Why does a fatter/larger person need more calories?

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    i have always been a bit surprised at just how much larger people are supposed to eat and still lose weight. Part of the reason people get big is because they don't have a good understanding of portion size etc. So I do think although they do need more, they should eat nearer to "normal" size people just to get their appetite used to eating a normal diet. If that makes sense!
    Yeah, I often say everyone joining MFP should track what they eat in a normal week before changing anything (measuring portions too) just to get an idea of how many calories they were eating before trying to lose weight.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Putting in my stats when beginning on MFP and telling what my desired goal was, MFP assigned me 1200 calories. I started at 249, yet it still gave me 1200 as my intake amount. Since I've lost 30 lbs so far, in recalculating, it upped it to 1600, which I will not do. I will continue down the 1200 path, as I am pretty content with how my loss is going.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've put on more muscle than I had 40 pounds ago, so why am I not burning more? .

I've read that the calorie burning advantage of extra muscle has been greatly exaggerated, at least for ordinary people, or maybe it was people trying to lose weight.

I'm not saying to give up strength training, only that the idea that extra muscle is going to burn up a zillion calories is not correct.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Because bigger people burn more calories doing simple daily activities.

Why do I burn more calories? Because I'm carrying around so much weight? If so, then why bother building up muscle?

I know these are ridiculously stupid questions, but I'm sick wondering.

Because muscle will help you do those daily activities, while fat is just dead weight we are carrying around.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    In the OP, he says, "the minimum someone should eat is "bodyweight * 10" in calories. Multiply your weight by 10, if you're eating below that number, you're not eating enough."

^ This is not accurate!

Agree. VERY much off. Use your BMR and TDEE as a guideline, not some ridiculously blunt formula. I get SO FRUSTRATED about people posting crap on MFP that is contrary to the whole MFP system.

A large person needs more calories because there is MORE of them for the body to keep alive. It is really quite simple.

It's not a bad rule of thumb for me, a fairly low weight person who is sedentary. It's also in the same ball park as what Fitbit thinks I should be eating, although Fitbit's estimate starts a little lower.

What MFP "system"? The site provides guidelines to be modified as necessary.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

MFP does a lot of the work for you behind the scenes to make it easy for people, but at its core, it's still a system based on figuring out your BMR and estimating how many calories you burn beyond that (based on what you input for daily Activity Level, and what you put into your exercise diary).
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    In the OP, he says, "the minimum someone should eat is "bodyweight * 10" in calories. Multiply your weight by 10, if you're eating below that number, you're not eating enough."

^ This is not accurate!

Agree. VERY much off. Use your BMR and TDEE as a guideline, not some ridiculously blunt formula. I get SO FRUSTRATED about people posting crap on MFP that is contrary to the whole MFP system.

A large person needs more calories because there is MORE of them for the body to keep alive. It is really quite simple.

It's not a bad rule of thumb for me, a fairly low weight person who is sedentary. It's also in the same ball park as what Fitbit thinks I should be eating, although Fitbit's estimate starts a little lower.

It may work for some people, but that is just due to coincidence not because it is a good rule. It fails to take into consideration activity level, age, and height, all of which affect how many calories a person needs.

MFP's system is based on calculating your metabolic rate based on age, weight, height and then using your daily activity to create your TDEE, and then cut from there. That is how the site is set up. Yes you can manually ticker with it but this basic idea is the foudation of this entire website.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I should be eating 2,200....If the above is true, then why doesn't MFP start me at the correct calories..??...It has me eating 1,200....

Never mind, just read the answer above.......
  • 1fbg
    1fbg Posts: 3
    Options
    Very well put!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Mostly I'm very frustrated with myself for not understanding how all this math and ideas fit in with me losing weight. I've put on more muscle than I had 40 pounds ago, so why am I not burning more? If I burned more at 313 and doing nothing, why am I burning less at 267 and exercising 5-6 times a week, and why does the latter not lower my weight?

I'm eating more fruits and veggies, drinking enough water (about 80 ounces) that I have to get up and pee 3 times a night, exercising, and building muscles. I cut back on portions, measure and weight foods, and pushed out my delicious BBQ chips. Sadly, I can't forget what I've learned and go back to that stressless time when I didn't know about BMR, TDEE and Jillian Michaels.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - This is basically the number of calories you burn in a day. It includes everything, the 200 calories on a treadmill you banged out, the 0.02 calories you burned having a bowel movement, the calories you're burning right now just by breathing.

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - This is essentially your TDEE minus the calories you burn through exercise. It's the energy your body needs just to survive.

A bigger person, for both TDEE and BMR, will burn more calories. Jog a 5k, gauge your exhaustion level. Now jog a 5k carrying a 50 lb ruck sack. It's much more difficult because your body needs to burn more calories to generate the additional energy required to move those 50 lbs. If you weighed 50 lbs more, your body would need to burn those additional calories at all times, for every step or breath or bite you take, and not just for exercise.

A good rule of thumb is to make sure you eat above your BMR, but below your TDEE. This is why a larger person needs more calories to lose weight in a safe and healthy fashion. Their BMR is higher than a smaller person, so that's a higher minimum calorie intake they need to consider. People with more weight to lose can sustain larger calorie deficits safely, but starting small and adding more stringent measures as necessary is, in my opinion, your best bet.

If you are eating less than your TDEE, you will lose weight. It won't be a linear process (I had a 3500 calorie deficit, why am I not 1 lb lighter?) because of bodily functions like water retention and such. You will, however, over time, lose weight.

The biggest problem that I think people have is that they don't accurately estimate calorie intake and/or expenditure. The formulas touted are just estimations, as are the numbers spewed out by your HRM or what have you. Eyeballing measurements for estimations of food intake is also notoriously inaccurate. Starting with the calculations given to you, and then adjusting from there to find what works for you, is a safe (albeit slightly longer) way to go.

Good luck.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    it takes more calories for a heavier person Just to survive.... (the bare minimum daily functions of the body).
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that calculation is right. If so I would be supposed to eat 1060 calories, which is frowned upon on here.
  • kstallea
    kstallea Posts: 2
    Options
    Most of your tissues are metabolically active even while you do nothing. The more tissue in your body (this includes fat) the more calories your body burns doing nothing, therefore it needs more Calories, not necessarily that many though.

This doesn't consider the amount of tissue in your body that is fat vs. muscle. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat and therefore burns more Calories doing nothing, which is why strength training and exercise are important in weight loss.

Eating your weight x 10 is a vague equasion to figure out how to maintain your weight, if you were to do nothing. If you exercise, but still eat that many Calories, the Calories you burn would be a defecit in total in vs out and contribute to your weight loss. Same goes for eating fewer Calories.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - This is basically the number of calories you burn in a day. It includes everything, the 200 calories on a treadmill you banged out, the 0.02 calories you burned having a bowel movement, the calories you're burning right now just by breathing.

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - This is essentially your TDEE minus the calories you burn through exercise. It's the energy your body needs just to survive.

I know I'm nitpicking here, but just to avoid confusion, keep in mind that BMR is the calories you would burn if you were basically in a coma. You burn a certain amount of calories just moving around in a day that you probably wouldn't classify as "exercise", but are still not part of BMR.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    does it take more gas to drive a Suburban than a MiniCooper? Why?

Same reasoning with large/small people.

Larger people use more energy because it's harder work to move around.
  • saral8981
    saral8981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was reading some of these posts.. to lose weight, should I be eaating my body weight x10? beucase I have been using this program for three weeks and I have actuall GAINED weight, at 1200 calories a day (which is NOT my body weight x10, it is much less) could I be eatinf too little?
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    op r u eating back your calories burnt?
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Because bigger people burn more calories doing simple daily activities.

Why do I burn more calories? Because I'm carrying around so much weight? If so, then why bother building up muscle?

I know these are ridiculously stupid questions, but I'm sick wondering.

Because bigger people have more muscle (and fat and overall body mass) and it simply takes more energy to maintain. You don't necessarily want to build up muscle, but you don't want to lose it. The idea is to minimize muscle loss (retain as much lean body mass as possible) while maximizing fat loss. The only way to do this is slowly--create a small calorie deficit over a longer period of time. Anytime you lose weight you will lose both muscle and fat--it can't be avoided, but you want to retain as much muscle as possible because 1) you need it!! to run, walk, take out the trash, work in the garden, pet the dog/cat etc; 2) people with more muscle mass look skinnier and leaner; and 3) it takes more calories to maintain it.

The big mistake people make when they want to lose weight is to drastically cut calories to the point where, yes, they're losing weight, but a lot of that weight is muscle. It's really hard to get that back. If you eat enough protein to fuel your muscles, your body will work to maintain (or build) the muscle and burn the fat.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    I was reading some of these posts.. to lose weight, should I be eaating my body weight x10? beucase I have been using this program for three weeks and I have actuall GAINED weight, at 1200 calories a day (which is NOT my body weight x10, it is much less) could I be eatinf too little?

It's hard to answer that without knowing some more specific information about you (the same info you entered into your fitness profile on this site): gender, age, height, weight, and daily activity level (Sedentary, Lightly Active, etc).
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I know I'm nitpicking here, but just to avoid confusion, keep in mind that BMR is the calories you would burn if you were basically in a coma. You burn a certain amount of calories just moving around in a day that you probably wouldn't classify as "exercise", but are still not part of BMR.

I figured it would make a little more sense, if not exactly accurate.