Good exercises for lateral quickness?

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
My knee was sore for quite a long time and I've been slowly trying to get that leg's strength to equalize with the other. Over the years I've lost quickness laterally. Any suggestions on how to get this back? I squat, dead, power clean, jog, jump rope, jump ups on bench but nothing really laterally. I run lines forward, backward and sideways but I think it's hitting what I'd like to target.

Suggestions?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Drills, circuits, sport specifics.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I play specific sports. But I need exercises to improve my performance in that sport. ie.. b-ball.

Drills? what specific drills? Circuits? What exercise circuits?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    bump
  • mes1921
    mes1921 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ladders! They're a blast and really do improve your quickness. :-)
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Cone Drills...
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, this dude at my gym was on the treadmill sideways. You could adjust the speed to whatever you wanted. Would prob work endurance too.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for more quickness / agility, try doing some plyometrics and jump rope.

Plyometrics:
    - Broad Jumps sets of 10
    - Side-to-side Jumps: sets of 10
    - Alternating Lunge Jumps: Start down in a lunge position, jump up and while in mid-air move your front leg to the back and back leg to the front and land in starting position jumping back up as soon as you hit.

Jump rope:
    - Regular rope jumping
    - High-knee
    - Heel to heel
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Side shuffles half court, then turn to sprint. Do the same for the other side.

Bench hop overs

Skaters

Those are just a few I use with junior athletes to improve lateral speed, strength and movement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JNick77
    Options
    Drills, circuits, sport specifics.

I think sport specific exercises is pretty much been debunked at this point, no such thing.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Thanks. I do bench overs when my jumper's knee isn't bugging me.

I also jump rope one leg, knee high, backwards, side to side and forwards

But I got tons of ideas from here thanks.

Alternating lunge jumps seem like satanic punishment but I'll try them
  • Squeezie88
    Squeezie88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for more quickness / agility, try doing some plyometrics and jump rope.

Plyometrics:
    - Broad Jumps sets of 10
    - Alternating Lunge Jumps: Start down in a lunge position, jump up and while in mid-air move your front leg to the back and back leg to the front and land in starting position jumping back up as soon as you hit.

Jump rope:
    - Regular rope jumping
    - High-knee
    - Heel to heel

This looks like a great mix to do. Might have to try it myself! :)
  • JNick77
    Options

Plyometrics:
    - Broad Jumps sets of 10

Jump rope:
    - Regular rope jumping
    - High-knee
    - Heel to heel

This looks like a great mix to do. Might have to try it myself! :)

It's pretty good actually. I read-up on these elsewhere and pieced together a group for helping my step-son with his agility for football. He looked horrible at first, especially with the side-to-sides and really started to look good after a couple weeks. Same thing with the jump rope. It's kinda' old school but very effective.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I don't know if I can find enough women in the gym to help me with the broad jump

But I looked up the side jumps and I already do those to some degree. Modified lunges I call them. I guess I can try to kick up the jump portion
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    any other suggestions?
  • JNick77
    Options
    I don't know if I can find enough women in the gym to help me with the broad jump

But I looked up the side jumps and I already do those to some degree. Modified lunges I call them. I guess I can try to kick up the jump portion

Check this link out. It has a large variety of jumps and shows you how to do them. The set / rep scheme for his training isn't applicable to what you're trying to accomplish but the exercises definitely are. I read some info on sports training a few months back and the general consensus seems to be 2 to 3 sets of 10-12 reps per.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_neural_charge/neural_charge_jumps&cr=
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    If you can get hold of glider discs, the side to side speed laterals with them are challenging.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Good suggestions above, but definitely add some carioca drills, too. Both directions.

http://youtu.be/w4KBi5PZrGY

For lateral speed and agility I find these to be the foundational drill. Good luck.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'm going to try some of these. Hopefully I don't fall down. Especially on the side to side movements.

The sliders seem interesting. My gym doens't have a slider sheet so I'll have to see how cheap buying the sliders for your feet are.

squats/cleans and deads were yesterday so I do them easy.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    What about some form of combat style training?

Boxing, karate, Jiu-Jitsu, Kung-Fu, etc, etc.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    What about some form of combat style training?

Boxing, karate, Jiu-Jitsu, Kung-Fu, etc, etc.

That would be great but I really want to concentrate on what I feel is a weakness.

I'm sure being 44 doesn't help either. hahaha but I've been able to make improvements in other areas I'm taking a shot at this one.

I need to find other exercises to compliment my supersets / triplesets anyway so I'm always looking for plyometric type stuff .