Night Shift Gain

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum however I've been a member for about a month. I gained weight since changing jobs and working in night shift (graveyard). Does anyone have the same experience? I could use some motivation and support since I've been slacking in counting my calories and exercising. I would love to make some friends here! I've lost 4 lbs by myself and 2 lbs using MFP. I've also joined the May 5 lb challenge.

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately working the night shift throws off your entire Circadian Rhythm. Been there done that-UGGGG. I would do some research on line and figure out what works best for you. Bring several small meals to work that are healthy. depending on your job try to walk. When I worked night I was an RN on a floor and uses to walk the hallways and did the stairs.

Good luck
  • snailers
    snailers Posts: 10
    Options
    I work in the hospital too and I'm also trying to be on my feet all the time. My coworkers actually said I need to sit down! haha But I've noticed I get hungry in the morning and when I get home I binge and then sleep. Not the best diet plan but that's the main problem... I will try your method of bringing small snacks so I won't get too hungry in the morning. Thanks!
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I work night shift too, I'm a cop. I try to portion out meals and bring food in a cooler. I set times to eat (although doesn't always work out) I did really good for 2 weeks, I fell off the wagon this week!
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I pre-prepare meals to take with me - I take healthy snacks (tonight it's fruit salad and veggie sticks with skinny dip) and I usually take a small portion of leftovers from dinner to eat at around 0300. I find that gets me through until i wake up in the afternoon without binging before going to bed.

Does that help?
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I eat from 12:01a-11:59p......obviously not continuosly but I run my day from those hours. I eat only in that time frame for my 'day'.....perhaps if you log and track consistently it would help....that may be the reason for your gain. Keep on going for it and as long as you track/log/whatever you should be able to do this :) and if you aren't eating enough that could be a culprit.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've been working night shift for around 10 years now. I don't think it had anything to do with my weight. Could have though. But it's not really an issue now.

I always take enough food with my to last my 3 12 hour shifts. Once I'm at work, there's no leaving till it's time to clock out. Plus everything is closed. I have 3 meals at work plus a snack. I try to plan it so everything fits into my goals.

I log my food on a 24 hour schedule.
    8am-12pm
    12pm-4pm
    4pm-8pm
    8pm-12am
    12am-4am
    4am-8am

Whatever I eat goes into the time slot that I ate it. I've also been upping my protein and it does seem to help keep me full and prevent me from getting that donut while I'm waiting for the bus in the morning. If you'd like to look at my food diary you're welcome to. Just a warning, I don't eat clean and sometimes I mess up.
  • snailers
    snailers Posts: 10
    Options
    I feel that it's especially hard for people who work nights because I have no idea when the "cutoff" time for our daily calorie limit is. Does the breakfast we eat get counted as a meal for yesterday or today? And also, where do we track our midnight snacks? :(
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I feel that it's especially hard for people who work nights because I have no idea when the "cutoff" time for our daily calorie limit is. Does the breakfast we eat get counted as a meal for yesterday or today? And also, where do we track our midnight snacks? :(
    24 hours is 24 hours.
  • DevanA4
    DevanA4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I work nights and sleep in two shifts. I have to squeeze in exercise too. I have two small kids that have to be picked up at 3pm. I feel like my life is one long drawn out excuse. I do fine at work cause I don't leave (and everything is closed) so I only eat what I bring. I make dinners a week at a time (on a perfect week). But I eat when I get up then feel like I wanna eat dinner with my family. Then back to bed from 7;30-11pm. I usually only wind up with 5-6 total hours of sleep a day and each day is like two days. Plus, I love beer. Sigh. I have searched and searched for women working night shift trying to lose weight/be healthy. I kinda fell in a jackpot here. :) I just never feel like I am making any forward progress and even when I do I go back in to self destruct mode and ruin it all. I feel like I need to see a shrink. I may try an OA meeting. I've been looking into it but just been scared. It's like my brain is sabatoging me. That sounds weird I know. Something has to give and soon.
    Devan 37 F
  • ChesterAyers
    ChesterAyers Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I work 11pm-730am and plan my meals on a 12 hour schedule from noon to noon instead of what most "daywalkers" would do as midnight to midnight. My breakfast is late afternoon/early evening, lunch very early morning and dinner dawn-ish. I do sneak a snack here and there. After a shift I hit the gym between an hour and two with a protein shake and then sleep and rinse and repeat.

Obviously you have to find your best setup, and I just started. But I lost 11 pounds in 4 weeks, so working night shift is not a curse on weight loss. I also find it a ton easier to log my meals and exercise in nearly a full day in advance so I know what I am going to need to prepare for food and I also mentally don't want to fall of course and have to change anything for the worse.

I hope that helps, or you can gain something from what I have been doing.
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is that Night Shift is sort of like a pot-luck bring-a-plate thing, and everyone brings some communal food. Usually a packet of chips or chocolate or something else deliciously terrible... Then i not only feel bad for not contributing, but also get tempted by bad food!

I've prepared awesome food to share tonight, full of stuff i LOVE that's healthy so hopefully even if other people aren't interested in it, I'll love it enough to avoid the junk!
  • superbabesuperhot
    Options
    Hi I also work nights 11pm-7am.I also have 2 kids and what i find works for me is- eat enough food during the night that would equal a breakfast. Such as a bowl of cereal or toast make sure it has protein on it such as yoghurt on the cereal or peanut butter on the toast.Then log it as breakfast the next day.Make sure you drink enough water throughout the shift.If still hungry have an apple or orange-log as part of breakfast. Then during awake time exercise-most important of all then you can eat more!.Good luck!
    PS-I drink heaps of green tea-increases metabolic rate and fills u up.
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I've worked 7pm-7am a week on and a week off for nearly 20 years (hospital). As someone above posted, the key for me has been to plan and prepare meals in advance. I try to take nutritious food (fruits and veggies) with me, and I make sure I have plenty for a snack. Sunday night, I didn't prepare in advance (just too tired) and ended up eating a cinnamon roll from the snack machine (ugh, 450 calories)...Our hospital has very few healthy food options, ironic huh?

I also log my first meal after midnight as "breakfast" even though it's rarely breakfast food. My last meal during the day is sometimes around 11pm the same day.

As I've gotten older, it's harder to motivate myself to workout the days I work.
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    I do rotation shift work over a 6 week period. So my meals are all over the place, depending ont he shift I am on. To try and keep some balance and routine for recording i just use the first meal no matter what, after I wake up is breakfast, 2nd meal lunch and third meal dinner. Doesnt matter what I eat I tend to put it in that order. Keeping to a healthy regime can be hard and I know I am prone tofalling off, but just keep picking myself up and starting back where I left off. Seems to work for me.
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Im nights too 7p-7a about 3-4 nights on average a week. I just log midnight to midnight as a day and it doesnt matter to me when I put breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, as long as I dont go over in that period of my 1200 budget. I lost since and continue loosing. Plus I am blessed to workout at work and on off days I force myself to do something to burn too. 30 day shred by Jillian works in front of my tv with weights and mat :flowerforyou:

YES pack your food before going to work too, water water water!!! :drinker:

12146223.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Night shift is where I gained over 40 lbs. I think my problem was not sleeping properly, and absolutely eating horrid food at work (people make snacks, bring candy around, drug rep leftovers etc). And to top it off I have a side business which is a chef recipe site where I have to edit food photos etc!

I'm not sure I can go back to night shift ever, I feel so much better on days. But if I did, I would bring my own lunch/snacks and try to have the willpower to stick to them. Night shift is so hard!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I love working night shift :D Maybe I am the only one :indifferent: But, currently I am unable to workout due to having 2 herniated disks in my back so I am sure that I've put on a few pounds however, I ain't gonna sweat it bc pt says by June I should be able to workout again... Anyways, feel free to add me!
  • kevglu
    kevglu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a night shift (10pm-6am) sergeant in a prison who got transferred to this shift with my promotion in March, I have since lost thirty pounds and am still going strong. Being strict about logging everything into MyFitnessPal has been huge, even if it's just a mental factor of not wanting people to think I'm a pig at times. My wife joined with me and we started cooking pretty much every meal and counting calories, I pre-package everything I'm going to eat for the night and bring a gallon of water, I don't leave it to chance or risk having to eat what the prison or vending machine serves. You can do it, I know fighting the temptation to eat out of boredom is hard, but you've got to really want it deep down. Whenever I get super-bored I take a walk around the facility, I try to stay as active as I can even wiggling my legs around at my desk. Just make up your mind, decide to do it, and do it. End of story.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that works the nightshift and wants to lose 100 pounds. Thanks for the tips!!
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    I work nights and I'm doing fine,I use midnight as the cut off and it actually works quite well
    170 days and 38 pounds lighter..
    any night people can add me as a friend 8)