Dare I TRI ???

Options
So I am thinking about enter a short sprint tri in my local area, I am pretty sure I can do each component separately, as I have done them all before. But I am scared to enter because doing them all one after the other is going to be overwhelming, maybe... I have been doing some 5ks and this looks like a new fun challenge.. If you have done a tri before what was your first one like ??

Replies

• dalygirl_2010
    Options
    bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry, doing my first tri this summer but I did a sprint duathlon last year (2km run, 20km bike, 5km run) and it was exhilarating crossing the finish line. How long until the race?

Here's a link to my club's sprint training plan http://www.ottawatriathlonclub.com/resources/training_plans/sprint.htm

Last year I neglected my swimming and switched to the du, this year I've been working on the swim portion (that's the hardest for me).

Good luck & have fun!
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    it is in Aug... I love to run and bike, and I used to love to swim... I am nervous about doing one right after the other....
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I don't do triathlons (I'm just a distance runner...for now) but I know enough to know that you need to get in some brick workouts.

This seems like a good place to start:
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Enrico Contolini/Introduction_to_bricks.htm
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    I did my first tri last August. Here's the recap: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RunningAggie?month=201108

I'll be doing another one this August followed by one in September. The Sept one is an open water swim and I'm not used to swimming in the cold lakes up here! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm not an expert, but I'd be happy to share what I've learned (and continue to learn).

Good luck! Be warned... they are addicting!!
  • computerchick
    computerchick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Scared is good and normal. Nervous too. But how will you know if you can do it if you don't try? I say go for it. I'm currently considereing a half marathon in October. I wish you luck.
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint TRI on April 21st. It was a blast!! I am sure you can do it! My best advice based on my experience is to do brick workouts. Swim, jump out of the pool and onto your bike transitioning as fast as you can. Same from bike to run. Jump off, change shoes, and run! I was amazed that my legs did not want to work like I am used to for the first 1/2 mile.. But after it was better. You feel like you are going so slow because you were just biking, but practice your pace. And have fun. Everyone was so awesome and supportive.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!

It's not as overwhelming as it seems. When I did my first tri, I was comfortable doing all three separately and I expected it to be extremely hard to put them together. It wasn't that bad. Yes, i was extremely tired afteward, but I completed the entire thing without stopping (walking during the run). The excitement of it and all the other people being around really carries you through.

If you're worried, do some brick workouts. Go for a medium length ride and then do a short run immediately afterwards. It hurts for the first half mile because your legs are having to switch gears from cycling muscles to running muscles. Practice and get used to that feeling and it won't be so bad during the tri.

Before my first tri, I read a book called The Slow Fat Triathlete. It's about a woman who was extremely obese and wanted to get healthy. She started by taking walks in her neighborhood and then eventually did a tri. Obviously you are starting from already being in shape, but the book was so inspiring to me and it helps with just the basics of getting ready for your first one.

Good Luck!!!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! You should absolutely dare to TRI!!!!!!

I did one a few years ago. It was a sprint. I actually did that race twice. I knew I could do the events separately, but not sure about all together. The running after the biking was tricky. It felt like I had flippers on my feet :laugh: All I wanted do to was not come in last. I finished both times. Crossing that line is such an incredible experience. It's really not that overwhelming if you can do each part on it's own. My swim in open water was slower than in the pool. So was my run. But I finished, and that's what I wanted to do:bigsmile:

I might be doing another one this summer. I know a lot more now, about how to eat smarter, how to train better. I didn't have any help when I was training back then. Just read a few things here and there and was just winging it.

Oh, you should do it! You CAN do it. If you can run a 5K, swim (14 pool laps?) and bike ~15 miles, you CAN DO IT! Go on, give it a TRI!! You'll be so glad you did. And, LOL...it sounds pretty impressive, too :tongue:
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    DO IT!!!! LOL Best experience! Pick a beginners one or a sprint distance if you haven't done one, and pick one that has great support.

My fav motto is "you never know what you can do until you TRI!"

and start in the back, esp if it's an open water swim... nothing like getting kicked in the face and sucking up a mouthful of water to get you in panic mode! LOL
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    I did a sprint tri. I thought I had trained for it, but realized when I got there that I didn't at all!!!! I still finished it and was damn proud of myself. I wasn't even last! LOL

I say go for it. It's a little nerve racking before you start, but so much fun once you get going. Where I screwed up was the biking, I "trained" on flat surfaces, the race WAS NOT FLAT!!!! So just know what your getting into and actually train for it! hehe

Hope you do it - have fun :)
  • Isawau
    Isawau Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i did my first sprint last year in june and i had so much fun i did 3 more lol
    and now im training for an olympic tri and thats the first time i really train for it just because of the longer distance :-)
    for me is the running part the worst but i hope i get better at it lol
    give it all you got and the most important is HAVE FUN!!!!
    it's an awesome feeling when you cross the finish line knowing and feeling what you did!!!
    Oh and a good tip stretch really good before you start even when you feel silly doing it!!
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    if you need help I'm happy to help you figure out if it's right for you, just add me :) You can so do this!!!