Women's clothing sizes

Options
OK, I'm not sure that this is the proper forum for this question but it is one that has puzzled me for a long time. And this may well be a silly question.

After seeing some of the before and after photos in another topic here, one person states the weight they were and they wore a size 22 jeans. Lost 60 lbs ( or something like that) and got into size 16 jeans. I weigh 226 lbs and I am wearing size 24 jeans (baggy though.) I have some size 20s in my drawer and there's no way I can get into them yet. I have to be down around 150 to get into a size 16! I see this all the time in weight loss ads. How come others that are heavier than me can wear so many sizes smaller? I do have quite a bit of stomach out front. I suppose that's the reason. Has anybody else found they are in a similar situation?

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    im 148 right now and im in a 8, so i have no idea how you would be in a 16 at 150.....

womens clothes sizes are jacked, that i admit, cause theres this pair of 10's in my closet that are waaayy too small for me right now but i tend to go with Levi sizes for accuracy. they seem to have normal sizing...

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: .
  • jewely82
    jewely82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a person's height. I'm really short so there are people that are the same weight as I am that wear smaller sizes than I do.
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the "shape" of a woman's body... like banana, apple, pear, or hourglass. I am def a pear shape, so I will ALWAYS wear a bigger jean and a smaller top. Maybe you are the same?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    How do you figure you have to be down to 150 to be a 16? That seems seriously large for 150 pounds. Yet you can't really know what size you will wear until you are actually at that weight because everyone's body is so different. When I started out my weight loss, I weighed 190 and was in a tight 12. I have lost 25 pounds (weigh 164 now) and can now wear a 10 though I like my baggy 12s :) I can also fit into an 8 but they are tight.

Don't worry too much about the size...it's all about how you look, and if you lose the pounds people will notice! :happy: So keep up the good work :flowerforyou:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    There are many factors at work here.....Height vs weight (the taller you are the more body area to spread the weight out over), body shape (eg where you carry your weight), muscle tone (muscle weighs more than fat so an athletic person could weigh more but be smaller than an unfit person of the same clothing size), individual manufacturer's cut & sizing.

Personally, I am wearing the same size (16) as when I started 42lbs ago. Some fit loosely, some are downright baggy & others look okay for a few hours then get really baggy--the weight of my cell phone makes them fall right off my hips unless I wear a belt. Ironically, all of them are Levi's bootcut 560's just bought at different times.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    ladies, don't forget to take height into consideration

someone 5'2 at 150 llbs might not be the same size as someone 5'7 at 150 lbs... one might take a larger size while the later be a smaller size....shape, height, bone structure all come into play....
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It's all about the body type. I'm 190 and can wear a bikini because my body is proportioned just right.. People will say "Wow you look really good".. and then my twin sis will blurt out "She's 190 lbs!" I'm like "HEY!":grumble: But I can't wait til I get to my goal weight.. Then I won't care if she blurts out "She's 150 lbs" I can't wait for her to put me on blast like that.. lol :tongue:
  • emilianawest
    Options
    I agree. I was a 24 at 295, but I'm also 5'10. I'm 245 now and in a 14/16.

When I was bulimic, I would focus so hard on these numbers. The numbers are a gauge, but not the be all, end all. I just want to feel healthy, not have excess body fat hanging over whatever size pants look the healthiest on me. I try to focus on what looks good on me here and now, because fashion is fickle and will constantly change - size 10 today is not size 10 years ago. Even every designer makes their sizes different.

Take every day as an opportunity to improve because we are who we are and who we are isnt defined by a size. Best luck and best wishes! Keep in touch!

Emi
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Here's an eye-opener for you...

A couple years ago I was shopping for jeans at the mall. I wandered into American Eagle and was thrilled to see that they had jeans on sale for $20! I took a pair of 8's into the dressing room since I had about 6 or 7 pairs of American Eagle size 8's at home and was positive they'd fit- I usually don't even try them on when I'm shopping there- they're the only store int he world that fits me perfectly.

Anyhow, I couldn't even get the 8 up pasy my mid-thigh. I thought perhaps the pair I had was mis-marked, or that I'd gained some weight :ohwell: so I went back out and got a different pair of 8's and a 10. Went back in- same thing with the 8's. I could get the 10's up (barely) but could not button them- not even close. Beginning to see what was happening, I went out and got a pair of 8's that *were not* on sale ($60-something, I think:grumble: ) and tried on the 8's- fit perfectly, and in fact were a tiny bit too big.

When I asked the girl working there, she (shockingly) was very honest, and said that it's a marketing ploy- most girls are willing to spend extra money to buy the 8's instead of the 12's.

So, the moral of my story is: size is just a number- don't get hung up on it. :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had a friend who was always heavier than I was, but wore at least one size smaller- it was a matter of where we carried our weight.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    what does it matter you are the only one that knows what the inside tag says
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    OK, I'm not sure that this is the proper forum for this question but it is one that has puzzled me for a long time. And this may well be a silly question.

After seeing some of the before and after photos in another topic here, one person states the weight they were and they wore a size 22 jeans. Lost 60 lbs ( or something like that) and got into size 16 jeans. I weigh 226 lbs and I am wearing size 24 jeans (baggy though.) I have some size 20s in my drawer and there's no way I can get into them yet. I have to be down around 150 to get into a size 16! I see this all the time in weight loss ads. How come others that are heavier than me can wear so many sizes smaller? I do have quite a bit of stomach out front. I suppose that's the reason. Has anybody else found they are in a similar situation?

I'm the complete opposite. I weigh about 270-275 (fluctuates as it's going down) and I'm in a size 18. How tall are you?? I'm 5'8 so height does have something to do with it.
  • Shelley130
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am always wearing the biggest size even if I'm not the biggest in the room.

Start 5'5" ~ 248 ~ size 22 pants
    Current 5'5" ~ 228 ~ size 22 pants

I carry a lot of my weight in the belly so I think that is why. They say when you're thinner every 10lbs lost is a size. We shall see.....
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends not only on a person's height and shape, but on the brand of clothing itself.

When I started this journey, I weighed 280 and fit into a size 24 jeans. But I only found ONE brand of jeans that I could fit into and that looked right to me! I've stuck with that brand (they're from K-Mart, lol, very cheap yet they fit well and last... I think they're Paris Blue or something??) and am now in a size 20. I tried an 18 the other day and they fit, but very snuggly! I wouldn't wear them in public, lol. But, point is... I'm 140 now.

I can also fit into size 16/18 dresses right now... depending on the brand.

So... it's almost as if we never truly know what size we are... :smile: Which could be a good thing, I guess!

I feel that as long as I look good naked, it doesn't matter what size jeans I'm buying! :bigsmile:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I was at 235 and wore anywhere from 20-24. I am now 202 and wear 18.
    It's weird. But my daughter weighs about 220 and wears a 15/16 but that's because she wears her jeans UNDER her belly not at her waist.
    So don't worry about it.
    You are losing weight and that's all that matters. You are getting healthy and no matter what size your clothes are, health is what counts!!!

Memaw
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Well here's a scenario....about 6 years ago I lost weight down to 165 pounds and was wearing a 14 and very happy to be! Well this time I've lost weight the healthier way - no phentermine like back then....I am down to 160.8 and I am in a 10 - I chalk it up to exercise. I never thought I'd make it to a 10 but now I am looking forward to an 8!

My point is by balancing exercise and diet, I've lost 2 more sizes!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have always had this issue and I think it depends on your build and body fat %. I will weigh less than people but wear a bigger pant size. I am 5'6" and weigh 145 and wear a size 12. (When I was 185 I wore an 18.)
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I'm the complete opposite. I weigh about 270-275 (fluctuates as it's going down) and I'm in a size 18. How tall are you?? I'm 5'8 so height does have something to do with it.
    When I wore an 18 I was 185 pounds-I'm 5'6". Interesting huh?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, weigh 265 and I wear an 18 pants and a 16 top. I have been working out hard for the last 8 months and have a lot of muscle.

When I started 75 lbs ago. I wore a tight 26. I had no muscle tone and a lot of flab
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    hi, women's sizing is crazy. Depending on who makes the clothimg. As an example juniors jeans at Kohls I can't get pass my thighs.I go to womens & I'm a six with stretch of course. Junior jeans are cut if you don't have hips. Exercise has a lot to with it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!