Couch to 5K for 200lb + Peeps?

Options
jilliew
jilliew Posts: 255 Member
I have been walking with my dog pretty well every day for the last year, and it's gotten to the point where I'm walking as fast as I can without running and I feel like I'm not working that hard (which is fantastic!). So I thought I'd try this C25K deal. I have never run or jogged in my whole life.

I've seen other topics of people praising this system, but none of them look very large. I'm just wondering if any 200lb + peeps out there have done the program and what you think of it? Any tips? Am I going to die? o_O

Replies

• miss_september
    Options
    Well, I haven't done the couch to 5k program, but I have been running 2+ miles 2-4 times per week since my starting weight two years ago (around 250), so I don't think it will kill you =-).
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I started C25K a 215. You will not die. Get good shoes.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started at 240ish. Get fitted for shoes from a running store and take it slow. Best if you can find a packed trail at the park or something similar to get started on. Repeat weeks as necessary, which for me was week 3, 5 & 7. I have since run several Half Marathons, a Half Ironman and will be doing my first full Ironman in less than 17 weeks. C25K is what got me started.

Good Luck.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 242 pounds and started week 8 yesterday. I was over 250 when I started so I say that yes it definitely can be done. Everyone is different, but the best advice I have is to go slow. Endurance is more important than speed when you are starting off. Don't be ashamed if you have to repeat days or weeks before moving on. Good luck to you.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You can do it. =] I didn't complete it (yet) but I've found it to be a great program so far.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started it today and my weight this morning is 247lbs! I have only been walking about 5 weeks so I found the day 1 challenging today! I had to modify it to get it done but I finished out the time. I guess we will see how it goes! I will be repeating week 1 for sure next week.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yup, I completed it last year at 200+ and ran a few races in the fall - FUN!! The goals this year are to improve my 5k time and to complete a 10k race and still be alive and vertical at the end. Planning a Warrier Dash with the DH in July. You can do it! As others said, take it slow (even if it feels too slow - speed WILL come!), repeat weeks as necessary, and take short strides so you don't strike the ground with your heels (to reduce the jarring/pounding).

Best of luck!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, all! I was going to start on Tuesday but it was raining and I didn't feel like smelling my wet dog all night, so we had a nice treadmill workout instead. It's nice and sunny today, though, so I will probably start after work tonight! Ah! Maybe I will be able to run a half marathon with my sister someday!
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the C5K for 2 weeks now and love it.....and im still alive. There are a few different versions to choose from so choose the one thats best for you.
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the C5K for 2 weeks now and love it.....and im still alive. There are a few different versions to choose from so choose the one thats best for you.
    I forgot to add I was 216 when I started and I am now 211.