Feeling extremely cold?

Options
For awhile now, I've been getting very cold very easily. Even in warm weather my hands are like ice to other people. When everyone else is wearing a t-shirt I'm in a sweatshirt. I get so cold at night that sometimes I feel sick.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be/how to fix it?
I'm thinking it has something to do with my journey to becoming healthy, but it's been way worse since I started maintaining a few months ago.

Replies

• lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough. I had this while I was eating a 500 calorie deficit. Wasn't enough for my body to function properly to keep me warm.

Up your calories if you can to half a pound a week loss and see how you do!
  • redbekah
    redbekah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm already set on maintenance calories and have been for a few months
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I get cold as I have less fat to insulate me from the cold... so it could probably be the same with you!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. I can never seem to get warm and I always have the "hands of death". I think I just have terrible circulation, I'm not sure what to do about it. I've upped my cals from 1350 to 1450 to 1550 to 1650 and am now at around 1800 and it's always been the same. I'm cold in a 75-degree house!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump! sorry i couldn't be of more help, but definitely interested in hearing answers to this. i know it definitely has to do with the fact that i'm tinier now, but i used to be able to wear shorts/shirts/flip flops in cold weather, like under 40, and now i find myself shivering sometimes even waiting for the bus when it's only about 70. :(
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'm anemic and have low blood pressure etc etc. Might want to get checked out. I'm constantly cold.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It *might* be the weight loss...but please go have your thyroid checked. If you have Hypothyroid this could cause you to feel cold all the time--it could also be why it might be super easy to gain weight and harder to keep it off (if this is you). Here is a webMD slide show about it: http://women.webmd.com/ss/slideshow-thyroid-symptoms-and-solutions
    Have your doctor do a full hormone panel including a T3 and T4. (I'm not a doctor, but I and my mother both have this).
  • redbekah
    Options
    Yes that all sounds similar to me! I hope someone knows some way to fix it? Or minimise it atleast? Even if I wear more clothes i doesn't seem to help
  • redbekah
    Options
    i don't think it could be a thyroid problem as I've never had the problem until now? And I don't seem to be putting on weight...
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid tested, just in case, mine was negative. A big thing for me was how low my blood pressure is, and my doctor said I needed to constantly drink more to keep my blood volume higher. Also, I know that when you start lifting/building muscle, your body's metabolism speeds up, which could help keep you warmer as your body burns more energy. xx
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Oh, so you are, didn't look at your ticker there :)

Well, shy of looking at your nutrients and making sure that you're getting your fill of carbohydrates and keeping the old liver burning away I would say try the doctors.

You might just be getting used to a smaller fat layer of insulation though.

Hope you get it sorted :)
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Me too, I lost over 80 lbs with W W and I am always cold. The doctor told me I lost my insulation so that is why. If I eat or drink anything I get cold from the inside out. Which is a good thing because I can't eat ice cream unless it is really warm outside and then it cools me down nicely.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I too have felt cold since I lost some weight - my hands are like ice more often than not

I put it down to being less insulated - if you look at really big people they often seem to be sweating even when weather conditions are cold
  • gooseafur
    gooseafur Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm almost at a 50 lbs weight loss, and I have been cold for a few weeks now. I'm layering my clothes, lots of blankets, thick socks and slippers! hehehe... I was thinking it was part of the weight loss. I then read an article that said I might need to up my calorie intake, especially if I'm burn a lot of calories at the gym. I'm afraid to do that, I'm so close to hitting a big goal! I don't want the scale to go up. I have lost a significant amount of weight before and never had this problem...hmmmm???