Really confused...weigh food uncooked or cooked HELPP

So I eat chicken or turkey nearly every day, but I never really thought about the weight AFTER cooking, So I weighed my meat BEFORE heating in the oven and it weighed 200g I weighed it after cooking and it went down to 140g , Now when I'm entering my 'grams' into myfitnesspal, do I use the raw weight or the cooked weight :)

Please help, Im soooo confused!

Replies

• Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    The meat is losing water, boils off during the cooking process. Weigh it after cooking. You'll notice they often look smaller too. Higher quality meat tends to have less water (I think) as some companies add water to plump up their product.
  • Todzilla7
    Todzilla7 Posts: 24
    Good rule of thumb... weigh what actually goes into your mouth. (weigh after)
  • Catherinekaycorner
    Catherinekaycorner Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks guyss!!! x
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    I was tossing that one round my head too... and what you all said makes perfect sense!
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    I always weigh meats before cooking, but I make sure to use the raw entry on the food list (i.e. Chicken - Breast, meat only, raw). I believe different cooking methods would drain different amounts of water weight from the meat. I feel this way the results are more consistent regardless of cooking method.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Meats, weigh after. I can easily cook up a 6oz steak and by the time I cook it and trim the fat I am left with a 3-4oz steak and I only eat the 3-4oz, not the fat.
    Dry foods, weigh before. (Rice, cereal, oatmeal, pasta, etc)