What is the best to eat for breakfast?

Options
I am trying to watch what I eat of course, not always doing well. End up eating too much fat. Since I now started going to the gym again, I want to know what is best to eat in the morning. I wanted to be careful with eating carbs, but not completely cutting it out, like some do.

So the last couple of weeks I have been eating an omelette with thin slices of bacon and spring onion. But there are no carbs in that and I need to know if that is a good idea, if you are going to work out, either in the gym or at home. Would it maybe be better to do that omelette thing for lunch?

Would love to get some advice.

Carina

Replies

• emhow
    emhow Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Porridge with banana and cinnamon! Great fuel for a workout.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Probably the best thing is something protein filled like eggs and some type of fish with it. But I love my porridge and banana! :-)
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have natural muesli and at the moment yoplait forme french vailla yoghurt but normally I have greekstyle yoghurt.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    plain oatmeal and a mix of whole eggs and egg whites, the egg yolks are full of healthy fats and raise good (LDL) cholesterol levels, so its not really better for you to eat only egg whites like people love to do so much. the oatmeal is healthy carbs, you could eat some fruit with that if you intend to workout in the morning
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I am trying to watch what I eat of course, not always doing well. End up eating too much fat. Since I now started going to the gym again, I want to know what is best to eat in the morning. I wanted to be careful with eating carbs, but not completely cutting it out, like some do.

So the last couple of weeks I have been eating an omelette with thin slices of bacon and spring onion. But there are no carbs in that and I need to know if that is a good idea, if you are going to work out, either in the gym or at home. Would it maybe be better to do that omelette thing for lunch?

Would love to get some advice.

Carina

Carbs are OK first thing in the body or after a workout when the body is best primed to handle it - that's what I read somewhere anyway :wink:
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for these replies. So am I okay in eating my 2 or 3 egg omelette with bacon? Or should i do it without the bacon? I am not a plain yoghurt eater, so would need something to make it taste nice.
  • msmartsmart
    msmartsmart Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Only eat it if you need it or if you're hungry.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat anything that's healthy and within your allowance, this morning I had turkey steak and spinach :smile:
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    doesnt 2 or 3 eggs seem a lot.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't cut out carbs altogether they are your fuel, best to have them in the morning and not after 6pm. I would suggest oats or low sugar wholegrain cereals and fruit for brekkie and then use your protein more at lunch and dinner.

I have lost 8 stones and kept it off for 4 years now and I find this works for me. I have only just discovered this app and am trying to lost half a stone more for a party at the end of the month. Wish I had found this app earlier it's fantastic.

Good Luck Jules xx
  • alp1990
    alp1990 Posts: 56
    Options
    I think 2 or 3 eggs is fine. I have a low calorie scrambled egg on nimble bread with either 2 or 3 eggs most days. Its good to start with a high calorie meal in the morning, especially if you are going to work out.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    I say lose the bacon. Try 1 whole egg with 4 egg white throw in some spinach broccoli,maybe some low fat cheese it n some whole wheat toast IF you want and enjoy.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I cannot get through a day without a full English breakfast. I don't care how bad it is for me...
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have, post workout...

35g of protein with 10g dextrose...

If its a rest day, or Im doing Cardio in the PM, I drop the protein and dextrose, and add it after my run.

About a half hour or so after that I have breakfast....

Cup of Bran Flakes
    1/2 cup of All Bran
    4-6 Strawberries
    1.5 cup skim milk
    scoop of metamucil
    4 fish oil
    2 cups of coffee - travel mug and off to work...

I wish they could some of the sodium out of the cereals tho...

Starts the day off right for me.... Lots of fiber and protein keeps ya full!