Does eating more really work?

Options

Replies

• Lucylikesrunning
    Options
    I'm hoping it works! I'm netting 1600 and eating back exercise calories. I'm 5'7" and want to get to 128lb. So I'm kind of eating at my goal weights maintenance level. I feel healthy and am not hungry :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    When people say they are eating more, do they mean gross or net? And in terms of people saying do not eat less than your BMR...is that gross or net?

Net. Always net.
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I need to get snacking then!!!

Still can't believe, I'm sure I will end up eating more than I did before I started trying to lose some weight!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Log everything.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It works for me!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    When people say they are eating more, do they mean gross or net? And in terms of people saying do not eat less than your BMR...is that gross or net?

For me, it's gross/total calories. I completely ignore net calories (shock/horror)--sorry :wink: I don't know my BMR and I don't really care. I just eat 6-7 times a day, average about 2000 total cals, and workout a lot (lifting and cardio). I like to keep it simple....and it's working like a charm for me. I also have a "cheat/splurge/refeed/whatever" day every few weeks where I eat 3000-3500 cals. I don't want my metabolism to adjust to surviving on 1200 cals...I want to have a supercharged metabolism that can get me to my goals while I EAT! It's totally possible.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I really really wanted it to work for me, I upped from 1200 to 1500 fine, then upped again to 1750 and no change inches or otherwise infact the last 3 weeks have shown a consistent gain of 4lbs... This has been for 8 weeks.... Harumph :grumble:

Having said that i have no idea of my TDEE so will have to investigate that and am now wearing a fitbit so should be able to consistently track what I need..... :embarassed:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    if i was you i'd eat at least 1600-1700 calories a day, if not more like 1700-1800 calories minimum, you're eating way too low for the calories you're burning.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm 32, 5'11" and 175 lb with a goal weight probably around 165...but honestly I care more about being strong, fit and fitting into a size 8 than I do about the scale. My TDEE is around 2600 and BMR around 1600. I workout 6 days a week including heavy lifting, HIIT cardio, and pilates.

I was eating about 1700 calories a day for about a month and had zero loss. Then I tried the 'eating back calories' which meant eating at maintenance around 2500/2600 calories and had no loss. Then I started eating 2200 calories (more than BMR, less than TDEE) and I am consistently losing weight at ~0.5-1 lb per week for the last 3 weeks. The biggest thing I noticed is that I am NEVER hungry.

Experiment and find what works for you. Good luck!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Worked for me.

I'm 36, 5'4". My net calorie goal is 1,650 per day. I strength train and ride my bike 3-4 days a week.

This was my question....do you aim for a NET calorie goal of 1650, or is you calorie intake set at 1650 and on top of that, you eat back calories burned?

Right now my daily goal is 1440, and I'm eating back most of my calories burned.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would say yes! I hit a three month stall while working out 4-5 days a week & on a 1200 calorie diet. On April 1st I decided I need to change it up, so I researched info on my BMR & TDEE. I lost 12.8pounds last month. My profile pic show the results. I lost huge in my belly region!

I'm consuming about 1600+ calories a day, working out 5-6 days a week & eating clean during the week. I'm doing the south beach diet, which has lowered my carb intake to around 60-75g per day and raised my protien to about 125-150g. I do "cheat" on the weekends and eat a LOT of carbs, but haven't had any addtional weight gain.

So in short, I believe that eating more will help you lose weight. Plus with the stats you gave you certainly should be consuming way more than 1200 calories. Don't worry about it seeming like too much, I thought the same at first. However, after doing research I found foods that fit into my diet that gave me the calories and nutrition I needed.

Feel free to check out my diary & good luck!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in my first 2 weeks. People kept messaging me saying I wasnt eating enough and talking to me about BMR and all that. So I upped my calories a little bit and did not lose any weight at all. I actually gained weight and felt bloated and like I was eating too much. I am back down this week to what I was before I gained those couple of pounds. I think everyones body is different. What works for one person may work for someone else but I guarantee you it isnt going to work for everyone. It is kinda like weight loss pills and such, some things work for different people. I also hear a lot of people talk about how carbs are bad and how they make you fat. I personally have tired Atkins. I lost weight but was super weak because my blood sugar kept dropping drastically low, also I was hungry all the time. Do what works for you.
  • Lorilea123
    Lorilea123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and started a diet and exercise program in January. I've lost 19 pounds and exercise 5-6 times per week (40-50 minutes cardio and strength). I weigh 136 and would like to lose 6 more pounds. I currently eat 1300 calories a day and have stalled out in losing any more. I calculated my TDEE (2003) and BMR (1292), but don't really understand the concept. I eat lots of fruit, vegetables and lean meat (I'm a protein type) and little to no processed sugar. I'm honestly skeptical about adding more calories - please help! Does it work?
  • jayenomics
    jayenomics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 3600 calories a day (I'm 6'1 242 pounds, 26 years old) I am in no way going to eat 2500+ calories, but I'm thinking more in the 1800 range...
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been eating much more than before (but maintain a healthy balance and don't eat any white stuff if I can avoid it), and I eat back all my exercise calories. I've been losing weight steadily for the past 6 weeks! It's almost too good to be true! I'm sure my loss will slow down some in the near future, but then I will make another adjustment e.g. increase strength work to build lean muscle (up until now I've really been struggling adding strength exercises to my cardio exercises), but in time I will also be able to do that!

So, in my case, it works to eat more! For the moment! To the OP, it's a bit short notice to fix things by Friday, but I hope that you find a healthy balance that works for you in future.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    every time my calories start to dip, I plateau. I kick them back up and I start losing again.
    I think the system overestimates my calorie burn, and I don't have an HRM yet, so I only eat back about half of the exercise calories.
  • alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm 5"4 & as of last weigh in am 184lbs.

My TDEE is 1977 & my BMR is 1647.

I have my net calories set at 1200 - I try and use this as more of a guideline than a strict regime. I was a bit silly when I first joined here; only netting at around 800-900 calories a day.. Obviously I found that I was pretty lethargic & constantly hungry.

I started to make sure I eat at least the 1200 or there abouts.. I've been constantly losing 2lbs a week since Feb. I know a lot of people will say the whole 1200 isn't enough..etc etc. But I honestly feel full following this plan. & days that I want to eat more I do. Also at the weekends I eat around 2000 with no exercise; so my body doesn't get used to a certain way of eating..

On days I do exercise I gross 2000 calories & net between 1200 & 1400.

Obviously if I stop seeing results with what I'm doing now; then I will up the calories to around 1600 and try that. Like another poster said each persons daily calorie needs are different & what might work for some won't work for others.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I am 24 year old female, 156lbs and 5'10". For the past 3 weeks I have been working out 6 days a week at high intensity (inc. lots of resistance training) for 40-60 mins each time. I was eating roughly 1200-1400 calories and not losing any weight, although I have toned up a bit. Reading these boards everyone has been talking about BMR and TDEE. I worked out that my BMR is approx 1500 and my TDEE is approx 2300. I then took away 20% from my TDEE which gives me 1900 calories.

Yesterday and today I have eaten about 1650 calories...it feels like so much!! Does eating more really work?? I am panicking as I have a dress to fit into this weekend and can't afford to gain any weight - in fact I could really do with losing a few lbs! Someone please put my mind at rest!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this now and so far I have gained a couple lbs and now I'm stalled, not losing anymore despite working out 5-6 days a week, which is very discouraging. I am very skeptical of it because I do not believe there is a one size fits all to the minimum amount of calories a person needs. If I don't lose any weight after doing this after 2 weeks, I'm going back down to 1200.