Planet Fitness Routine Advise

Options
I just joined Planet Fitness 2 1/2 weeks ago, I am not seeing any results yet. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone give me an idea of what to do, how long to do it and what to use please. I need to loose weight, strengthen my knees to run a 5K in August. I am 250lb, 36 yr old female.

Currently I ride a sit down bike for 15-20 minutes, then the Elliptical or Stepper for 5-10 minutes, then use the inner-outer thigh machines, random arm machines, and the ab machines reps of 12-15, 2-3 times!

Suggestions please....

Replies

• fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say how often you work out? Also are you cutting calories as well? I work out three days a week and combine cardio with weight lifting but my efforts have been slow moving so I"m not the best person to answer.
  • nay33
    nay33 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would suggest meeting with one of the trainers in your hometown Planet Fitness to set up a workout plan just for you. When I started I was not seeing results either, but in February I met with one of my trainers and set a plan and have been following it everyday for since February and I am starting to see lots of results for combining cardio and strength workouts. Also make sure to eat well and stick to you daily calorie intake that MFP sets up for you. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • cupcakeprincess21
    Options
    I work out atleast 4 times a week, sometimes more!! Thanks for the advise!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    how many cals a a day are yyou eating? and do you eat back exercise calories? Also get a weight lifting routine for women in bodybuilding.com
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yes. please lift the heavy things in your gym. you'll get more out of it than your cardio (well for you strengthening your knee anyway).
    5km is really not that far. HIIT training would get you there no problems.
    For me, i HATE, long sow (and boring) cardio. I run a 5km run every year with my lil sister.
    I dont do anything really relating to the event, i just do my normal HIIT conditioning, then add sprints to the mix about a month out...
    and i run it easy...
    dont bore yourself with boring cardio, mix it up, learn about HIIT and lift heavy things!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Does your PF have the 30 minute workout circuit? If so, I would suggest that 2-3 times a week. I would also suggest the Couch to 5K training to build up for the 5K you want to run in August. I would do that training 2-3 times a week. Good luck!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The elliptical/bike/stair stepper isn't going to do a lot to train you to run. I think you should look into something like Couch to 5K if you're pretty new to running. Otherwise, just get on the treadmill or the road instead and get in some actual pavement pounding. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is all you really need to do a 5K (as a PP said). But unless you can already run a minimum of a mile on the road, not the elliptical, I'd not worry about that and stick with Couch 2 5K.

As far as the rest of your exercises, you're missing most of your body with that strength routine. Also, the machines tend to make things easier and don't give you near the benefit of using free weights. I would ditch the arm machines and do things like lunges and squats and shoulder presses.