Foods that trigger migraines?

Options
think48
think48 Posts: 366 Member
I am a victim of migraines, at least once or twice a month - they are serious migraines where I can't move, lay, walk, talk, light hurts, dark hurts, can't take noise but silence is deafening, and a lot of times I throw up. Lots of people *think* they get migraines, but I'm just letting you know, I get the real thing.

I need some hints on which foods might be triggering them?? I am not noticing anything significant in my eating patterns so I'm trying to figure out if it is preservatives or additives or something. I know MSG and soy are biggies in this area.

What are some others for me to investigate?

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine are triggered by blue cheese, red dyed hotdogs, and red wine.
  • think48
    Options
    Mine are triggered by blue cheese, red dyed hotdogs, and red wine.

Ooh.... Blue cheese. I do eat strong cheeses. Do you know why that triggers it?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Popular food triggers are caffeine, cheese and other fermented foods (like soy), alcohol especially red wine, some additives and cold foods.

But more often than not they're caused by not enough food. I get ocular migraines in the flickering light at work. but always just before lunch when my tummy's rumbling. More snackage!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Common triggers include red wine and chocolate. :grumble:

I cut out all artificial sweeteners - including HFCS - so my soda comsumption plummeted, which helped both with migraines and weight. :happy:

Some people are triggered by fluorescent lights; if that is a factor for you, changing the lighting in your work area should be considered a "reasonable accommodation".

My headache diary showed TOM to be a trigger, so my physician put me on continuous OC's.

Good luck!!
  • fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners, chocolate, aged cheeses, avacados (of all things!)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    My migraines are triggered by certain pizza places' pizza sauce. Pizza Experts is one. They have something missing from the sauce, oregano I think, whatever it is I can tell from one bite. I don't have a problem with other chain restaurants. A friend says his migraines are when he eats pecans, though it was when he ate a slice of pecan pie which has a ton of sweetness. My husband can get migraines from bright sunlight reflecting on metal counters/windows at work.
  • think48
    Options
    Popular food triggers are caffeine, cheese and other fermented foods (like soy), alcohol especially red wine, some additives and cold foods.

But more often than not they're caused by not enough food. I get ocular migraines in the flickering light at work. but always just before lunch when my tummy's rumbling. More snackage!

Haha, I DEFINITELY get enough snacks. :laugh:
    I am going to have to look into the cheese thing though. *scratches head*
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend used to get disabling migraines like the one's you mentioned. Once she started watching her sugar intake they went away almost completely. Now instead of once or twice a week she maybe gets one every 2 months.
  • think48
    Options
    Common triggers include red wine and chocolate. :grumble:

I cut out all artificial sweeteners - including HFCS - so my soda comsumption plummeted, which helped both with migraines and weight. :happy:

Some people are triggered by fluorescent lights; if that is a factor for you, changing the lighting in your work area should be considered a "reasonable accommodation".

My headache diary showed TOM to be a trigger, so my physician put me on continuous OC's.

Good luck!!

Mine is always worse during TOM also, so I guess I'm wondering if it may be a food combined with my hormones. What are OC's?
  • think48
    Options
    My girlfriend used to get disabling migraines like the one's you mentioned. Once she started watching her sugar intake they went away almost completely. Now instead of once or twice a week she maybe gets one every 2 months.

I do love sugar. I don't eat a large amount of it, but I do eat some. I'll watch that and see. Thanks!
  • courtxoney
    courtxoney Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    migraine's are the worst, and of course they run in my family (several family members take medication for them)

i havent really noticed any particular type of food that triggers it, except for chocolate - if i eat too much.

certain smells will give me a migraine too.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I used to have horrible migraines too; I couldn't even get out of bed, they lasted 32-36 hours, and I was getting them several times a week (ended up having to withdraw from college for a bit because I couldn't go to class). My neurologist eventually put me on nitrate-restricted diet and it worked wonders. Basically everything I was eating was on the list of nitrate-packed foods! I'll try to find a the full list for you, but I remember having to cut out all frozen meals (Stouffer's, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc., which were a huge portion of my diet), wine, and cheese.

Edit: Just found this piece on the role of diet in migraine by a pediatric neurologist; it seems to include what I mentioned and a lot of other factors, so maybe you'll find something that looks like it might be relevant for you. http://superiorsites3.com/NNS02DietMigraineHeadaches.htm
  • scrivs13
    scrivs13 Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel your pain! It used to bug me so much when people would tell me they had a "migraine" and then work the rest of the day or continue on their merry way. For 5 years, I got migraines so bad, I was convinced I was having strokes. I would lose the use of my hands, couldn't form sentences or thoughts that made sense, and once I completely forgot my fiance's name. Then the pain and vomiting would come, and I would be in bed for an entire day.

Doctors kept suggesting I cut out coffee, wine, chocolate, bread - basically everything, and nothing worked. Finally I saw a neurologist (one of many) who suggested I stop taking birth control. I listened, and now I've gone 5 months without one of these nightmares.

Your trigger may still be food, but if birth control is something that no one suggested or you haven't considered, I would look into it. Best of luck. <3
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hormonal migraines and hormonal anxiety in 2004 - actually put me in the hospital for three days. Twice a month I would get migraines and feel like my heart would pound out of my chest. I take magnesium and calcium which has helped tremendously and when I feel the migraine, I take maxalt mlt. The stuff is awesome! The only thing I knew that would trigger it or make it worse was diet coke. I don't drink it anymore and I try to stay away from any artificial sweeteners.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I think triggers are slightly different for every one, depending on what they are most sensitive too. The Dr recomended I keep a food journal and track what I ate as well as when the migraine hit. This way we could evaluate what might be my triggers.
    I get hormonal ones, but I am also affected by certain cheeses (older strong type cheeses), too much caffeine, chocolate (some, not all.....i could eat milk chocolate by the truckfull i think lol), Red wine, Grape juice(purple not white) and cooked blueberries (fresh are not a problem...odd i think).
    Certain scents affect me as well.
    L.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    1. Being dehydrated is a huge one for me.( my dr said this is a big one for most people)
    2. Not eating often enough.
    3. Wine (I don't drink it at all, dont like it!)
    4. Hormones
    5. Cheese
    6. Certain Fast Foods
    7. Birth Control
    8. Too much caffeine or not enough caffeine
    9. Alcohol or cigarette smoke
    10. Too much sun/heat
    I’ve found that since I’ve been exercising and eating better, I’m getting fewer migraines.
  • kittycraft
    kittycraft Posts: 17
    Options
    Mine seem to be from sugar, caffeine, and seafood (even just the smell gives me migraines). I have a lot of smell-based triggers, I think.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's reassuring to see so many others with smell triggers! People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them this is a problem for me. There seems to be what I call a "base" scent in some perfumes and body washes that just kills me! I also have hormone-triggered migraines, but I can't take birth control, so my doctor put me on Elavil. It has definitely helped.

I also saw on another topic someone who shares one of my food triggers: bananas! The real thing, not artificial. Also on the list: orange soda and more than half a glass of red wine
  • cutshallest04
    cutshallest04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went through a spell where I was getting migraines at least 2 x's a week. So I was basically out of commission for 4 days - 1 with the migraine and the next day recovering. I had the same thing, sensitivity to light, dark, noise, quiet, smells, there was vomiting and dizziness involved. Anyway, I still get them, but only about one a month now. Mine pretty much went away when I had my daughter, so we're assuming they were hormone related. But I can tell you that there are 2 definite triggers for me now - pepperoni and too much artificial sweetner. I know these 2 items will assure me a viscious migraine. I tend to only use artificial sweetner occassionally now - which sucks when your dieting. And I stay clear of pepperoni altogether. Good luck finding your triggers. They seem to be different for everyone.
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me it was aspartame. Life is a lot better once I figured that out, I hope you find the trigger!