TDEE -20%?

Options
I have seen this around a lot lately. A good guess to find your daily calories is find your TDEE and then subtract 20%. I just looked at my report for the month on my Body Fit Media and on average I burn 2900 calories a day. So 20% less is a little over 2300. So is that a pretty good equation? Anyone know? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    yep--that is a good equation!
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit too and that's exactly what I did. I ran a 28 day report and used the calories burned as my TDEE. Then just subtracted from there.
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit too and that's exactly what I did. I ran a 28 day report and used the calories burned as my TDEE. Then just subtracted from there.

when did you do this and what were your results?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    How is that working for you? Did u see an initial gain?
  • gypsybug
    Options

when did you do this and what were your results?

I only recently started the Eat More to Weight Less method. About 3 weeks ago to be exact. So I have no hardcore results yet. When I ran my report I got 2270 as my TDEE and a 20% cut from that is about 1800. I plugged the numbers in to bodymedia and it actually suggested that for a half pound per week loss, I should just cut 250 daily from my TDEE and eat about 2020...give or take for my actual daily burns.

The only "results" I have had so far....initially I gained 4 pounds. Those have since dropped back off. I have a huge amount of energy and I am able to get through my workouts strong. I do ChaLEAN Extreme weights 3x a week and I do TurboFire 3-4 times a week. I've noticed that my TDEE is steadily creeping UP too. (I rerun that 28 day report every week) Yup, I'm revving my metabolism. And no...it's not the workouts. These increases are happening in my normal day to day stuff and while I'm sleeping!

So for now....I'm running with this plan.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Any change in inches? Clothes?
    Options
    gypsy--that's awesome. TOO MANY PEOPLE FREAK OUT OVER GAINS. you are amazing for sticking with it--and look, nothing bad has happened!
  • gypsybug
    Options
    I haven't remeasured yet. I'm doing that every 4 weeks for the workout hybrid I'm doing so I think I'm due for that next week.

However, yes, my clothes are fitting looser. I'm actually afraid to try my wedding dress on now and I've only got 18 days left! HAHA!

Also, I went out to buy a sundress to wear around after my wedding. Shocked the fanny right off of me when I fit into a size 4!!!! 4!!!! I have not been in a freaking size 4 anything since I was about 19. And it wasn't just that one dress and brand. I tried on just about every dress in the store lol!! All 4's!!

Nothing bad has happened at all. Life is hard enough without punishing our own bodies. According to BodyMedia, my goal of 25 lbs lost by losing half a pound a week won't be realized until February of 2013!! It requires patience! This is a slow, steady method that will allow my body to sculpt and repair and tone while I decrease fat and increase muscle mass. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be sexy! And that means muscle.

Once I wrapped my head around that very straightforward and undeniable fact, that this will take time, I quit looking for instant gratification. Because it's not gonna be there. But I'll still win in the end. :)
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I haven't remeasured yet. I'm doing that every 4 weeks for the workout hybrid I'm doing so I think I'm due for that next week.

However, yes, my clothes are fitting looser. I'm actually afraid to try my wedding dress on now and I've only got 18 days left! HAHA!

Also, I went out to buy a sundress to wear around after my wedding. Shocked the fanny right off of me when I fit into a size 4!!!! 4!!!! I have not been in a freaking size 4 anything since I was about 19. And it wasn't just that one dress and brand. I tried on just about every dress in the store lol!! All 4's!!

Nothing bad has happened at all. Life is hard enough without punishing our own bodies. According to BodyMedia, my goal of 25 lbs lost by losing half a pound a week won't be realized until February of 2013!! It requires patience! This is a slow, steady method that will allow my body to sculpt and repair and tone while I decrease fat and increase muscle mass. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be sexy! And that means muscle.

Once I wrapped my head around that very straightforward and undeniable fact, that this will take time, I quit looking for instant gratification. Because it's not gonna be there. But I'll still win in the end. :)
    that's awesome! Are you pretty strict about hitting that amount? I just added dinner and I've got 500 cals to go.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent thread.

To the OP...you bet that's a great calculation. I do TDEE (sometimes +20%) with high protein on lift days, and TDEE -20% with higher carbs on off days. I don't have a bodyfit or the like...so I simply calculated mine out by my activity level.

It's working great!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    That's awesome!! Well done!
  • gypsybug
    Options
    I'm still working up to that amount. Like I said, I'm kind of a beginner too. I started by upping my base goals to my BMR and met that plus my exercise. That was my first week. Then I creeped it up to 1600 ish...then I thought oh screw it just go for it and I started aiming for 1800, which was the first calculation I had intended to go for. TDEE - 20%. I just did that BodyMedia recalculation 2 days ago so now I'm planning to up again and aim for 250 below my daily burn to net a 1/2 lb a week.

No, I'm not insanely strict. I try to get as close as I can on average to whatever my goal is. But 500 below my daily, even right after dinner, would be a stretch. Enjoy an after dinner treat!
  • willjean
    willjean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How do I find out my TDEE?
    Options
    500 calories is a lot to be off by--a nice snack can easily up your cals by 350--1 oz nuts on top of 1 container greek yogurt and a sliced banana will do it!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Googling 'TDEE Calculator' netted me a full page of...well, TDEE calculators.
  • gypsybug
    Options

Googling 'TDEE Calculator' netted me a full page of...well, TDEE calculators.

LOL! Also searching these forums for "How do I find my TDEE" will net a massive list of....explanations on how to find your TDEE.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    fat2fitradio.com has a great calculator which is pretty spot on.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    500 calories is a lot to be off by--a nice snack can easily up your cals by 350--1 oz nuts on top of 1 container greek yogurt and a sliced banana will do it!

Yeah I'm going to have to get creative...I'm already over my carbs for the day. UGH. That's going to hurt. But Tomorrow I teach THREE classes and then have Sh'bam practice (dance) so I'm going to have a wicked high TDEE tomorrow. I need to get my body ready for it!
    Options

Yeah I'm going to have to get creative...I'm already over my carbs for the day. UGH. That's going to hurt. But Tomorrow I teach THREE classes and then have Sh'bam practice (dance) so I'm going to have a wicked high TDEE tomorrow. I need to get my body ready for it!

what's your carb target? I NEVER try to adhere to a certain % as long as i get ENOUGH protein I'm good.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I've had 216 grams of carbs. I'm 40/30/30. So I've got over today. It seems that's the only time that I see progress is when I cut back on carbs.