Antidepressants and weight Gain

Options
Has this happened to anyone? I gained 25-30 lbs in 4 months and am struggling to take it off. Any advice would be very helpful.

Replies

• draves21
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone? I gained 25-30 lbs in 4 months and am struggling to take it off. Any advice would be very helpful.
  • misslippy28
    misslippy28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! This happened to me as well after about 5 months of taking Lexapro. Just talk to your doctor about possibly switching to a new antidepressant. I take it for anxiety and we tried a couple others before I finally switched to wellbutrin XL. And now there is a generic for that one so it is cheap! When I expressed this concern with my first doctor, she blew me off and said my weight was fine, but I was not comfortable with a 12 pound gain in 5 months! So I found a new doctor, new medicine, and lost the weight, also with some help from exercise.
  • amthomps521
    Options
    I have been on Celexa and Lexapro(not at the same time of course) for the past 5 or 6 years after being on Prozac for a number of years. Ever since I made the switch I seem to gain weight much more easily and have a much more difficult time taking it off. I never mentioned it too my doctor as it's not a huge amount of weight and other than that the medication works great and I have NO other side effects. So here I am trying really hard to lose 15 lbs, again. I just weighed myself after 1 week after sticking to this almost perfectly-and I gained .4 lbs. That's been the story of my life ever since switching to Celexa/Lexapro. I am sticking to this for 3 more weeks, then I may talk to the doctor about switching to Wellbutrin or Effexor.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same trouble with Prozac, but I suspect it's more a pre-menopausal/menopausal problem, weight gain and trouble taking it ogg.
  • beep
    Options
    Guess I should read what I post, before I post any more oggs.
  • andrika11
    Options
    OGG?I'm a nurse and have never heard of that unless you made a mistake in typing.
  • beep
    Options
    That was supposed to be "off."
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor but the best antidepressant that I know is a daily gym exercise. Try it.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yes it has happened to me. And from now on I discuss the medications with my doctors when they want to change anything. Nothing to cause weight gain or mess up my blood sugars and he will work with you on it.:flowerforyou:
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I was on paxil for anxiety and gained 40 lbs in a year, 30 of which occurred in the first 4 months. I have been struggling to get the weight off. Last week I made the switch to prozac so hopefully that will help.