Eating too much?

Options
I got a Polar FT40 last week, and I love it. I use it when I work out from start (30+ min Cardio) to finish (30+ min weight lifting);

I lift fairly quickly, to keep my heart rate up - typically 50-10 intervals, and if not, then 10 reps, 4 exercises, 3 sets with roughly 45 seconds rest between each exercise, then switch to a new 2 or 3 exercise circuit.

Typically, in an hour session, based on my heart rate/calorie reading, I burn between 650-800 Gross calories.

I convert those to Net Calories, and then put those into my exercise log.

However, that puts me consuming over 2000 calories if I eat back my exercise calories (which I always do). My TDEE is around there. My BMR is around 1480, so my net calorie consumption goal is 1500-1550 per day.

My concern is that I'm eating too many calories - that perhaps my exercise calories are too high, or I shouldn't be recording calories burned during weight training? Before getting my HRM, I was only recording my cardio calories and eating those back (roughly 250-400 calories).

Granted, my goal is to replace fat with muscle so I understand weight gain, but my measurements haven't changed much over the past 6 weeks, and I've been exercising in the 65-80% max HR zone, just without the HRM.

A little info to go off of:
5'8.5"
144-ish
C: 35.5"
W: 27.5"
H: 39.75"

I am trying to be patient but it's frustrating that I haven't seen a consistent measurement change since February.
Ideas, advice?

Replies

• AReisenfeld
    AReisenfeld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No ideas at all?
  • nutandbutter
    nutandbutter Posts: 447
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. I have a bodymediafit and I normally burn about 2200 calories with ST alone and I'm only 5'4", 135. Also, since you're in a healthy weight range, it's slower to lose at this point. You should aim for .5 lb/wk.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you eat around 1500-1550 with a TDEE of 2000 then weight loss should result for sure, although if you're at the lower end of the BMR estimate accuracy range even that may be debatable.

If you then exercise x and eat y it gets less clear cut. You didn't say what your net calories from exercise were, if you wanted an idea to try I would suggest dropping the cardio exercise completely and only eating 200 calories back on days when you do the lifting if you are hungry. Try that for two weeks.
  • thebossman2
    Options
    what kind of foods are you eating? Stick to a lean protein and veggies for your carb source and you will lose weight like no tomorrow. Also, complex carbs... remember that. Try taking a preworkout or drink a cup of coffee before you workout, it'll give you energy and suppress your hunger afterwards so you wont feel like eating as much. Helps me out alot, prevents me from binge eating after the gym which I use to do all the time