To all EMS personnel...welcome me aboard

Options
In EMS, you never see it all. Just when you think you have seen something that cannot possibly be topped with anything even more outrageous, someone dials 911 just to prove you wrong. It is very exciting not knowing who may need your services and for what reason. EMS is not routine. It is unpredictable and exciting…controlled chaos in the field, if you will. That is why I am here today. I do not fit in where it is quiet. Put me on an ambulance any day, but never put me behind a desk.
Not only is EMS unpredictable, but when an ambulance is dispatched to a scene, we can find out just how challenging it can be. Being challenged keeps us alive. It keeps us looking ahead and it keeps our skills fresh. Knowing that I can potentially save a life, and prevent a family from grieving, is all the reward I need to continue to excel in EMS.
Since I am brand new to EMS, it is important for me to work and study hard enough to get to a competent level of patient care. It is also vitally important to stay on top of the current curriculum so that we can meet and exceed the standards. Patients and their family and friends depend on our abilities to provide emergency care in the field. It is important to me knowing where I stand in this world.
I am not here to gratify myself. I am here to save lives. Even as a student, I have already experienced the fulfillment that comes along with providing emergency care. When a patient looks you in the eye and thanks you while tears are running down their cheek, even if services rendered were minor, it fills your heart with an overwhelming sense of pride.
EMS matters. We will have an impact on our community. EMS is a necessary component to every day life because we are first responders. Our competency, our skill level, and our ability to provide care and provide it efficiently is necessary. I am very passionate about my career choice. I am very compassionate when it comes to people. I am the future of EMS.

Replies

• Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    Anyone lucky enough to get you dispatched to them when they have an emergency will be eternally grateful to have such dedicated care!! :) You're a pretty amazing person!
  • Ourbeagles
    Ourbeagles Posts: 10
    Options
    You really are truly amazing! No one could every thank you enough for what you do! :happy: Thank you for all you do Bama!