Belly Fat...How do you get rid of it?

Options
Does anyone have any helpful hints to get rid of that awful belly fat? In a little less than 2 months I have lost 18 lbs, but I can't seem to get rid of that darn innertube around my belly :( Any exercises, foods that are good to eat or should be avoided? I do mostly cardio, running and walking at least 3 miles about 4 to 5 times a week and I just started doing Jillian MIchael's 30 Day Shred. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated...Thank you!

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, so just keep eating at a deficit and it will come off.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I concur. When I first started my toes got skinnier, my arms and legs more firm and my belly was just as big as always.

It takes a while to see results sometimes in that area but hang in there, it'll come.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Truth.

Heavy weights, using compound movements...will sure help it ALL come off faster though.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Think of fat being like a wet sponge. You can't dry one corner while the rest of it is still wet. Cardio, heavy weights, eating clean.
  • krmina7
    krmina7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Salmon - Salmon is a huge source of protein and omega 3 fatty acid. Omega 3 fatty acid is a very healthy type of fat that helps in toning the muscles and get that flat tummy. So if you work out regularly then you must have salmon to tone your muscles and reduce your belly fat,
  • NiekaM
    NiekaM Posts: 5
    Options
    Running................
  • beachgirl55
    beachgirl55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is also my trouble area. Trying to do some strength training with my cardio.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    keep doing what your doing :happy: watching the carbs will help with the belly bloat
  • samuraidoctor
    samuraidoctor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found it started shrinking faster when I ditched the gluten and DIDN'T substitute in some other grainy starch. I primarily eat fruits and vegetables. It also seems a little tighter since I started running, but you can't spot reduce fat by working the surrounding muscle. I think it was more that the loose bits got tighter on me, once I didn't have as much fat to keep them inflated.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options

I concur. When I first started my toes got skinnier, my arms and legs more firm and my belly was just as big as always.

It takes a while to see results sometimes in that area but hang in there, it'll come.

My shoes are all too big now (I always had really narrow feet and losing weight has made them worse) and I wear gloves at work all day and they are too baggie now, but my belly fat is still there. 2 c-sections have ruined my flat belly but with diet and exercise it isn't so flabby and I am losing inches. Just keep at it.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Salmon - Salmon is a huge source of protein and omega 3 fatty acid. Omega 3 fatty acid is a very healthy type of fat that helps in toning the muscles and get that flat tummy. So if you work out regularly then you must have salmon to tone your muscles and reduce your belly fat,
    :huh: :huh:

Salmon is good for you due to the omega 3 in it.....period. NOTHING can "tone" your muscles and reduce belly fat, except overall fat loss and exercise>>>:yawn:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    :huh: :huh:

Salmon is good for you due to the omega 3 in it.....period. NOTHING can "tone" your muscles and reduce belly fat, except overall fat loss and exercise>>>:yawn:

^^this
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue. I started out with a goal to lose 40 lbs. but once I hit my original goal I realized my small bone frame just didn't hold that particular weight well. I've lost ALMOST another 10 lbs. and I'm a lot happier with my belly area, I don't know how much more I have to lose to get rid of my belly. I can tell you if you tend to hold weight in your midsection it WILL be the last thing to go. It wasn't until losing this last 10 lbs. that I've noticed a significant difference.

Do cardio and just try to eat right is really all the advice I have, it will lessen.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    dedication and determination. Running only works for so long. ( I ran 40 miles last month) Once your body gets used to things it stops burning as much.
    Lifting weights and doing cardio in combination is your best bet, along with patience.

I still have a lot left. I am right there with you. :)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ya, cardio and eating right, gotta burn the fat off.......running will def help.......
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Choco Taco's and Slimfast, but in all seriousness hardwork and dedication.
  • kristinpetros
    Options
    Thank you everyone...I just started adding in strenght training, a little anyways :) I guess ill keep with my workouts and really really watch what I eat.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said here, and I am no fitness expert, but... I personally give my fatter areas a vigorous massage to help things along. I have no proof that this does anything except in my mind... but perhaps in my mind is not such a bad place to begin making changes to my physical body. So, I think that greater blood flow perhaps helps fat loss and in my mind, I visualize my blood working in my cells to reduce fat. My mind controls my body, I control my mind, so I think it is ok to command my body to do certain things. But this is only what I do, and I have had success for myself with this method in other ways... I am also beginning 30ds- so still hangin' out with the pillow tummy for now. Best of luck!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump

stomach is mainly kitchen....watch the food! Also, I wear a body wrap when I work out and sit in sauna to get rid of some of the water. But you can work your abs all day, but if the fat is there, those sexy abs will be underneath. Focus on healthy foods veggies and lean proteins :)

happy journey
  • krmina7
    krmina7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/493051-does-fish-oil-help-you-lose-belly-fat/

Omega 3 found in salmon helps you to increase muscle gains and reduce body fat :yawn: