Chana Masala (Indian Split peas lentil soup)

taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Copy/Pasting from my cooking blog ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/riz9007 )where I share authentic Indian/Pakistani/Arabic recipes. Most of the recipes are handed down to me by Late mother, my sister or my sister in law. Hope you enjoy it!

This is a very common dish in India/Pakistan and this particular technique is a Punjabi style. The recipe was shared to me by my sister-in-law and I hope you all enjoy it :)

Ingredients:

1 cup yellow split peas lentil ("Chanay ki daal" if you wanna goto an indian store and ask them by name)
1 medium size onion
2 tomatoes
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste (i used 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 green chillies (if you like a bit of heat in your soup!)

Boil the 1 cup of split peas till they're soft and can break apart easily with just your fingers. Try not to leave alot of water

In a seperate pot, brown the onion in olive oil. Once its brown, add red chilli pepper and turmeric powder. Add the tomatoes in this and let it cook for a bit till the onions, spices and tomatoes make kind of a thin puree.

In this mixture, add in your lentils and cook for about 5 minutes. Add green chillies, salt and Garam Masala. Cook for another 5 minutes. Your chana masala is ready!

I usually eat it with "Achar" (Indian pickle made with mangoes and/or other veggies) and pita bread or white rice but you can even eat it as is like a soup

Nutrition facts (For the entire cooked pot):

Calories: 1001
Carbs: 140g
Fiber: 55g
Protein: 51g

Also have another lentil soup recipe posted here : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/581373-lentil-soup-indian-laal-daal

Replies

• sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 699 Member
    Thanks for sharing. I am always on a lookout for Indian vegeterian dishes...and this looks delish.
  • taunto
    Thanks for sharing. I am always on a lookout for Indian vegeterian dishes...and this looks delish.

You're welcome :) I like making simple dishes like that
  • kdenapolis
    kdenapolis Posts: 15
    Thank you!
  • kdenapolis
    kdenapolis Posts: 15
    Any recipes for Mung Beans? I have a bag and I tried to make a recipe using them. The mung beans never really got soft, even after I soaked them. Not sure what I did wrong?

I like spicy vegetarian food! I have a cupboard full of red lentils from the indian store. Love making soup!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    This sounds awesome! I just out for Indian and now I'm craving some more of the same flavors. Thanks!
  • taunto
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/581373-lentil-soup-indian-laal-daal

Heres a recipe for the red lentils you can make easily.

For mung, I have never made it but I do know its a different recipe and it can be very delicious with rice! Let me see if I can ask my sister to send me a recipe and i'll try and mail you when I put up the recipe

Edit: PS. Try cooking mung in a pressure cooker. Some lentils like Mung and the black lentils can take upto an hour to cook outside of a pressure cooker