Short workouts that burn a lot of calories?

Options
I have ADD, and so working out for a long period of time drives me crazy with boredom. What are some short workouts you've found that really work your body?

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have ADD, and so working out for a long period of time drives me crazy with boredom. What are some short workouts you've found that really work your body?

what do you consider short? Is 30 minutes too much?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

what do you consider short? Is 30 minutes too much?

Took the words right out of my mind....

unfortunately, you are going to need to make the effort to actually do a workout to get the heart-rate up where you need it to go for proper cardio and fat burning properties
  • closet_fatty
    closet_fatty Posts: 109
    Options
    As long as I'm changing it up often, I can go for a long time. But doing the same exercise for 30 minutes would kill me. Just short exercises I can put into a workout, basically.
  • Hopelessbird
    Hopelessbird Posts: 133
    Options
    30 minute vigorous calisthenics can burn up to 300 calories. I only do this when I am on travel and don't have access to gyms/equipment.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just do circuit of different exercises? If you don't want to think up your own, bodyrock.tv has 12 min workouts. Do different Jillian Michaels DVDs everyday. You don't have do the same thing forever to lose weight.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    4, 8, 12 min-bodyrock.tv workouts. You won't get bored and they are hard! There are tons and you can do rep challenges too. Then you can make your own after you get the hang of it. They are HIIT and a great wokrout. You can check out zwow too, both you can find on you tube. Bodyrock just started another 30 day challenge today.
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I hear at curves they change workouts very often?
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    Insanity is the way to go. I love it.
  • thunder_dan
    thunder_dan Posts: 44
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training, such as Burpees and Sprinting. Also Running Bleachers will kick your *kitten* into shape in no time at all!
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 is a 30 minute workout that kicks a@@. You can get it at Walmart, Target, online. I highly recommend any of her videos. She definately knows how to make you sweat!!
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nike Club Training App is great for people with ADD like me.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Walking at a large incline can burn fast.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    you could do circuits working more then one body part (Say sq to press) with
    jumping jacks or some type or plyo inbetween that will help.
    intervals in cardio say running, biking min hard 2 min recovery 1:1 ratio makes it less boring + more efficient
    or the 12 min body tv ones like mentioned kick butt!

i do sometimes a min of
    mtc
    squat jumps
    planks
    burpees
    high knees
    50sec on 10 rest twice each for 3 rounds i burn about 70/ round completed :]
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells burn a lot quickly. Some sources say up to 20 cals/min.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Arguably, there is no reason to ever do a long workout.

My strength training hits an hour rarely, and that is mixing things up the whole time.

High intensity interval training (HIIT) gives the benefits of traditional cardio and more! I do 1 min as fast as I possibly can (which generally slows down throughout the minute because it is REALLY max speed) and 2 minutes of slower recovery (sometimes I'm almost at a walking pace because the 1 min was so hard). Repeat that 3 minute cycle 5-10 times. Add on a 5 min warm up and cool down. That's my 30 min workout. I only do regular long form cardio when I'm in the mood for it... which is pretty rare, honestly...

http://www.squidoo.com/cardio-vs-interval-training was the first link I found when I googled this to find a link for you. Basically compares HIIT and regular cardio and says a million reasons HIIT is awesome.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's Kickbox Fastfix has three different workouts. Each is 20 minutes from start to finish, literally you are DONE in 19 minutes!!!! I usually burn 350-370 calories. And because there are three different workouts, not levels, i can keep changing and get a great workout.
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm changing it up often, I can go for a long time. But doing the same exercise for 30 minutes would kill me. Just short exercises I can put into a workout, basically.

try zumba, its def not boring and you will love it..
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    30 day shred
  • nikmav1
    nikmav1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you doing BodyRock? I just started the May challenge today. I found the concept a few months ago but am just starting it out because i have been recovering from toe surgery. It looks great but and still wondering if it will really be enough. I teach Spin 1-2 times a week too.
  • dzollinger
    dzollinger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get bored quickly too!!! I've found that if I do a few things at a time, I can work out long enough to get my heart rate up to burn fat. So, I program my eliptical for 30-45 minutes, cover it with a book to read AND plug in my headphones (set on Pandora's dance/club music station). I can't focus on how long I've been working out...sometimes I get really into the book and sometimes I get really into the music. Either way, my mind has multiple things to think about, so I don't get bored.