Emotional Eating

Those of you who consider yourselves emotional eaters, what did you do to overcome it?

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Distractions are key...I will leave the house if tempted and go or a walk or do some light shopping.
  • jmchambers5
    jmchambers5 Posts: 16
    I could use some help with this, too. Logging my diet publicly on this website has helped immensely, as I don't want all my friends on here to see that I downed an entire package of cookie dough or something of the sort.
  • ocean26
    ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
    Over the past 4 months or so I've gained back 40 pounds just from emotional eating at night and so on. It didn't take me until I got back to my starting weight what I had actually done to my body. If you take your emotions out on eating, I guarantee you you will feel really bad about it later. You have to figure out what it is you really want, temporary comfort, or long time happiness. Everyone has a different point at which they realize it. The best of luck to fighting it off. Every time you go to food for comfort, first think about how exactly that food is going to make you feel any better- no explanation- no reason to eat it
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    I wouldn't say I have overcome yet, but I have improved. For me it's tracking, finding other things, and tracking. Although I might eat, if I track it, sometimes I start to emotionally eat just a bit better or realize what I am doing and try to curb the habit or work through the emotions so I won't end up +1,000 calories.

I still eat based upon emotions, but I don't eat so unhealthly as much.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    I don't know why it helped, but finding out that there is a German word for it: kummerspeck.

Literally, grief bacon. The weight gained due to emotional overeating.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kummerspeck