The Feared Plateau

Options
Hi there!
I've been losing weight since the end of December and I think I came a long way since then, because I lost weight very slowly
I'm now 5'10" and I weigh around 130-132 lbs (depending on the day that weight myself) I've been stuck on this for the last couple of weeks and I don't seem to drop any lower. I would just love to see myself drop below 130 lbs!

I'm a senior in High School and besides that I do Track & Field 5 days a week (after school) For at least 1,5 hours. That also includes a visit to the weight room every day.
I've been lowering my calories and Im now even down to 700-800kcal a day (Not NETO, just the food) I'm even getting scared of eating more than that. I notice that I try to eat as few calories as possible, but still have enough to feel good enough to go to my practice... I know this isn't good but I just don't wanna gain weight again...

Does anyone has any tips or anything?
Help?...

Replies

• JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i havent lost anything in 3 months I've tried everything well almost so now that I think about it i gotta try that one last thing!
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    With the amount of exercise you are doing, and calories you're eating, it sounds like you're driving your body into starvation mode. It's not healthy to only eat 700-800 calories a day. You're too active for that. You should research how much athletes eat. Also at your height 130lb seems completely healthy.

Is there a reason why you are striving for this?
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I've been losing weight since the end of December and I think I came a long way since then, because I lost weight very slowly
    I'm now 5'10" and I weigh around 130-132 lbs (depending on the day that weight myself) I've been stuck on this for the last couple of weeks and I don't seem to drop any lower. I would just love to see myself drop below 130 lbs!

I'm a senior in High School and besides that I do Track & Field 5 days a week (after school) For at least 1,5 hours. That also includes a visit to the weight room every day.
    I've been lowering my calories and Im now even down to 700-800kcal a day (Not NETO, just the food) I'm even getting scared of eating more than that. I notice that I try to eat as few calories as possible, but still have enough to feel good enough to go to my practice... I know this isn't good but I just don't wanna gain weight again...

Does anyone has any tips or anything?
    Help?...

Eat more. You should NET at least 1200. Increase your calories, don't lower them and eat back your workout calories.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and 130 seems really low. Maybe you sure just try to bulk up and tone instead of lose more weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and 130 seems really low. Maybe you sure just try to bulk up and tone instead of lose more weight.

This^^^^^

Get more muscle instead of losing even more. You're at the very low end of "normal" on BMI scales. Muscle gain would be great now. (And increase the likelihood of maintaining that loss!)
  • NatasPV
    NatasPV Posts: 17
    Options

Is there a reason why you are striving for this?

I know it's messing with my mind and distorting my body image... but the reason why I'm striving for this is because I wanna try and become a model...
  • NatasPV
    NatasPV Posts: 17
    Options
    Would anyone know a study on this? Something that proves that eating more will not make me gain weight
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Would anyone know a study on this? Something that proves that eating more will not make me gain weight

You need to speak with a doctor, dietitian, or nutritionist. Study or not, I'm positive any of these degreed professionals will tell you this. Also not to sound rude or anything, I'd highly recommend a Physiciatrist.

"I know it's messing with my mind and distorting my body image... but the reason why I'm striving for this is because I wanna try and become a model..."

If you are aware that you have a distorted body image, maybe you are also able to accept that you may need medical help, not just random people online giving you suggestions. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, rude, or anything negative. It just seems that there may be some issues that you need doctors to evaluate, and help you with.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is sort of right, but I completely understand what's happening to you right now, because I've had the same problem and currently have the same BMI as you (I'm 19, 5'8, 123). I managed to get down to a bmi of 17.9 recently at 1000 a day...and then I realized I had a problem. I think you're realizing that.
    Now, I'm not going to tell you not to lose weight because that'd make me a hypocrite, but first ask yourself if modeling is *really* what you want, there's a dark side to that profession.
    If it is, you need to get down to that weight by upping your activity and upping your cals. Not going to lie, you'll probably gain at first, I did gain a few pounds when I upped to 1500, but then your metabolism will go up again and your newly found muscles (don't worry, not bulky ones, lean ones) will burn more calories even when you're just sleeping, and your body will learn to need that many calories. If you do this right, eating healthy foods and exercising and being patient, you'll begin to lose weight at anything below around 1700 calories once more, and your body will be MUCH happier. If you don't want t up cals you have two choices: develop a full blown eating disorder by lowering your calories until you eat nothing and you still don't lose (destroying your body and mind in the process) or getting there the way the smarter models do, through by eating moderate amounts of health food and keeping their metabolism up by being active. Good luck. :)
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Think of your body as an engine and food as gas. You're trying to run a Hummer on a prius's worth of gas. In order to get to the finish line, you need to eat more.

The NET amount you should eat is 1,200. If you want to be a model, take a diet from a model. http://www.livestrong.com/article/90010-heidi-klum-diet/ <---- That is Heidi Klum's diet. If you notice though, she doesn't work out nearly as much as you do so you'll need more food than her. More exercise = more food.

It may seem hard at first to eat a net of 1,200 calories but you can start incorporating more calorie dense foods like peanut butter, coconuts, and avocado or dairy into your diet. The fats will also improve your skin tone (a model's best asset aside from her body).

I'm really hoping that using a model's diet as a model for your diet really drives home that you're not eating enough food. I was trying to incorporate your interests. Let me know if you need more explanation. :smile:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is sort of right, but I completely understand what's happening to you right now, because I've had the same problem and currently have the same BMI as you (I'm 19, 5'8, 123). I managed to get down to a bmi of 17.9 recently at 1000 a day...and then I realized I had a problem. I think you're realizing that.
    Now, I'm not going to tell you not to lose weight because that'd make me a hypocrite, but first ask yourself if modeling is *really* what you want, there's a dark side to that profession.
    If it is, you need to get down to that weight by upping your activity and upping your cals. Not going to lie, you'll probably gain at first, I did gain a few pounds when I upped to 1500, but then your metabolism will go up again and your newly found muscles (don't worry, not bulky ones, lean ones) will burn more calories even when you're just sleeping, and your body will learn to need that many calories. If you do this right, eating healthy foods and exercising and being patient, you'll begin to lose weight at anything below around 1700 calories once more, and your body will be MUCH happier. If you don't want t up cals you have two choices: develop a full blown eating disorder by lowering your calories until you eat nothing and you still don't lose (destroying your body and mind in the process) or getting there the way the smarter models do, through by eating moderate amounts of health food and keeping their metabolism up by being active. Good luck. :)

Good post!!

Eating 7-800 and doing that amount of exercise probably leaves you on MINUS net calories which is seriously unhealthy and sounds like an eating disroder to me. Being a model is not worth risking your health for.
    Below 130 seems VERY low for your height so the reason you can't lose more is that you don't have anything left to lose!!

You should set your calories to maintenance and do some heavy weight training, this will make you smaller rather than lighter as muscle is more dense than fat, you won't end up 'bulky' as that takes huge amounts of training and a high calorie high protein diet. You will end up lean and toned, rather than thin but flabby. I don't know how modelling agencies work but I guess they would rather you be smaller with a higher weight instead of bigger with a lower weight.
    Look up lorinalynn, she is an amazing example of how you can get smaller without actually losing any pounds.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You're 5'10 and want to be below 130? You're not at a plateau - your body is at a healthy weight, a LOW healthy weight. You will be underweight below 130, calculate your BMI for that. I'm striving for 130 and I'm 5'4. You DON'T need to lose any weight at all, if you have trouble spots that are bothering you, try strength training.
  • DiscoveringSoul
    Options
    I heard that upping your water and lowering your sodium intake will work, but honestly you need to eat more than 800 a day, it can be another 400 cals of fruit and veg if you want, anything, just up your cals, its not a fun way to live, being in constant fear "/ anyway, up your cals because your metabolism is probably too low xxx