Knee Issues

Options
I am on day 7 of 30 Day Shred. My knees are killing me! They were fine until day 4 when they starting hurting a litte. Day 5 they really hurt and last night was almost unbearable. My question is...How can I tell if I am really doing damage to my knees versus just getting sore due to not being used to working out ? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how often are you doing JM?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I am on day 7 of 30 Day Shred. My knees are killing me! They were fine until day 4 when they starting hurting a litte. Day 5 they really hurt and last night was almost unbearable. My question is...How can I tell if I am really doing damage to my knees versus just getting sore due to not being used to working out ? Any help would be appreciated.

I think you should take care. Muscles are sore the day after exercise. Joints generally aren't. I would try to modify the exercise for the time being to reduce stress on your knees. Exercise on a carpet, wear cushioned shoes. Ice your knees after activity (Google to see how.)

See an orthopedist.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You don't get delayed onset muscle soreness in your knee. Pretty much any pain there is cause for concern.

Do not F***k with your knees.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are you doing these workouts on consecutive days? It's called 30 Day Shred, but that doesn't mean it needs to be completed in 30 days. Try putting a rest day (or cardio day, or whatever you want to do that's not high impact) between the days you do JM. It may help give your knees a break.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

If the pain is inside the knee - remember that there are very few muscles there to get sore and a lot of cartilage and cushion that can get damaged. In other words, you can tell if you're doing damage to your knee **when your knee hurts**.

Stop doing things that make your knees hurt immediately. If the pain is increasing, you're increasing the damage. Stop now. Give your knees a few days to heal, doing workouts that focus on the upper body instead. Then restart your workout after adjusting your workspace to accommodate your knees (better shoes that provide more cushion and better support, etc).
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I modified the workouts because I do not have the best knees. I did not dip deeply or step way back on lunges. I didn't even do jumping jacks until the final 10 days or so. Be gentle on your knees and modify the steps as needed so you don't injure yourself.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how often are you doing JM?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You don't get delayed onset muscle soreness in your knee. Pretty much any pain there is cause for concern.

Do not F***k with your knees.

This. You have lots of muscles in your body to get sore, but joints are basically bone, ligaments, and tendons (with some other stuff mixed in like cartilage). Mind you I'm no doctor or physiologist, but if you have no prior history of knee issues the issue to me would be either 1) form or 2) weak structure especially stabilizer muscles surrounding the joint. I personally would recommend taking some time to consider the first one, and if that not the issue stop doing the program and do something else including lifting weights with proper form to correct the second issue. I have terrible knees and if I do more than 3 days without doing some sort of lifting program I can barely get out of bed. If you’re looking to do some aerobic based lifting, BodyPump is a great program. If you’re looking to hit the weight room New Rules Of Lifting For Women is a good program to look into.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,575 Member
    Options
    Progressive pain during each new outing means that you're definitely doing a number on the tendons and ligaments of your knee. STOP NOW. You need to be assessed on how you're exercising by a pro or else this will be a continual problem. Good to see that you want to exercise, but you have to do it right to avoid injury and make it effective.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Linzybelle
    Linzybelle Posts: 11
    Options
    I am currently at 244. I have pretty new shoes (bought in the last two months worn daily) and exercise on carpet which is over concrete. For the last two days I have tried to modify by doing the butt kicks insted of jumping jacks and jumping rope. The lunges don't bother me it is mainly the impact. I have been trying to do it daily, but did miss a couple day in between day 4 and 5 and one day in between 5 and 6. I really want results but do NOT want to damage my knees. I guess I will just look for a different cardio to do while she has the jumping sets. Thanks for the help. I am fairly new to any exercise other than walking so I am not 100% sure what is normal.
  • Linzybelle
    Linzybelle Posts: 11
    Options
    I missed some of the comments when I read through the first time. I was drawn to 30DS because you don't need a lot of equipment, it is fast (as in less than 30 min per day) and it is known to get results. I would like the weight to come off as fast as safely possible but I have no time to work out or go to a gym. I am currently doing it at around 9 pm after the kids are in bed.

ninerbuff - Thanks for the advice. I have a gym membership for another couple of months which gives me access to a personal trainer. Maybe it is time to schedule a session.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

If the pain is inside the knee - remember that there are very few muscles there to get sore and a lot of cartilage and cushion that can get damaged. In other words, you can tell if you're doing damage to your knee **when your knee hurts**.

Stop doing things that make your knees hurt immediately. If the pain is increasing, you're increasing the damage. Stop now. Give your knees a few days to heal, doing workouts that focus on the upper body instead. Then restart your workout after adjusting your workspace to accommodate your knees (better shoes that provide more cushion and better support, etc).

^^This!! Take breaks! Try using a knee brace. Icy Hot...or some other mentholated pain analgesic will work wonders!! Don't let this stop you from staying on the wagon...just figure out another way to ride it! ;)
  • Raqfox
    Raqfox Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah make sure you are on correct form. I did a back to back, level 1 and then level 2, and the next day my knees were killing. I took a few days off where I did nothing, to try and recover.
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have done 2 rounds of 30 DS and I still have to look down at my knees to be sure they are not over the end of my feet... be sure to check yours as you squat/lunge... any motion like that make sure your toes are always out further than your knees... Jillian even does an "exaggerated" example of it on one of the levels... be careful :)
  • mcg6242
    mcg6242 Posts: 84
    Options
    I had almost the same problem when I was doing "Insanity" I went my doctor and he recommended that I give it a break for about a month and try something else. I did my stationary bike, running (which surprisingly does not bother my knee) and bought Gold’s Gym dace party workout for the WII and also went and got a small knee brace to wear while I work out. It’s been about three months now and i have not even bothered with going back to the Insanity, because I really enjoy what I am doing now and I do not almost no knee pain at all anymore.