GAH! Apple or Banana shape!? I can't tell. And I'm curious.

Options
I know that I definitely don't classify into the Pear/Hourglass section. When I gain weight, it takes place in the upperbody. Now, before you jump to "Oh, you're an apple", there are still things that make me less of an apple and more of a banana, and there are some things that make me more like an apple and less like a banana.

Apples have a shoulder, bust, & waist measurement that are broader and wider than their hips. They tend to carry all/most of their weight in their stomach, not having much of a waist & very narrow hips to go along with it. They also carry weight in their arms, face, & chest size. Apple shaped women tend to have a larger bust. Apples also have more "skinny"/shapely legs.

Bananas have around the same measurement of their shoulders, waist, and hips, therefore making a "straight down" or "rectangle/ruler" shape. They tend to have smaller busts, unlike apples. I read somewhere that bananas also tend to gain in the buttocks, love handles, and in the mid-section mostly. Banana's legs are shapely.

Well, my measurements are 36-32-36. My shoulders are the same measurement as my hips and bust, and my cup size is a B/C. I have somewhat of a waist, and my legs aren't completely small compared to my upperbody. This is where I think I'm banana. However, I also feel like an apple sometimes because I lack a bottom in general and tend to carry mostly in my stomach/arms/face.

Here are 3 photos of me, from the front, side, and back.:
What do you think I am more of? (Because I think I'm somewhat both.)
Also, for the record, I'm 5'7", 152 lbs.

I just wish a little of the fat that was in my arms & face would go into my butt.. lolol. If only.

Replies

• strive2behealthy
    strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not because I want to know or anything......
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Horned melon
  • strive2behealthy
    Options
    Horned melon

That's funny.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I can't tell what fruit you're shaped like either, but I really think apples/pears/etc. were labels created to make people feel less alone about having big hips or a big midsection. I don't think you need a label.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    banana or ruler. Apples are more top heavy or barrel chested. You look pretty evenly distributed.
  • strive2behealthy
    Options
    Okay, I understand a lot of people think that the whole fruit labeling thing is stupid. But they're just small names for certain body types. I'm asking what my body type is. "Why does it matter"? Well, a lot matters. Your shape corresponds with your body TYPE. Ectomorphs, mesomorphs, endomorphs. There are certain diets & exercises that improve aspects of your body.

I honestly didn't post this thread for people to ask me why.. lol. Sorry if I seem annoyed, I just came here for simply "apple" or "banana"

Thanks.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Kumquat.
  • strive2behealthy
    Options
    Kumquat.

Sigh.. here we go again.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I can't tell what fruit you're shaped like either, but I really think apples/pears/etc. were labels created to make people feel less alone about having big hips or a big midsection. I don't think you need a label.

this!

and i'm 'hourglass' shape and i HATE it!
  • Ramseyyy
    Ramseyyy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Banana shape...but somehow I see hourglass too bcuz ur evenly distributed with a narrow waist
  • katemme
    Options
    Okay, I understand a lot of people think that the whole fruit labeling thing is stupid. But they're just small names for certain body types. I'm asking what my body type is. "Why does it matter"? Well, a lot matters. Your shape corresponds with your body TYPE. Ectomorphs, mesomorphs, endomorphs. There are certain diets & exercises that improve aspects of your body.

I honestly didn't post this thread for people to ask me why.. lol. Sorry if I seem annoyed, I just came here for simply "apple" or "banana"

Thanks.

I Would also wait and see when you drop more weight. Your measurements are hourglass. But maybe when more fat comes off you will get a more accurate 'shape'? For instance, my mom was hourglass, but she put on weight and now is more of an apple or pear shape. If she lost she'd get her shape back.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with an hourglass shape?

this!

• Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Sigh.. here we go again.

Some people just try to get under your skin, honey...ignore them. I think you're a banana. Are you sure you're not hourglass though?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    "Why does it matter"? Well, a lot matters. Your shape corresponds with your body TYPE. Ectomorphs, mesomorphs, endomorphs. There are certain diets & exercises that improve aspects of your body.

For example?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably a banana. Ur measurements doesn't seem like that of an apple. I don't really think where u gain at means what you are completely, because everyone is different. It's more about ur shoulders/bust-waist-hip ratio.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I hate hourglass shape too. Marilyn Monroe looked like such a horse.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Some people just try to get under your skin, honey...ignore them.

If by "get under your skin" mean "have a lighthearted time on a messageboard and try to get the point across that comparing oneself to fruit is meaningless", then yes, you are right.
  • downtownstazi
    downtownstazi Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would say banana.
  • katemme
    Options
    What's wrong with an hourglass shape?

this!

I don't like having my hips stick out.
  • soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    banana