Do you log your gum?

I'm dying to know how picky other people are about logging. I've often considered whether I should be logging stuff like gum. I see that people log their vitamins (they say that in their posts), and it made me think that I chew a lot of gum, but have never logged it.

I've also thought about logging the tiniest bits of exercise - i.e. can I log two hours of commuting time, if I drive standard? How many calories do I burn if I hit traffic? How many calories do I burn if I chew my gum for twenty minutes before I spit it out? Does it offset the calories? What if I chew for an hour?

Just curious if anyone else is finding that now that they've started doing this, they find they are constantly obsessed about every little thing they eat and every little expenditure of energy they do throughout the day.

I haven't logged my gum... yet.

Laurie

Replies

• lmyers
    lmyers Posts: 2
    I'm dying to know how picky other people are about logging. I've often considered whether I should be logging stuff like gum. I see that people log their vitamins (they say that in their posts), and it made me think that I chew a lot of gum, but have never logged it.

I've also thought about logging the tiniest bits of exercise - i.e. can I log two hours of commuting time, if I drive standard? How many calories do I burn if I hit traffic? How many calories do I burn if I chew my gum for twenty minutes before I spit it out? Does it offset the calories? What if I chew for an hour?

Just curious if anyone else is finding that now that they've started doing this, they find they are constantly obsessed about every little thing they eat and every little expenditure of energy they do throughout the day.

I haven't logged my gum... yet.

Laurie
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I'm not that obsessed.

If I do some heavy duty house cleaning, then I'll log that in but other than that... no.
    And when I'm in the kitchen from 1-2 hours preparing & cooking/baking foods, I'll log that in also.

The driving thing and chewing gum thing... I wouldn't do that.

I do take Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops when I have a craving for something that I shouldn't have and they're 15 calories each so I guess I should be entering that.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    If you chew sugarfree gum, it is like 2 calories. I burn that just trying to find the packet of gum in the bottom of my purse, so I don't log it.
  • cmlock
    cmlock Posts: 18 Member
    you can not be serious....
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    At first, I did log the gum, but I think I probably burn the 5 calories in a piece of Trident Sugarless Gum just chewing it...I don't log it anymore.
    If the gum has sugar in it, I would log it. You would probably be surprised how many calories are in some gum.
    As for the driving, I wouldn't do it. That isn't even enough to worry about. It's up to you. I only log my exercise.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    I wonder how many calories we burn chewing that gum?
  • I wonder the same little things. it makes a big difference when you're down to your last snack of the day and are out of calories! :)
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    i have read that cinnamon is a fat burner and that there is value in chewing cinnamon flavored gum for that very reason. i'm not a big gum chewer but i do use cinnamon in whatever i can.
  • time2wrk
    I wonder if they are REAL cinnamon or just cinnamon-flavored (?). Kind of like the difference between cheese and processed cheese food, ha ha. I guess as long as it is sugar free it wouldn't matter.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,941 Member
    Ok, I think we're ALL more than addicted - more like OBSESSED! ;-) That is so funny, because after you do this for a while, you do start to think of things like that (gum, driving, three flights of steps to my room, etc.!)

I have to log the one supplement I take that is 14g Fat, because that is MORE than 50% of my allotted fat, and it really makes the rest of the day a challenge. Some days I just don't take it so I can enjoy some food with fat (like peanut butter - mmm) on that day.

And I find that I tend to dismiss small discrepancies due to lack of time in a day to worry about every little detail. Some battles are better left "un-fought".

thanks for the giggle!

~cm
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    I'm neurotic about logging every bit of food that passes my lips, and I'm also lazy. This is a winning combo, I'm finding. Oh, I could take a candy out of the jar on our receptionist's desk, but then I'd have to log it . . . this feeds into a theory I have going. My skinniest friends are all indifferent towards food. As one friend put it. "Eating's low on my priority list. It's dull, tedious, a chore."
  • nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    Apparently chewing gum actually increases your metabolism because it makes you salivate and tricks your body into thinking it's eating...or something along those lines.
    I believe I may have heard it off Oprah.
  • time2wrk
    mehughes, that is an awesome way of looking at it - I never thought of that! "Oh, no, I don't want to eat that because I would have to actually GO to my computer. Then I would have to log ON to it. Then I would have to actually TYPE something..." hahahahahaha, thank you that will make me think twice before munching out!
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Yeah, but time2work, you are on here as much as I am, so you must find this fun to do. hee hee
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    I actually developed a theoretical "Circle of Slothdom," in which the true sloth dies of starvation because of total lack of motivation to feed oneself.

This spawned a Nachos and Beer diet (during hockey season) which was wildly successful for a time . . .
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,941 Member
    mehughes:

:laugh:

that's hilarious!

~cm
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Ha!, I love it. Course, I think the calories you take in with gum (sugar free atleast), are acutally
    less then it takes to chew the gum itself, so in gum's case, I think you can skip it.
    or else, if your gonna be that obesssed, wouldn't you also have to put in

Chewed gum 30 minutes... 20 cals

in the cardio exercise section?