Tips for a beginer at pushups & Lunges...

Options
I need help, I have started to do push ups, I am trying for 3 x 15 per day, but I struggle to make it to the first set of 15, my arms shake and I have a real hard time with it :(
I also have to take about a 30sec to minute break between reps and I really struggle to do all 3 reps, how can i get better at it, I know people say practice but it doesn't seem to be getting easier.
The same with Lunges, my right leg starts to really shake and I struggle really bad getting to 15 :(
TIPS ARE REALLY APPRECIATED!

Replies

• rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing them everyday, try doing your workout every other day. Your muscles need some rest in order to rebuild and get stronger.
  • Cyndi62
    Cyndi62 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good call rawfitness. Also, I would suggest finding a few other ways to strengthen your arms with less weight than your full body weight. Start off with some 5lb free weights and see if after a couple weeks doing some curls, if you are able to do the pushups without the shakes.

good luck and keep on pushing!!
  • kailaburch89
    kailaburch89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing the push up from your knees?
    I can't do full push ups yet and I'm still trying to build up my reps. About 2 weeks ago, I could only do 3 or 4 on my knees, by doing them every other day, as well as other weight training, I can now do 10 no problem. Once I can do 15 comfortably, then I'll try full push ups as I'd have got the basics right.
    Hope that helps!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Google the 100 pushup challenge and check out that site....It starts you out slowly, based on your current abilities.

On second thought, don't google it......here is the address:

http://hundredpushups.com/

I think this will help....
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would start doing them at the kitchen sink---arms on counter, feet out behind you. After that is easy enough, move on the the woman modified type and after that the big girl push ups. When I first started I did as many big girl push ups as I could, went to me knees when I needed to finish out the reps.
  • cat_nz
    cat_nz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My pilates instructor, and most class instructors I've ever had, will give a 'modified version' of an exercise. I suck at pushups, so instead of going all the way down and having to stop at 5, I do smaller dips. (No idea what the real terminology should be here sorry!) This way I will build my upper body strength still and hopefully the more I do it, and the stronger I get, the lower I will be able to go, and for longer :happy: Same goes with lunges, don't go down as far until you have built the strength to cope with it.
  • GurvD
    GurvD Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Google the 100 pushup challenge and check out that site....It starts you out slowly, based on your current abilities.

On second thought, don't google it......here is the address:

http://hundredpushups.com/

I think this will help....

This is what I would recomend. It really increased the amount of press ups I could do in just a couple of weeks. I am defintely going to start this program again this year.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The hundred push up thing is a good tool. All I can say is: Just remember...they will get easier. Try doing them against the wall, then other modified versions, and before you know it, you'll be doing clap push ups, haha :)
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this, but I did ask a trainer how to get better at push ups and he told me to start doing standing push ups by pushing off the wall and then increase the intensity by doing push ups from an incline (for ex. from the lower edge of the couch).

Good luck to you!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing them everyday, try doing your workout every other day. Your muscles need some rest in order to rebuild and get stronger.

^^^I agree!^^^
  • jdsanderson12
    Options
    Well.. I am loosing weight, but my "spare tire" is not going down as much. Am eating good foods, but need a little something to help tighten it up/..... other than crutches. Hate CRUNCHES!!
  • kailaburch89
    kailaburch89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, this all helps :) I hav been doing them from my knees :) they are starting to get easier now :)