Which is correct...

Options
The calorie counter on the gym machines or here on MFP? Which count of calories burned should I go by? It's a large differnce between the gym and here, just trying to be as close to the truth as possible.

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Neither will be entirely accurate, but I would say the MFP will be closer because it knows your weight/height/etc. Either one can be pretty far off the mark though.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    this is a great question, as i was wondering this just the other day.
    ive been going with the machine, only because it also knows my weight....but in addition knows my pace and level, as well as my heart rate.

it's kinda sad though because the machine is always lower than MFP! lol

curious to see who does what here.

*edited to add...
    if im just going outside and running...i use MFP. :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The machines have been known to over estimate a great deal. I would think MFP is more accurate.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always found the machines were more accurate when height, age, and weight were entered. Any time I put them into MFP, I felt like they were highly overstated.

In the end, neither will be "correct." Part of determining the amount of calories you burn is fitness level. Something neither of these take into account.
  • gatork7
    gatork7 Posts: 22
    Options
    What if I took an average of the two? For example, today I spent an hour on the elliptical and machine said 638 and MFP say 1106 when averaged is 872....
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    neither. invest in a heart rate monitor. best 100 bucks you'll spend.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Both are low for me. My machine by a lot and MFP by enough that it would matter if I ate back all of my exercise calories.

I pay attention to my heart rate monitor.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the gym if it asks for your age and weight and all that.

Your best bet is to get a heart rate monitor! I'd recommend the polar f4!
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It would probably be safest just to go with which ever figure is the lowest. Either that or get yourself a heart rate monitor which would be the most accurate of the three options.
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    MFP is more accurate.

However, I would invest in a heart rate monitor because it's the most accurate.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The machines have been known to over estimate a great deal. I would think MFP is more accurate.

MFP is much higher for me(about 66%), so if the machine are overestimating, MFP is REALLY overestimating.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM so I didn't have to deal with that issue!
  • coolteenager101
    coolteenager101 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My treadmill says a really low calories burned.It's not even close. So, I would suppose MFP is right.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The calorie counter on the gym machines or here on MFP? Which count of calories burned should I go by? It's a large differnce between the gym and here, just trying to be as close to the truth as possible.

Neither. Set a healthy calorie deficit and don't worry about logging calories because even some of the best HRM's are inaccurate. If you're using MFP's info add 5% - 10% to your daily goal, call it a day, and give yourself one less thing to worry about.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Always pick the lowest number!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

good rule of thumb! :D
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    If the machine at the gym has your weight, etc and a pulse monitor, go with it!
    If not, go with MFP's estimate

:)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

good rule of thumb! :D

In my pre-HRM days I always went with the lowest number.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Both overestimate.... I use a Heart Rate Monitor (Polar FT4) but even that can be off. I agree with the idea of setting a reasonable deficit (taking into consideration how much you'll be working out) and not necessarily logging your exercise calories burned. You can still track the exercise & time spent working out in the notes section (or enter "1" for calorie burn).