1/2 cup fresh fruit
size of 7 cotton balls

1/4 cup raisins
size of a large egg

3 oz cooked chicken
size of a chicken leg, thigh or breast

3 oz cooked fish
size of a checkbook

3 oz cooked meat
size of a man’s palm or a deck of cards

Benefits of Proper Portions

When determining serving sizes, remember that the measurement includes the food's length, height and thickness.

These serving estimations can help when dining out. You'll develop better control of the quantities of food you are eating. This can help avoid overeating that occurs when people consume too large of a portion of food. Leftovers can always be taken home and enjoyed later.

It’s never too late to begin eating proper serving sizes. The above comparisons can be a helpful tool to use for the rest of your life. Teaching children these tricks can help develop lifelong healthy eating habits as well.

http://www.healthylivingonline.com/library/articlesNew/whatcountsasservingsie.cfm

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Every day, we are faced with many different sources of nutrition from which to choose. Some nutrition experts tell us to base our choices on a food pyramid, some use a point system and others recommend use of prepackaged meals. Wouldn’t it be healthier to learn how to eat regular foods and watch our portion sizes?

Learning to eat the right amount of food can help prevent overeating and may even help shed a few pounds. This is very important step in our eating habits because of the growing number of obese adults and children in the nation.

Serving sizes can be estimated without the use of measuring cups and scales. After all, how many of us carry these devices with us when we go to a restaurant?

Comparing for Size

Serving sizes can be compared to everyday objects in order to determine by sight the appropriate food portion. This is not the same as a person's recommended daily amount of certain nutrients. To determine your daily dietary needs, it is best to consult your physician or a registered dietitian. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture's MyPyramid Web site.

Below are some common, everyday items that can be comparatively used to determine the serving size of various foods.

The amounts listed of the following foods are roughly the equivalent of the size of a woman's fist or a computer mouse:

1 cup of cold cereal (flakes)
    1 medium baked potato
    1 cup of cut fruit
    1 cup of salad greens
    The amount of the following foods are approximately the size of a tennis ball or baseball:

1 cup rice or pasta
    1 medium size fruit
    Additional examples of approximate portion size include:

1 pancake
    size of a compact disc (CD)

1 piece of cornbread
    size of an audio cassette

1 medium bagel
    size of a hockey puck

1/2 cup cooked broccoli
    size of a lightbulb

1/2 cup fresh fruit
    size of 7 cotton balls

1/4 cup raisins
    size of a large egg

3 oz cooked chicken
    size of a chicken leg, thigh or breast

3 oz cooked fish
    size of a checkbook

3 oz cooked meat
    size of a man’s palm or a deck of cards

Benefits of Proper Portions

When determining serving sizes, remember that the measurement includes the food's length, height and thickness.

These serving estimations can help when dining out. You'll develop better control of the quantities of food you are eating. This can help avoid overeating that occurs when people consume too large of a portion of food. Leftovers can always be taken home and enjoyed later.

It’s never too late to begin eating proper serving sizes. The above comparisons can be a helpful tool to use for the rest of your life. Teaching children these tricks can help develop lifelong healthy eating habits as well.

http://www.healthylivingonline.com/library/articlesNew/whatcountsasservingsie.cfm
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    check this site out. I love the quizes, they really made me think. The one about portion control was really helpful, but there are more on the site that were very interesting.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/quizzes.asp
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    That was very helpful. Thank you :drinker:
  • Healthier_Me
    Very welcome Sindy :bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Eponaa
    Eponaa Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you! This is one thing I struggle with, I'm used to a heaping huge plate of food...so I started using the side plates from my set, rather than the larger full size ones. It keeps me more aware of how much I really should be eating, and it is helping me teach my sons about portions as well.
  • Healthier_Me
    You are very welcome :bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou: