Triathlon

Options
Has anyone in their 50's trained for a triathlon? And if so please give some pointers. Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm training for one now (well, as soon as the half marathon is done I switch to my tri plan....) and I'm 56.

Do you have a tri club where you live? If yes that's probably your best resource. The club I belong to describes itself as a "recreational" triathlon club and we've got member in every age group you can think of and every level of fitness imaginable.

The great thing about triathlon is that there are events for every athlete - from shorter try-a-tri or super-sprint right on through to ironman.

Here's a link to my club's suggested training plan for a sprint distance. http://www.ottawatriathlonclub.com/resources/training_plans/sprint.htm (there are plans for shorter and longer races)

If you can get in the pool a couple of times a week, ride regularly and run two or three times a week you should be able to train for one and have a lot of fun!
  • HalMcFarland
    HalMcFarland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I trained for and participated in triathlons when I was in my 30's, I am now 61 and looking to get back into the race.

Training for a triathlon is simply learning the basics of three sports, practicing to develop proper technique and increase your stamina. For many that could mean months of daily training (depending on current physical conditioning) before entering that first triathlon.

Here is a link to an 8 week training schedule to prepare for a mini-triathlon:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/training-schedules/8-weeks-to-your-first-mini-triathlon-beginner-plan/?page=2

Have fun!

Hal
  • jillybean
    jillybean Posts: 57
    Options
    Thank you both for the information I will definitely check out all the info that you both said.
    Best of luck to you both in your fitness endeavors!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'd love to do a triathlon. I'm only in my 40's though... :-)
    Unfortunately for me, my swimming is more of a controlled drowning than anything else....