Pants for Pears?

Options
I have a terrible time finding pants (or shorts) that fit me right. My hips/thighs are one or two sizes larger than my waist, and I'd love to find pants that I don't need to get taken in. Also, I strongly prefer pants that have pockets in the back because the more covering and camouflaging of all the jiggly lumps back there, the better.

If it matters, I'm a short woman (4'11), but hemming pants isn't such a big deal.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ah thats a very common problem ..
    I am so very irritated with this as well
    but I always have to wear belt in that case
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a clothing line for pears now?

I know Gap do jeans especially for pear shaped women, so do levis, apple bottoms do too
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Worthington curvy pants in Petite! or maybe even short! not sure which would work for you but they help me out tremendously even though I am a whole FOOT taller than you!
  • bom2010
    bom2010 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ann Taylor Loft has a "Julie" fit that works pretty well for me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My favorite are either Ann Taylor Loft Curvy jeans and Julie pants (ATL has a petite department), or Banana Republic does a nice job with their curvy too (however, BR does cut their thighs narrower than I'd like).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass, so similar issue. Look for midrise. They sit on the hips so you don't have to worry about fitting your waist, but they cover what you need to cover.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I have always had good luck at American Eagle
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I rarely go into the mall, but maybe it's time for a trip, especially now that I know more exactly what I'm looking for... Thanks to all!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    opt for low rise pants. I have the same issue and those have a shorter crotch and sit on your hips so they fit much better.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always look for jeans that have the extra V shaped bit of material at the back of the jeans above the bum as shown in the pic in this link...
    Gok Wan (my hero lol) says that this style is designed for the curvier bum and smaller hips/waist so it all fits snugly.

http://s10.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/21E18D4F.jpg
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass, so similar issue. Look for midrise. They sit on the hips so you don't have to worry about fitting your waist, but they cover what you need to cover.

I find that with mid-rise there is too much for a crotch and it gives a baggy crotch look... so not cool lol
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

A midrise or a lowrise waist may make a Pear look bigger, particularly if the body is short-waisted. Although they're not currently fashionable, higher waisted pants tend to look better on Pears.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ah, the joys of being a pear with a hip to waist ratio that doesn't work with what's on the clothing racks. I found a few solutions / ways around it, if you can find them.

- Buy pants that have a hidden draw string if you can find them. My second favorite pair of casual dress pants have a hidden string draw on the inside. If the draw string is inside the garment, it often reduces some of the "poof" in the back.

- See if you can find pants with buttons on the waist. Surprisingly enough, Sears of all places, had contemporary style pants (for work) that had these buttons on the waist. It allowed me to pull the fabric in without getting StayPuff Marshmallow butt (where the backs of the pants balloon out at the waist)

- Buy pants with longer zippers or hidden zippers on the side. These garments are going to be cut differently.

- Target and Old Navy both have released new lines of pants cut for "curvy" figures. The Target ones are reasonably priced too

- Try to get more comfy with lower waisted garments that still cover. Stuff that sits on the waist often has more "give" to allow you to get the garment above your hips/thighs.

And when you find a pair / cut that fits, pick up a second pair if you can. :)
  • rml_16
    Options

I find that with mid-rise there is too much for a crotch and it gives a baggy crotch look... so not cool lol

That must depend on body size because I don't have that problem. It sounds more like you're trying to wear your midrise as a lowrise. If they sit at the hip where they should, there would not be "too much crotch." Of course, if you have a very short torso, you may need the lowrise instead. Both would have the same effect, but lowrise on me would show the world my goods and I don't really want to do that. :-)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time finding pants (or shorts) that fit me right. My hips/thighs are one or two sizes larger than my waist, and I'd love to find pants that I don't need to get taken in. Also, I strongly prefer pants that have pockets in the back because the more covering and camouflaging of all the jiggly lumps back there, the better.

If it matters, I'm a short woman (4'11), but hemming pants isn't such a big deal.

Any suggestions?

Design details like pockets draw attention to an area. I would look for pants without pockets in the back unless you want the functionality of pockets. As for the lumps, you might want to wear pants in a more firm fabric and wear an undergarment that helps.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I'm inconsistent on mid rise. I like them, but I have to be careful because I don't like when I sit down and my crack hangs out. I do have to say, however, I have better luck with midrise than anything else.
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    When I was bigger, I would just buy jeans that fit my legs then get my mum to take them in at the hip - I have 30" hips and then a huge *kitten* so I'm pretty much guaranteed that any jeans that fit my much fatter legs will bag horribly at the hip. If you already alter your jeans at the hem, then the hip too shouldn't be too much different, right? :)

I still have this problem now - I'm 5'8" so I can't wear petite/children's clothes and can NEVER find jeans that fit my hips.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You don't say what size you are, but Lane Bryant makes jeans for that body type. I have the same problem. I also found at JC Penney a "curvy fit" jean made by St. John's Bay. They are much smaller in the waist than the booty. I prefer them over low rise jeans because I don't like my gut hanging over the top of my pants. The SJB jeans sit at the waist so it helps to disguise some of the muffin top.
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm inconsistent on mid rise. I like them, but I have to be careful because I don't like when I sit down and my crack hangs out. I do have to say, however, I have better luck with midrise than anything else.

I thankfully haven't had that issue. I would with a lowrise, for sure, though. Which is the main reason I don't get them.

I have yet to find a pair of at-the-waist jeans (even cut for "curvy" figures) that look good on me. They seem to be aimed more towards women with narrow hips and large rears than women with wide hips and flatter rears.