I just don't see the weight loss...

Options
As of Monday morning I'm down 31.4lbs since 1/16/12. That sounds like a lot, but I just am not seeing it. My daughter weighs almost 30lbs, so I know what 30lbs looks like. But I don't see where it is coming off my body.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think it happens to everyone!! I have lost 111.2lbs and still look at myself and sometimes think I look the same as I did when I weighed 303.4lbs. it's hard to see weight loss on yourself - you look at yourself all the time and you're more critical of yourself. did you take measurements? if not you really should. also how are you clothes fitting?
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Take pictures and compare them side by side with what you started at. Also a great way to actually see how the weight is coming off.
  • ancook02
    ancook02 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do have comparison photos from SW to -22lbs. I've gone from a size 24 to a size 20, but I really just don't see it. I think the problem is I have insanely saggy skin under my arms. And that's what I look at every day, so it sort of discourages me.

I have this overwhelming fear of losing all the weight and I want to and still not liking how I look, especially my arms. :(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7 or 8 since 2/27.

You're doing GREAT!
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Chile, I've lost 65 and can't see it either but I know it's gone. It's sometimes disappointing because I want to see the changes but when I look in the mirror everything still looks the same. I have a lot of weight to lose though, so that may be why.
  • ancook02
    Options
    Chile, I've lost 65 and can't see it either but I know it's gone. It's sometimes disappointing because I want to see the changes but when I look in the mirror everything still looks the same. I have a lot of weight to lose though, so that may be why.

I have a lot to lose as well. 160lbs. Well, now I guess it's 128.6lbs. But still, a lot. Some days I think I'll never get there. Congrats on losing 65lbs!
  • ancook02
    Options
    Thanks Sabine!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do have comparison photos from SW to -22lbs. I've gone from a size 24 to a size 20, but I really just don't see it. I think the problem is I have insanely saggy skin under my arms. And that's what I look at every day, so it sort of discourages me.

I have this overwhelming fear of losing all the weight and I want to and still not liking how I look, especially my arms. :(

I don't know what your work out routine is, but if your not already lifting weights, you may want to start. It will help you tone up and turn fat into muscle so it will tighten up your body.
  • poeticallydevine
    poeticallydevine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oh good, im not the only one with "big eye syndrome"... i couldn't see where the weight came off from either. but i looked at an old pic and was able to see where it fell from. also i noticed my loose clothes thats always an obvious sign.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We all o through this I remember thinking did I really lose weight?? If so where keep going you can do this
  • shapcomp
    shapcomp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How about getting a new shirt or pants or dress or something that shows off your weight loss? Maybe you're buried in clothes that don't show it!
  • JanetAbrams
    JanetAbrams Posts: 17
    Options
    funny to see this post I have lost 100 pds as of this past week and when I had my husband take a progress picture I wanted to cry cause I still feel so fat when I look at the picture
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think it's because the shape of your body stays the same. I know that's how it is with me. The pooches, or rolls, or fullness is still in the same places. So the overall shape of your body is the same, but it is smaller. That's when clothes sizes and inches come into play. Losing weight is not going to make all the spots smooth out right away, you will still carry weight in the places you do before. It happens to me all the time where I don't even have a clue that I'm a smaller size because I look in the mirror naked and the same silhouette is there. lol
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Just keep in mind that we are each our own worst critic. You may not see the difference, but others probably do. Go check out the other forums - there is post after post of people showing their pics and saying that they can't see a difference. That is always followed by responses pointing out EXACTLY what is different. We nitpick every little thing about ourselves - sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes that doesn't look at your body every single day to point out the obvious.
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been through this weight loss thing too many times and I've started to think about it like this. I find it to be true.

Think about your body during weight loss like a roll of paper towels. When you remove a sheet or two, or three, the roll doesn't seem to get any smaller.

But the more sheets you remove, the more each individual paper towel wraps around the entire roll and each sheet removed eventually makes a huge difference in the size of the roll when a lot of them have come off. Fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big all around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area – just like that first couple of paper towel sheets. The closer you get to your goal, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times! When you reach those last "sheets" on your body, everything underneath will show more.

So while 30 pounds is a very significant amount of weight loss (congrats!), think of it as just those first few sheets of a paper towel roll! Keep going, all of a sudden you're going to look in the mirror and see it!
  • DrGeriK
    DrGeriK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't see the weight loss either when I look at my body but I have dropped one pants size and my bras are fitting more loosely. I see the change in my face, wrists and ankles, places that weren't too fat. I know I'll see more changes as long as I continue to drop the weight and also weight lift. The fat will be burned up and the muscle will become firm. Can't wait!!!!!!
  • ancook02
    Options
    Thank you everyone who is replying to this. I know I'm being hard on myself and that I'm doing amazing. I just look at photos of some people who've dropped 30lbs and I'm like.. omg they look AMAZING. I'll get there one day though!
  • ancook02
    Options
    Okay, I've been through this weight loss thing too many times and I've started to think about it like this. I find it to be true.

Think about your body during weight loss like a roll of paper towels. When you remove a sheet or two, or three, the roll doesn't seem to get any smaller.

But the more sheets you remove, the more each individual paper towel wraps around the entire roll and each sheet removed eventually makes a huge difference in the size of the roll when a lot of them have come off. Fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big all around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area – just like that first couple of paper towel sheets. The closer you get to your goal, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times! When you reach those last "sheets" on your body, everything underneath will show more.

So while 30 pounds is a very significant amount of weight loss (congrats!), think of it as just those first few sheets of a paper towel roll! Keep going, all of a sudden you're going to look in the mirror and see it!

This is honestly the best description of losing weight that I've ever heard. I never thought about it like that!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work. Dropping two sizes is a great success. I see my goal just around the bend but think I also see more than those remaining pounds hanging on in all of the wrong places. My plan is to focus on reaching my current weight loss goal, then kick up the strength training to work on body shape and composition. Don't worry that your goal isn't "good enough" until you get there.

Celebrate your success...enjoy how far you've come...others will start to notice the difference and encourage you to keep going.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs, and I still don't see a huge difference when I look in the mirror. The biggest difference is when I look at old photos of myself. I am a completely different person now. It's so hard when you look at yourself every single day because you don't see the small changes. When you run into someone who you haven't seen in a long time, they will tell you there is a difference.