Mashed Potatoes?

Options
I'm making my boyfriend dinner tonight, we're doing Baked rosemary and vegetable chicken breast , with a side of vegetables and mashed potatoes but I wanna try a new mashed potato recipe, we like creamy ones so I was wondering if anybody had an amazing recipe that I could use? =]

Replies

• xandreinax
    Options
    i usually make mash potatoes the way my grandma showed me ... i guess because it uses butter it will make it non healthy but we can always make substitutions

here :

3 big potatoes ( depends on the size and the amount of people )
    1 bar of butter ( salt or non salt )
    1/2 cub of milk

so as you know you just peel the potatoes and set them in a big pot with water enough to cover them , let them boil and add a pinch of salt in the water .... i like to leave some skin on the potatoes

drain the water and smash them with a fork or smasher this is the funny part add the butter and stir ad milk to make it more loose ... add salt at your will

now i guess you can use low fat milk 1% perhaps and maybe i can't believe its not butter instead or low fat butter ....

i like to add some ground pepper and a bit of parsley for flavor ... :)
  • Mobojo001
    Options
    I like to boil cloves of garlic with my potatoes. I tend to do 1 clove per 2 potatoes, sometimes 1 to 1 if I want a bit more garlic. After they are done boiling, mash the garlic up with the potatoes and they have a nice hint of garlic without it being the main taste.
  • xandreinax
    xandreinax Posts: 17
    Options
    I definetly will try that next time... i would never occur to add cloves ! :) thnx!
  • DaveA73
    DaveA73 Posts: 4
    Options
    For super creamy mashed potatoes, use a food mill or ricer to mash them. That way you don't overwork the starch while mashing them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mash 'em with ranch dressing. :love:
  • boogiewoman1
    Options
    dinner sounds good. I say try califlower mock potatoes. http://www.food.com/recipe/mock-mashed-potatoes-cauliflower-atkins-style-205772
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    dinner sounds good. I say try califlower mock potatoes. http://www.food.com/recipe/mock-mashed-potatoes-cauliflower-atkins-style-205772

I second that. Almost as good but will never be as good as the real thing
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options

I have made cauliflower mashed potatoes they are lumpy but do the job. They are lots healthier. I just boil them until they are pretty much falling apart in the water. Then I mash them leaving a little water and adding a small amount of I can't believe its not butter and Mrs. Dash Table Blend.
    Good luck!
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    Mash them with plain yogurt instead of milk.....
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I like to boil cloves of garlic with my potatoes. I tend to do 1 clove per 2 potatoes, sometimes 1 to 1 if I want a bit more garlic. After they are done boiling, mash the garlic up with the potatoes and they have a nice hint of garlic without it being the main taste.

FTW! Exactly what I was going to suggest. I add more than this person, 'cause there's noooo such thing as too much garlic in my book.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I use chicken broth in place of butter and milk and whip them in my Kitchen Aide to get them fluffy and creamy.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Use red potatos..Much healthier for you and more taste too.
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use no fat milk to mash them and they are yummy. If I want them to taste really creamy and rich I add a little bit of Devondale Extra Soft Spread (80% less fat than butter and not too many calories)
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    One great tip I've found is to steam the potatoes instead of boiling them. They're fluffier that way. And I use evaporated milk (canned milk) instead of regular milk, which makes REALLY creamy potatoes (sadly, it also makes them very high-calorie... :sad: )
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I add a Tablespoon or so of Sour Cream to make them extra creamy!