Yoga

Options
I started Yoga today for the first time in three months. It feels great to be back...I plan to go three days a week. I hope I can keep up the motivation I need to continue. I can really feel the difference when I go and I could really feel it this morning. It has been way too long.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I have a program I do 6 days a week. It helps me mentally and physically.

Great job.
  • vhardwick
    Options
    Is it a DVD or do you go somewhere? If it is a DVD I would love the name of it for days that I can't get out to go to class.
  • vhardwick
    Options
    Also, how many calories do you think an hour of Yoga burns? Just curious...
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    I love yoga! I took it for my PE class back in college. Won't say how long ago that's been, but I will say I miss Yoga Zone (from the '90's). It bounced around cable channels. Can you recommend any DVDs? I prefer to do yoga at home, not in a class.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Also, how many calories do you think an hour of Yoga burns? Just curious...

Mine is actually a Playstation Game. It interacts with my current ability levels and fitness goals to design a unique fitness workout each day. It is called Yourself Fitness.

Calories...not many for me anyway. I have a resting heart rate in the upper 50s. So yoga never brings my HR higher than 100bpm. I burn about 50 calories for 25 minutes.

I also have a DVD called "PowerYoga for Runners". That one does get my heart rate up and is 50 min long. I don't do it often since I tend to couple yoga and running so I don't have time for it.
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I usually do the 10 minute Solutions Yoga for beginners, it has 5 ten-minute yoga workouts that you can build a "playlist" of each time you workout. There is a energizing flow for mornings and a calming one for the evenings, which has REALLY helped my stress levels. I have been eyeing a power yoga DVD as well, but I am definitely still on a beginners level.

There is a listing in the cardio exercise for namasthe yoga, this is what I use to count it. I think it only burns about 100-120 cal per 30 min.
  • ljwilso1
    ljwilso1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many calories it burns depends on the type. Something vigorous like vinyasa burns more than hatha, for example. Those looking for DVDs who have been doing yoga for a while should check out Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti video. It allows you to *program* it to tailor your practice. There are about 30 different sets of poses (e.g., various sets of sun salutations, moon salutations, backbends, etc.) and you can tailor it to what you need that day, skill level, etc.
  • kittynurse
    Options
    In terms of DVDs, if you're looking for a little bit more toning rather than strictly relaxation, Baron Baptiste has great DVDs. There's a 30-minute DVD that's beginner level (great for when you're getting back into the swing of things) called "Journey into Power", and he has many longer, more advanced videos as well.
  • angl421
    Options
    check out a website called yoga today. it'sa great resource. some free classes and some classes you can pay for(not expensive) and download to ipod/computer.

i am also just getting back into yoga. i've missed it more than i realized.
  • vhardwick
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for you helpful comments!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I like Rodney Yee's videos. Patricia Walden is good too. Podcasts are free though and there are some out there that make a new podcast every week.

As far as calories burned, yeah, it's different for different types of yoga.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I LOVE Yoga. It is the healthiest modality of exercise you can do for yourself. I wrote an incredible article on Replacing medicine and surgeries with Yoga to live free. I believe this will motivate you a ton: http://tombirkenmeyer.blogspot.com/2009/09/replace-your-medication-with-yoga-and.html