Looking for fellow female lifting buddies

Options
36F 5'8" 155. After years of doing things the same way, I've recently decided that 1200 calories a day, no carbs and tons of cardio just isn't my cup of tea, so I've transitioned to eating more and lifting weights. Could always use more motivation and inspiration, so if you identify in any way - age, programs, etc - hit me up with a friend request :)

This is the lifting program I'm on: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

I also do Couch to 5k and will be starting week 4 tomorrow.

Have any of you recently started lifting heavy? What programs do you use? Have you had a hard time mentally with trying to eat more? I definitely have, but it's starting to get better.

Replies

• s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    anyone? bueller? ;)
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'll be your friend! I'm doing c25k (in the middle of week 6) and doing some lifting now, but going to start new rules of lifting for women once my races are over this year and I can really focus on that. It's been kind of tough thinking about eating more, but I've seen the results, and that's all I need! Once I started lifting and eating more, I lost more weight and was MUCH happier with my body.
  • s00sh
    Options
    i've recently started eating a lot more and having a tough time overcoming the mental aspects of it too. i know it's necessary for gaining strength, though, so i'm trying to rid myself of old mentalities.

what do you think of c25k? i just did W4D1 and thought i was going to die, hahaha!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've been focused on biking lately, but I do run (usually 3 - 5 miles) & lift heavy when I can squeeze it in. I have a hard time eating more, and I struggle internally with this but I'm getting there. After I complete my long bike ride over Mother's Day weekend (210 miles) I'm switching my focus to lifting and running. I don't have a specific weight program, but I tend to 3x8's. Feel free to add if you'd like.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do heavy lifting in my crossfit workouts. Friending you now!
  • Mishka84
    Mishka84 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi, I'm very new to MFP this is my first post so don't really know what I'm doing! I'm 27F 5'6'' 150 pounds. Dieted since early teens, you name it I tried it, always come back to around 155-160 ! Quit smoking early February and within 4 weeks None of my jeans would fasten, so here I am!
    I have been running 2-3 times a week and doing a little weights and strength on the days in between. Am about to start a routine with the barbell, dumbbells and kettle on Monday and I am scared!!
    My other half is a bodybuilder, he's over the moon that I've 'seen the light' and thinks Weight Watchers is a swear word! He's going to show me the ropes but I can't seem to shake the mantra that's been drilled into me since a young age, 'eat less weigh less'

No matter how much research I read about the benefits of building muscle vs reducing caloric intake I know I'm going to struggle with the idea of eating more (albeit healthier food) and not obsessing over how many calories I'm eating!

Only time will tell!

Oh and how do I add friends?!
  • s00sh
    Options
    I've been focused on biking lately, but I do run (usually 3 - 5 miles) & lift heavy when I can squeeze it in. I have a hard time eating more, and I struggle internally with this but I'm getting there. After I complete my long bike ride over Mother's Day weekend (210 miles) I'm switching my focus to lifting and running. I don't have a specific weight program, but I tend to 3x8's. Feel free to add if you'd like.

I love cycling as well, though i am a very casual rider (210 miles is nuts!!). now that the weather is starting to get nice here i'm going to have to figure out how to fit 3 days of heavy lifting, c25k and cycling in every week without collapsing ;)

Mishka - welcome! i'm sure your bodybuilding other half will get you started on an awesome routine. don't be afraid to push yourself with heavier weights - it's really rewarding! i've noticed i get completely famished on lift days, so you almost have to eat more if you don't wanna be really irritable all the time.

oh yeah, and if you click on someone's user name you can go to thier profile and send them a friend request.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    what do you think of c25k? i just did W4D1 and thought i was going to die, hahaha!

I'm LOVING it! I starting running out of necessity because I'm doing a triathlon, but I've kind of caught the running bug already - I totally look forward to my runs. I totally feel like I'm going to die, but I can't wait to see if I can do the next week and how far I can push myself. I find it's the same with lifting. I want to see how much weight I can pack on my bar and still lift it!
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    I lift, feel free to add me.
    I lift about 3 times a week, and do cardio in addition to that.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me... I am doing Jamie Eason livefit, will be going into phase 3 in 2 weeks. I love lifting! I hate cardio but still do it a few times a week.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    you can friend me if you would like... my workout program is posted as a blog...
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Your stats look like mine. I have just recently upped my calories (1200 is a hard habit to break ;-) ) I have read the New rules of lifting for women and I am going to start on it next week. I am doing a weight loss challenge with my zumba class. I want to keep up on Zumba on my off days but I think lifting is going to be the key for me and my journey. I am sending a friend request now.
  • prudolph69
    prudolph69 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have just started workout last week. I want to start lifting but I have NO IDEA where to start and cant afford a personal trainer. Would love some guidance. I am 42 years old, 5'7" currently weigh 189 and would like to lose at least 40 lbs.
  • coxy46
    coxy46 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, I used to be a body builder but that was 20+ years ago. Entered a couple competitions but the pre contest diet sucks!! I now cycle lots and lift weights to keep my upper body toned. I may have some "old school" ideas that could come be useful.
  • jburls23
    jburls23 Posts: 22
    Options
    Its definitely been tough trying to get my head around eating more! I'm 24F, 5'5, 148... before I had been eating 1200-1300 and working out 4-5x/wk with pretty well nothing happening ...I've since added in 3 sessions of circuit training/lifting to my 4-5x a week cardio and feel awesome! When I was first starting I didnt eat enough and would feel draggy all work out or nauseous afterwards. I pumped up the cals and now feel stellar before and after :happy: I gained a few lbs in the beginning but they've dropped off and Im definitely feeling changes
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love lifting.. and I lift HEAVY!! I'm up to pressing 50lbs (4x8s) dumbbells... I can squat 145 (4x8s).. shoulder press 35lbs (4X10s)... etc... LOVE IT!! =D
  • s00sh
    Options
    I gained a few lbs in the beginning but they've dropped off and Im definitely feeling changes

this was the problem i'd keep having - someone would tell me "you need to raise your calories", so i'd do it for a week or so, gain a bit of weight, completely panic and go back to 1200. once i forced myself to eat more for an extended period of time that initial weight came off. now i only weigh once a week and am trying to eliminate the scale totally. i know i'm putting in the work and eating well; i don't want my happiness or feeling of motivation to be tied to a number anymore.
  • s00sh
    Options
    bump :)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting heavy as well!

Bench Press: 5x5 @ 80 lbs
    Overhead Press: 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    Squats: 5x5 @ 105 lbs
    Deadlift: 5x5 @ 135 lbs
    Barbell Row 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    Curls @ 30 lbs
    Shoulder Presses @ 20 lbs
    Leg Press: @ 225 lbs
    Standing Calves: @ 180 lbs

That's some of my lifting. Feel free to friend me. I've actually gained a few pounds since lifting. I would like to drop at least 15-20 lbs or go down in size. I'm a size 10/12 now in pants. I'd like to be a 6/8.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You could check out this group. Eat more to weight less.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less