Running Distances or Times?

Options
I had decided to do a 1/2 marathon in December, but now I am having second thoughts. I ran a 10K trail run race last week and hurt my hip. Most likely my core wasn't up for the longer stride/faster pace. I rested it for a week and now I am slowly adding in running. I did 0.5 miles this morning to test the waters and can still feel it.

Should I push back doing a half marathon till spring and instead focus on bringing up my 10K speed? Meanwhile, working on my core big time.

I did the 10K in 1hr 09 min. It was my first one in 12 years.

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think that 1hr 9 mins is a great 10K time. Plus, isn't the 1/2 marathon really more about endurance? December is still 3 months away. You should be able to make some progress by then. What would you gain by pushing it back? Why not do a second one in the spring and you can compare your results?

I have a 1/2 marathon in Oct (my first race ever). I'm excited but definitely nervous. If it goes well I hope to do a second one before it snows.

What is the one you are doing in Dec? Do you find it easier or harder to run in the cooler weather? What if it snows? Unless, I guess you live somewhere where it doesn't snow. I live in Barrie, Ont Canada. We get a lot of snow:happy:
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My hip has been killing me for about a year now. I just finished C25K yesterday, which means I ran 3 miles. I have been just pushing through the pain. I am curious to see what responses you get as I am having a similar problem.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I feel your pain... I was training for a half marathon and hurt my knee. I tried to take a little time off and then get back into it, but I just kept re-injuring myself. I eventually came to the realization that I wasn't doing myself any favors by pushing it, and what the heck was I in such a hurry for anyway? So I did push my half marathon goal back to the spring and am now in week 2 of my 6 week hiatus from running. It made me sad to come to that decision, but I think it's really what's best.

My point is that you should listen to your body. There's no shame in waiting another few months to run the half marathon. The road will still be there waiting for you.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Me too - when I tell people I've been running they say oh I can't because of my knees - I've heard that alot but it's my hips that give me a fit too! I've found that rest is the best medicine and I haven't been running two days in a row because of it (well til this weekend) - I think you reading your body is very important - you know when you need rest more than anyone else....way to work hard!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

By pushing off a longer distance race, I make sure all my muscles are ready for the push. Someone recently told me that no training run prepares you fully for a race, since you tend to push harder. I could probably still do the half marathon in December. However, at what cost is what I am worried about.

The half I was going to do was in Tucson, AZ so snow is not a concern. The race starts in the 40's and typically ends in the 70's for temperatures. The race is also primarily down hill. This is great for breathing and speed but bad for hips and knees.

I had found this article on hip pain for those that are having trouble too. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/193.shtml
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    In my experience, speed work is more taxing on an injury than a long, slow distance. I would probably still push back the timing of your half marathon...but I wouldn't consider doing speed work to better a 10k distance a rest...you may increase likelihood of injury.
    my 2 cents :)
    Good luck with the running :) btw..great time on your 10k
  • beckyi88
    Options
    Personally I think you would be fine by December, jmho.
    I wanted to add something about hips though. I've been having all sorts of pain with mine and spent a month in PT. My quads are overdeveloped from running and cycling. The hips are meant to go on lots of directions, but I've primarily been using my hip flexors which is wearing them out causing pain. I learned a lot of great things in PT, mostly stretching techniques, but I was also given a link to a yoga site. It's called PRANAMAYA. I bought a DVD called Yoga Link ~ Hip Helpers by Jill Miller. It was $20, ordered Thursday, selected cheapest shipping option, had it Saturday. I wish I had found this years ago!!!!!! Just going through the workshop portion, not the actual workout , just one time, has already made a huge difference. I am astonished at how inflexible I am and how much one practice is opening me up. The best $20 I have EVER spent in fitness!
    Becky
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

By pushing off a longer distance race, I make sure all my muscles are ready for the push. Someone recently told me that no training run prepares you fully for a race, since you tend to push harder. I could probably still do the half marathon in December. However, at what cost is what I am worried about.

The half I was going to do was in Tucson, AZ so snow is not a concern. The race starts in the 40's and typically ends in the 70's for temperatures. The race is also primarily down hill. This is great for breathing and speed but bad for hips and knees.

I had found this article on hip pain for those that are having trouble too. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/193.shtml

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try the sciatica test later. I've been thinking that is what mine is. I was also sleeping on a bad mattress. I'd get out of bed and be all out whack. It would hurt just to walk. I'm on day three of a new mattress and I'm hoping that this will help. Plus we just got a new hot tub so maybe that will help too.
    After reading the article I also realize I have a bad habit of sitting in bed with my laptop and slouching. I need to watch my posture better.

I think you would be wise to listen to your body. The pain is there for a reason and whatever it is you don't want to make it worse.
    You could get it checked out by a dr., maybe he'd at least give you some physical therapy time.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Runners are notorious (myself included) for trying to "push" through injuries. It usually just makes things worse. The best thing to do is to get a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan and focus on that. You can worry about building up conditioning later.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I might try to get into PT and get treated.