The latest diet sweeping my office....

Options
Okay, here is the latest (there's a new one every week). But this one sounds actually quite normal and healthy although the ladies seem to be loosing at a really fast rate which makes me think something is not right. But here it is. For the first 9 days you eat ONLY:

ALL the fruit & veggies that your heart desires! (No white potatoes or white rice)
One granola bar
One low fat yogurt
18 almonds
18 cashews
1 egg any way you like it cooked or 4 egg whites
1 glass of low fat milk
A serving of oatmeal – sugar free
1 cup of brown rice or one whole-wheat tortilla
64 oz of water

You must eat of the above each day. Then, after 9 days you can add 8 oz of fish or chicken.

When I looked at the list I figured these are just healthy foods that only add up to about 1300 cals even with added fruit and veg so that's why people are losing so much weight. But when I look at the three ladies that are doing it, they are not big girls, and they never ate that much to begin with. We are talking salads every day at lunch and they snub the office birthday cakes. So maybe there is something to it? Maybe they increased their water intake and flushed some fat? The skinniest of the three ladies lost 8 lbs in the last 10 days. What??

I am tempted to try it as I love all these foods and have them on hand all the time. Just as an experiment.
I generally don't do "diets" just because it sounds temporary and I like to just stay on a healthy eating plan all the time. But it seems to be really helping these ladies and I have been at a plateau for at least 2 weeks which is aggrivating.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I would just add chicken or fish regardless. If you did that, it's about right, I think.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My opinion on their weight loss is that is just water loss. It would happen on most any restrictive diet. However, I do not think a "diet" like that is sustainable. People will get bored with it.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    There's barely any protein in that diet, and yeah the calorie count would be pretty low. I also cannot eat eggs or nuts so it wouldn't work for me... or for anyone else that has intolerances to those items!
  • letaylor52
    letaylor52 Posts: 1
    Options
    I saw a summary of Diet Plans on Yahoo this morning. It was an article that explained lots of different diets and fads over the last 20 years. This plan looks very familiar. You might try Googling the diet and see what types of reviews have been written about it. I find really restrictive diets hard to stick to... so this would not be a good fit for me.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I avoid any diet that says you CAN'T have something or you can ONLY have certain things. Fad diets are just that.. fads. They don't last.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    There's barely any protein in that diet, and yeah the calorie count would be pretty low. I also cannot eat eggs or nuts so it wouldn't work for me... or for anyone else that has intolerances to those items!

No protein or fat in the food list and way too much sugar. I would be starving and wouldn't last a day.

I don't see much healthy on that list except for the eggs and fruits and vegetables.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    According to my reckoning, with the brown rice, here's how it adds up (without the ad lib fruits and vegetables):

Calories: 978
    Carbs: 134
    Fat: 42
    Protein: 41

Ratios:

Carbs: 50%
    Fat: 35%
    Protein: 15%

Presumably, the fruits and vegetables will add mostly carbs.

With the tortilla, 988 calories.

Carbs: 47%
    Fat: 37%
    Protein: 16%
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There's very little sodium there, probably the women losing quickly are adjusting from a higher sodium level of going from processed food to less processed foods. Things like store bought salad dressings and lean cuisine type meals are loaded with sodium.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    With the brown rice, 420 mg sodium.

With the tortilla, 920 mg sodium.

I agree with MoreBean. It's probably the lack of salt that is making the women lose so much so fast.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Okay, here is the latest (there's a new one every week). But this one sounds actually quite normal and healthy although the ladies seem to be loosing at a really fast rate which makes me think something is not right. But here it is. For the first 9 days you eat ONLY:

ALL the fruit & veggies that your heart desires! (No white potatoes or white rice)
    One granola bar
    One low fat yogurt
    18 almonds
    18 cashews
    1 egg any way you like it cooked or 4 egg whites
    1 glass of low fat milk
    A serving of oatmeal – sugar free
    1 cup of brown rice or one whole-wheat tortilla
    64 oz of water

You must eat of the above each day. Then, after 9 days you can add 8 oz of fish or chicken.

When I looked at the list I figured these are just healthy foods that only add up to about 1300 cals even with added fruit and veg so that's why people are losing so much weight. But when I look at the three ladies that are doing it, they are not big girls, and they never ate that much to begin with. We are talking salads every day at lunch and they snub the office birthday cakes. So maybe there is something to it? Maybe they increased their water intake and flushed some fat? The skinniest of the three ladies lost 8 lbs in the last 10 days. What??

I am tempted to try it as I love all these foods and have them on hand all the time. Just as an experiment.
    I generally don't do "diets" just because it sounds temporary and I like to just stay on a healthy eating plan all the time. But it seems to be really helping these ladies and I have been at a plateau for at least 2 weeks which is aggrivating.

Any thoughts?

IMO any diet that tells you that you can't eat this food or that food is not going to really work. Changes to your lifestyle should be permanent. I like the idea of finding your TDEE at your goal weight and eating that amount of calories, because that's what you should be eating for the rest of your life to maintain. If you cut things out you won't stick to it (unless you didn't like those things to begin with).. then the weight will come back on. Take it from a yo yo dieter.
  • katcourt
    katcourt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that if you lose 8 pounds in 10 days then its a lot of water weight. Anytime I have ever lost that much that fast, it sure as s@#t comes back just as fast. If keeping it off means eating like this from here on out, then I would fail because I would never be able to keep that up. For me, the most successful weight loss is a slow (1-2 pounds a week) weight loss.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol why is brown rice allowed but white rice isn't?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

thatsracist.gif
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I think it was uponthisrock who once said "because they r riceists" lol still makes me laugh :/:flowerforyou:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat a 4 ounce piece of chicken or fish in place of the granola bar. Most granola bars are ~120 calories but the meat and protein will keep you fuller for longer.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is supposed the have the husk still on it, which is a good source of fiber....And if you cook it right, it taste quite nutty...
  • indyang77
    indyang77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    LMAO
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This is a great diet, until you actually get hungry. Which you will.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wonder how long it will take them to gain it all back once they start eating normal again. Probably a week...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

thatsracist.gif

Dangzit! You beat me to it!