I feel so bad,others have been able to do it, why cant I?

Options

Replies

• Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What about taking baby steps? Introduce one change at a time. Maybe incorporate more fruit and veg into your diet, or work out X times a week, or reduce the amount of unhealthy snackfood. Then when you've settled one routine add another. Tackling it step by step might seem easier than going totally 180 on your previous lifestyle.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Stop. Just stop. Decide that every moment before now is the past - and it is, you know. Decide that from this moment on you will:
    1. consider every bite before you take it. Just because someone gives you something to eat doesn't mean you have to eat it. And, if you do have it, it doesn't mean you have to eat the whole thing
    2. Every bite is a decision. Is this good for me? Do I want it? It's ok to eat stuff you want that isn't good for you, you just need to acknowledge it BEFORE you take the bite and own the decision. I'm drinking a glass of wine right now.
    3. Stop beating yourself up. We're all only human. Just because some people have lost 10 lbs in a week doesn't mean you have to. Start smaller. Decide to make small changes that will allow you to drop a pound a week. Or, a pound every two weeks. The speed of the journey isn't what matters - that you're working to becoming healthier is what matters.
    4. Log every single bite as quickly as possible. Know off the top of your head how many calories you have left. And, make decisions. Own the food instead of letting the food own you. If people give you grief because you choose to not eat it, let them. If someone cries that you don't appreciate them, let them cry. Just explain that you need to be healthier. If they keep pushing, let them know you'd appreciate their support, but you're going to do this regardless.

When I started this journey, it was a lark. I wondered if I could do it. The basics seemed so simple - plug in your numbers, eat what you want, and don't go over your calories. I was shocked that it worked. Now, it wasn't always easy to keep to my calories, and I sometimes went over. But, each time I did, it was my decision to go over and by how much. I didn't give myself a timeline, and although I set a goal, I wasn't pushing toward reaching it at any specific time - didn't think I could. Shocked me that I did. It took me a year to lose 35 lbs. But, it was the journey to eating healthier that was important to me. Stop stressing on the scale. Decide you're going to do this for you and do it. You can, you know.
  • rcountrybrat
    Options
    my daughter is a personal coach and she told me that I should allow myself to be a brat and eat what i want 1 day a week, this way it will make the not cheating easier. Just remember for every bad food you eat you have to exercise it off.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I understand...my husband only eats crap and before long, my healthy eating habits went right down the toilet. Best advice? Log in often and keep yourself busy with other things. Take a photo of yourself and put it on the refrigerator or cupboards to remind you that you are doing this for yourself. Brush your teeth instead of picking up the tempting foods...I also try using Crest mouthwash (in the white bottle)...makes foods taste terrible for hours. Buy an outfit one size less and hang it in your room to look at every day. It will feel so good when it fits.

Maybe try cooking for them while you cook for yourself...take back your control.

You can do this - you just have to decide that you are worth this effort. This is something that is very hard to understand because we are all so negative about ourselves (who needs enemies when we have our own inner voices)?
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as you failed! Try to focus on right now and not the past. And when you eat something that is not good for you, don't let yourself feel like you failed, just focus on leaving it at that thing you ate and let the next one be a healthier one.
    When I get cravings I say to myself I have to wait 30 minutes until I can eat whatever it is that I want right then, and if I want it as bad after that half hour I can have it. When those 30 minutes have passed I don't feel like eating the bad stuff anymore. Maybe that could work for you? Another thing I do is always, ALWAYS, wherever I go bring a healthy snack with me. Because there are so many situations during the day where you have to say no to unhealthy stuff and then it's great to have your own stuff with you that you can eat! My favorite is natural almonds.
    Good luck!!!!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, you have not failed! You just need to make some adjustments and give it time and lots of hard work. I'm struggling right now as well. I have a vision of what I want to be/want to happen, but I am trying to do so many things at once, I often get frustrated, so this month I am trying to take it slower and focus on the important things.

Looking at your diary, yes you are way over on calories a lot of days... instead of eating 2 oatmeal packets... eat only 1. eat only 1-2 thing for a snack instead of 3-4. for snacks i just try to have a piece of fruit, or protein bar, sometimes crackers w/ laughing cow cheese, veggies & hummus if you like dip.

You can also go on fat2fitradio and figure out your bf% and then bmr and all of that... there is a good link... i don't have it open atm, perhaps someone else will post it. but if you search here it might come up. that will help you more with a calorie goal.
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    I know what you mean! As a mom of four kids, I have complained for years that it's not fair how I have to be the one to make yummy foods and snacks for my kids, but somehow I'm supposed to not eat those things myself. I have learned that in moderation, I CAN eat most of what I prepare for my kids. But instead of loading my plate with the casserole, or the rolls, or the mac and cheese, I focus on bigger portions of salad or veggies and a smaller portion of the higher calorie food.

I wonder if the problem is that you are looking at your journey toward health as a "diet"--a thing that you just have to force yourself to do, and someday it will be over. The truth is, you should not look at this as having a "good" diet, and then having "cheat" foods, or "cheat" days. If you want to eat ice cream because everyone else is eating ice cream, then eat ice cream! Just eat a small portion, and make sure you log it. You can't cheat yourself if you are brutally honest about logging everything you eat.

As the mom in our home, I do buy lots of foods that I don't personally want to eat because they have lots of sugars, etc. I buy them for my kids. But, I do make sure I also keep alternative treats on hand for myself that align better with my personal goals for myself. I keep Skinny Cow ice cream treats in the freezer, and fat-free pudding cups, and fat-free whipped topping, and low-fat crackers and chips. I have a high fiber cereal when my kids eat Cookie Crisp, and I use skim milk instead of the whole milk or 2% that my kids use. Then I don't have to feel like I've failed, and I don't have to log as many calories as I would if I ate the full calorie alternative. Talk to your parents about buying you some lower calorie alternatives, and let them know how important it is to you to be able to meet your health goals.

And above all else, LOG, LOG, LOG. Every day, no matter what you eat. It WILL help you to make better food choices when you have to actually be accountable for the choices you are making.

Good luck, and don't give up!
  • Stutz77
    Stutz77 Posts: 113
    Options
    I so can relate! I feel like I am big goof up with this, most of it is me in the end. I still don't know why I mess up and slip. I have gotton so bad now I won't log my food beacuse I don't want to know how bad I am doing. I keep working out, but I have this voice in the back my head that will tell me go ahead and eat that ice cream it's okay you workout out today. I just read a great book called Primal Nutrition and it made a lot of sense when I read it. I recomend checking out the website www.marksdailyapple.com. It's the author of the books blog and some other stuff. I am also going to be doing the Beachbody Ultimate Reset (like a cleanse) to help me get refoucsed. Check out the website. I have made a lot of the meals but fell off the wagon again...keep your chin up and we will get through.
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump for later, need some advice in that department, too :)
  • js25698
    js25698 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some pretty good advice in the past hour. I just wanted to add my 2 cents. You CAN do it. Every single person on earth CAN. But weight loss is hard work. You REALLY have to WANT to lose weight to do it. If that wasn't true, the world would be full of skinny people. So asks yourself, what do I REALLY want? And then ask yourself, what that will do for you? Saying, "I want to lose weight and fit into smaller clothes" is different than saying, "I want to lose weight and fit into smaller clothes that I can wear to my high school reunion coming up in July." See the difference?? If you get what you REALLY want, nothing will deter you. 13 years ago, I saw a picture that my co-worker took of me sitting at my desk. I had a perfectly round circle of a face. Just like Charlie Brown. That day I decided to lose weight and kept 65 pounds off for about 12 years. Now I got sloppy and am here because I put some back on. But I did it and you can too. Believe in yourself and your dreams.
    And with goodies in the house, my friend keeps her family's cookies in a separate drawer in the kitchen. Yes, she knows that they are there. But for the most part, it helps. Out of sight, out of mind is at least half of the battle.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    You've gotten some pretty good advice in the past hour. I just wanted to add my 2 cents. You CAN do it. Every single person on earth CAN. But weight loss is hard work. You REALLY have to WANT to lose weight to do it. If that wasn't true, the world would be full of skinny people.
    The world is mostly full of skinny people :). Moderation and active lifestyle are the key.
  • rasp12
    rasp12 Posts: 17
    Options
    From my efforts over the years and why I feel more confident this time, allow me to share.
    I have lost and regained weight a few times. I tried in January to get started again but went visiting and slipped off track.
    I spoke to a friend who had lost 50 lbs on the diabetic diet program at the local hospital who provided a lot of help and support.

I watched a local public TV show called TVO/the agenda.org about addiction on April 3, 2012. The panel consisted of a neuroscientist who used to be a drug addict in his youth, a philosopher focusing on addiction who is a recovering alcoholic, a medical director of a 12-step food addiction clinic and a clinical director of a large addiction centre.

They made me aware of a number of points.
    *Addictions (shopping, gambling, sex, food, drugs, food) start out as choices which are repeated and then develop into cravings with established neural pathways in the brain.

*When we first choose to eat food with sugar, fat and starch, we get a dopamine rush and gratification.
    * With repeated treats, we get the dopamine rush just by thinking about those foods. If this happened in childhood, it is longterm conditioning. If it started as an adult, it still eventually becomes an automatic response based on established neural pathways in our brain so we are not ever conscious of this happening.

To change, I had to consciously recognize the addictive behaviour, take charge of my thoughts and choices, develop new neural pathways and set a goal. I used portion control as my goal based on the public dietitian's food guide for my age. My DH was concerned with his weight gain due to health issues and was willing to join me which has made things much easier but I would have done it anyway.

If I still had a difficult job or otherwise really stressful life, I believe it would be unrealistic to think that I could focus to the same extent as I can today.

Whenever I think of slipping up, I realize that this is just what an alcoholic or drug addict is dealing with.
    To create these new neural pathways required me to have the same focus and effort as learning a new language, I think. I read and reread for a month each evening, the size of the diabetic exchanges that I had copied from a library book until I was so familiar and knew what they meant. I bought some stainless steel cup measures to make sure that I was eating the right amount especially of the starch which is so easy to exceed.

My friend stressed the need to record every morsel that crossed my lips. I joined this site and there were a number of times when I stopped and reconsidered an item because I did not want to record it.

Look at the carb exchanges on the diabetic listings.http://www.livestrong.com/article/109839-diabetic-carb-exchange-list/

I have now lost 18 lbs since January and feel a lot lighter and more active. I have 22 lbs more that I should lose. I walk 2 1/2 miles a day for exercise. I am determined to stay on correct portion because just like the drug addict or alcoholic, I don't want to return to the addictive state. I now focus on what is the right size for me. When someone tries to feed you something different, think and ask yourself, would you offer alcohol to an alcoholic? What would the alcoholic say or do? I am not responsible for what others do, just my own choices.

I focus on starch carbs of 30 gms per meal, limit my daily fruit and dairy to three portions, daily protein to 2 (2 1/2 oz or 1/2 cup) portions with one being 1/4 C of cottage cheese with breakfast cereal or I get hungry midmorning, a daily limit of 2 Tbsp fat and unlimited vegetables. If I have legumes, I must remember that each legume portion supplies both protein and starch for that meal.

Hope that helps and that you find a way that works well for you.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've messed up, again. I don't understand why I keep screwing up. I try and try and try to eat right but I always mess up. I don't understand. Others have been able to lose 10 lbs or more a month, I have tried and tried and can't get the scale to budget a single pound. I've tried so hard to eat right, but I always slip up no matter what I try. Someone please tell me what am I doing wrong? besides the obvious.

I know I need to clean up my diet, which I am doing now. Before I mainly ate healthy, but it wasn't healthy enough. I'm sure people will look at my food diary and critique it, but that's not what I need. I already know what to do because I've been here so many times. What I need to know is why can't I get my act together? I set plans up so that I don't get to the bad food, but somehow I do anyways.... I can't stop my parents from bringing the bad foods home and I can't stop others from trying to give me the bad stuff no matter what I say. So, I keep failing...only, I keep failing a little less terribly each time, but I am tired of failing. What do I have to do to finally get it right?

your diary is under and looks good - what are you worried about ?? did you not log the 'slip up'?
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    It is possible that you eat unhealthy food as a way to cope for something else in life, or as a comfort. You should try and figure out why it is you can't resist the bad food and focus on solving that first. Otherwise, diet will always be a torturous struggle.

I think this is the number one reason dieters fail.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist always tells me," if you mess up, say to yourself, tomorrow is another day. I will start all over again and eat a proper diet." You've messed up today but it's over and done with. Start fresh tomorrow and move forward instead of dwelling on the bad days. You can do this!
  • AlexJourneyHall
    AlexJourneyHall Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. I definitely haven't given up. That's one that that is for sure.

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

Quit does not exist!

I just feel bad sometimes because I keep trying and keep messing up. But you guys have given great advice. Please feel free to add me or talk to me more if you have more advice. Im trying to get better everyday.

ANd just in case this pops again, I exercise 6 days a week and I drink at least a quart of water a day!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had to learn t put me first. My needs. I have junk food in the house because no one else has the weight issue that I have. BUT I do not keep junk food that I like. For instance I recently bought cookie dough for a fund raiser for my son. I couldnt stay out of it. I LOVE COOKIE DOUGH. So, I took that 20.00 box of pre cut cookie dough and PUT IT IN THE TRASH. When you come to the point that you are ready, and willing to make those changes you will. But unfortunately not until you are truely ready to let it all go and make the change. Like you I tried and tried and tried and failed and failed and failed. But one day I was watching TV my back was killing me 214 on a 5'1 frame. Decided I'd use that treadmil I bought. When I realized that I felt so much better, I kept it up. It just clicked. I started at 2.8. now I can run at 5mph. not that I havent had set backs. I was actually running 3 miles daily then all of the suffen I couldnt. diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. I still cant. I have lost the motivation. I can run about 2-3 now. I have plateaued for over a year. I have just lost 3 pounds in a year. It is frustrating but it is not just lifestyle change it is behavior change. I always told my self if it takes 6 weeks to break a bad habit then it should take 6 weeks to create a good habit, I can do it for 6 weeks. I did and I am still doing, not losing weight much at all but I am trying. I eat healthy I exercise. I am a total of 50 pounds down in 2 years, not 2 months.
  • mcdonnell77
    mcdonnell77 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey i have had a look at your diary and perhaps your calorie intake set at 2100 is to high and on alot of days your going over that. My calorie intake is set at 1930 and thats with an active lifestyle. I have also looked at your food diary and you eat lots of carbs try reducing your calorie intake to around 1500 a day and carbs to around 100-150g a day. You have a habit of going over your calorie goals so try and stick to them.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Some may call it lack of motivation or lack of willpower but I see this problem as having errors in your thinking. First, can you clarify what you mean when you say that you "mess up"? Are you following a specific diet plan? Or do you just have an idea in your mind of what foods you should be eating and which to avoid? Different things work for different people, but for me it works best to have it in my head that I can eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calorie range. I tend to feel guilty when I eat something "bad" and in the past have let one "bad" snack lead me to have a whole day of "bad" foods, then it turns into weeks of overeating and telling myself I will start tomorrow.... I am constantly trying to make changes to my diet to be more healthy, add nutrients, etc. But I am also trying to let go of the guilt.

Try to identify the thoughts that you are having about food. When someone brings foods into the house that you know are trigger foods for you, what are you telling yourself when you decide to eat it? Come up with a challenging thought that keeps your priorities in mind. One common mantra is "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" but you can come up with anything that resonates with you.

That being said, a program like Weight Watchers might work well for you. They do focus on healthy eating but also endorse the idea that no foods are forbidden, but you just have to stick with your points goals. They also have flex points that you can use throughout the week. They are great for days when you do have something extra that you didn't plan for or if you have a party, going out to eat, etc. I have been on WW in the past and those concepts really helped to minimize the guilt when going over in points on a given day and also help you to feel like you aren't being deprived at special occasions. I have always wondered how I could incorporate some of those concepts into basic calorie counting (I no longer can find my WW calculator and can't pay for a weight loss program right now).
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Useful Edison quotes (or something close to his quotes):

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize HOW CLOSE THEY WERE to success when they gave up.”

“When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this - you haven't.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to TRY JUST ONE MORE TIME.”

And perhaps my personal favorite...
    "THERE ARE NOT RULES HERE -- WE'RE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING.”

If you know what you need to do already (eat healthy, get some exercise to be healthy), then only you can determine why you are failing. But, you already acknowledge that 1) You KEEP trying, and 2) You don't "fail" as badly ... which really just means you are learning what works for you.

Best of luck... I believe you can do it. :flowerforyou:
    Just have to say who much I really loved your reply.