Scared of first weigh in....

Options
I am coming up to my first weigh-in this week and I am scared. I have worked really hard all this week, six consecutive days of excercise and eating breakfast (big accomplishment since I have never eaten breakfast before) and I have really tried to watch my food and be concious of what I am eating and even why I am eating. The first few days were rocky, and I still have a lot to learn, but what if I haven't lost anything?? What if this whole week has just been for nothing? I guess I am just looking for others that can identify. Loving the support of everyone here, thanks

Replies

• tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can't give up if you haven't lost anything this week. It takes time for the body to adjust to change and if you've just started working out your body may cling to extra fluid. Remember, weight loss isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. I'm sure you'll do great!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You have had a first week eating better food, trying to learn new habits. You have been fighting your cravings and old ways. Even before you get on a scale you have started to win the battle.

I bet it took you longer than a week to put the extra on, it is going to take longer to take it back off.

You will get there, you have made all the right changes. So dont panic over the scales, your first week has already been a sucess!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Are you going to allow your self-inflicted paranoia get the best of you?

The more you stress (which is just not necessary), you encourage your body to create more cortisol - and that will hold back weight loss.

Its just a scale - its not even an accurate method of determining weight loss....

You have to learn how to become mentally healthier with this otherwise your weight loss efforts are just not going to be successful or at all.

Stop stressing.. its just weighing-in.... it wont hurt you.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Typically your first week, you should see a loss. Bite the bullet and weigh yourself, I think you will be very proud of yourself. If the number on the scale doesn't move start measuring yourself, and don't give up! This is a process, you will have weeks of loss and weeks of no loss.

Best of luck!
  • veganxfemme
    veganxfemme Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm usually like this before each weigh in! I try not to be fixated on the number on the scale if it doesn't move. Try measuring yourself, you could be losing inches and not weight!
  • graham29a
    graham29a Posts: 3
    Options
    You will be fine.........trust me its harder to step on the scales for the first time pre diet than it is to do it after a week of changing your habits! When I weighed in after deciding to go on MFP it was the first time I'd been on the scales for nearly two years :-(

Try not to get too hung up about the scales.....if you do the right things you will notice the difference without worrying about the scales......they will look after themselves! Small differences to look for are breathing, looser clothes and generally feeling more comfortable.

Good Luck
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You have already "won" this week, you're on your way to a new, healthy life change, that in itself is a huge first step! It does sometimes take a few weeks to show a loss on the scale, but don't let that stop you.....never, never NEVER give up!! Best wishes and keep us posted on your progress! :flowerforyou:
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a starting point, from which you can judge your progress from now on. Don't put too much stock in what the scale says, think about how your clothes fit and how you feel!
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You have had a first week eating better food, trying to learn new habits. You have been fighting your cravings and old ways. Even before you get on a scale you have started to win the battle.

I bet it took you longer than a week to put the extra on, it is going to take longer to take it back off.

You will get there, you have made all the right changes. So dont panic over the scales, your first week has already been a sucess!

/\/\/\/\ what he said :)

Also make sure to take measurements and pics each week as some ppl have not moved on the scale but have in their size.
  • thershey
    thershey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You will be fine.........trust me its harder to step on the scales for the first time pre diet than it is to do it after a week of changing your habits! When I weighed in after deciding to go on MFP it was the first time I'd been on the scales for nearly two years :-(

Try not to get too hung up about the scales.....if you do the right things you will notice the difference without worrying about the scales......they will look after themselves! Small differences to look for are breathing, looser clothes and generally feeling more comfortable.

Good Luck

Well said, the scale is not what is important. You are making a change for the better.
    I agree with everyone else start measuring, there have been several weeks where the scale has not moved but when I measure I am still losing inches.
    Again like someone else said this is a marathon not a sprint, sit back and enjoy the ride you will get there one day at a time!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why would did you start eating breakfast? Just curious.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Weigh ins scare me too. After working hard and staying on track, it's dissapointing to step on and not see a loss.
    I try and approach the weigh in with positive thinking, and try not to stress out about it too much. Everyday we are taking steps towards being healthier, stronger and more conscious of our choices.
    You will have a great weigh in :)

(as others noted take measurements and pictures. This is something I will have to work on as well!)
    L.
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have been working my butt off as well. However, the scale isnt really moving. But- my clothes fit better, I am getting healthier and eventually the scale will catch up with that! Even if you don't like what the scale says, you can't stop. You are just getting started!
  • Sweet_Pea_82
    Sweet_Pea_82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Why would did you start eating breakfast? Just curious.

Breakfast was never a big part of our day growing up.....and I'm not a big fan of breakfast foods in general. And, when I tried to make a point to eat breakfast, I got busy and then before I knew it, it was lunch time. That's why I am making a point to come in a little early to work and make myself breakfast. :happy:
  • Meggie1045
    Meggie1045 Posts: 20
    Options
    Eh, I've had weeks I worked my butt off and did everything right and didn't lose anything and then I had weeks where I had 1 or 2 bad days and I lost 3 lbs. It can be so frustrating. I just keep thinking ok if I just keep going by this time next year I'll be better than I was today. You're doing a great job I'm sure you have lost something. I'm just like you with breakfast I never ate breakfast before and now I eat breakfast every morning with a cup of green tea (which I never liked before) those small changes make some big differences! Good luck with your weigh in I wish you the best :)
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Trust that you're doing the right thing by paying attention to what your eat, working out, etc. How can all of that be for nothing?
    We have to be careful not to put all of our attention on a number. Read this post, for example:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

Also, it may take a while to start seeing results, just because the body might need time to adapt. Just be patient, keep up the good work and it will pay off!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's so much more than the scale though. I would recommend taking measurements of yourself since you seem to be at the beginning of your journey. It's encouraging to see the inches come off even when the scale doesn't move. Good luck!
  • BlackDhalia403
    Options
    what if I haven't lost anything?? What if this whole week has just been for nothing?

I lost like 6lbs from water weight my first week , and then I have stayed the same weight since , I gradually lose like 1.5-2lbs a week now . But just like the person above me said it's so much more than the scale . You're building lean muscle when you exercise , so you can drop 4 dress sizes and still weight the same . I go based off of what I look like when I see myself in the mirror . Good luck though !