Bicycle recommendations?

Options
I'm in the market to purchase a bicycle and I'm looking for recommendations. Keep in mind that I need a "fat bottom" seat and I don't want to spend more than $200. Keep in mind, I'm not planning on competing or anything, so I don't need anything super-duper, just looking to get OUTSIDE for some exercise!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Buy a gently used hybrid or 'fitness' bike from a major brand (Trek, specialized - in other words bike store brands, NOT department store brands) with a steel or aluminum frame.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For what you want you need a hybrid. It'll look pretty much like a mountain bike but have smooth, higher preassure, but still wide tires. Or I suppose a beach cruiser could be fun. My commuter bike is a Trek hybrid, but you'd have to find a used one for that price point. The suspension seat is a nice bonus.

You may get hooked on riding and decide you want a road bike later for longer rides. A lot of people move on to doing charity rides of 100 miles and you'd want a more efficient bike with more hand positions.
  • LivingHealthyLovingLife
    Options
    I too have been researching buying a bike and have found that you just cant get a quality (comfortable) bike for less than $400.00 I know that seems like a lot of money but the ones they sell in the non-bike stores are of very cheep quality and are not comfortable at all which in the end is going to discourage you from riding. My suggestion is start saving to buy a good bike and then find a bike shop near you. they will do the proper measurements so that the bike you purchase will be right for you.
    Good luck!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    yeah save up unless you can find a decent used you're gonna want something like an above poster put at least 400 bucks ......... big box store bikes are junk .... try a local bike shop look for specialized, trek, cannondale, giant etc.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I looked online found something I liked based on recommendations... then I searched on ebay and purchased a 2nd hand bike for £30.

Can I just say that I forgot how hard cycling actually can be, and i'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things with my bike!!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I bought a multispeed cruiser at Wal-mart for less than $200 and it's just fine. I also have a crazy expensive Trek mountain bike which is badass, but it hurts my tush too much.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    My sister had a Trek street bike that ran about $400 and it was so nice. If you can find a used one in your price range I recommend that.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Craigslist is your friend... if you live in the US.... I've been looking for one for about 6 months haven't found it yet but I'm sure I will succeed
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek Navigator that I love. It was more than your budget, but a similar hybrid bike would be a great option for versatility. I replaced the seat with the Bontrager Boulevard seat. It's very comfy for a larger bum.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For $200 you can get a "big box store" bike that will probably last you a couple of years before it starts falling apart or a used commuter or hybrid bike.

The most important thing (other than it being in good shape mechanically) is that it fits you properly. The saddle can always be changed, and they're not expensive, so don't let that deter you from buying an otherwise good bike.

FWIW my first commuter bike was a Marin Larkspur which runs a little over $400. I put a ton of miles on mine & my daughter is still riding it; decent components and well made.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    to get a good bike, with the necessary accessories, you will be spending closer to $400, especially new.

i'd recommend going to a local bike shop, just to get sized up and make sure that you know what is the right sized bike for you. then you can go to target/walmart/sports authority and get your bike at a cheaper price, and just buy all the accessories at the bike shop.

the main advantage of buying at a local bike shop is the maintenance and warranty. at a LBS they will be able to more quickly help you with a repair or an exchange, while at a bib box store, you have to go through hoops to get a repair or exchange done.

i got my bike tuned at my LBS for $70, and they just replaced the broken axle for free.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Some day I'd like to get a bike...thanks for the suggestions.
  • hugthefish
    hugthefish Posts: 33
    Options
    My parents just got me this bike for my birthday a month or so ago : http://spoke-n-sport.com/product/giant-womens-sedona-st-131312-1.htm

I am seriously addicted to it. I take every opportunity to ride it possible (even the 30 second ride to class across a parking lot). A friend and I even entered the Tour de Cure for Diabetes in July. (We're doing the 25 mile race and I'm super excited)

The seat is pretty large and seriously comfortable and the handle bars are higher than the seat so you don't have to hunch forward when you ride. It has a water bottle cage on the handle bars instead of on the lower frame so it's easier to access. It is absolutely perfect (except for the fact that it isn't purple!) It sounds like what you are looking for, though a little out of your price ranger, but totally worth every penny.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    In my town we have some bike shops that will sell used bikes, so check your local bike shop if they know if a shop that will seel used bikes.

Hybrid is the place to start for what you are looking for. Make sure you do with a good brand like Trek or Cannondale. They have great warrenties on their bikes, if they get damanaged.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    In my town we have some bike shops that will sell used bikes, so check your local bike shop if they know if a shop that will seel used bikes.

Hybrid is the place to start for what you are looking for. Make sure you do with a good brand like Trek or Cannondale. They have great warrenties on their bikes, if they get damanaged.

Definitely good suggestions here.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Check out craigs list. I wish you lived a bit closer. I have 2 Trek hybrids I don't use anymore.
  • mswn02
    mswn02 Posts: 38
    Options
    I definitely recommend a hybrid. I've been outdoor biking for two years now, and I bought my first bike at a yard sale. I "outgrew" it rather fast, and upgraded to a Schwinn hybrid I bought from Target. I made sure it had top notch components (e.g., shimano derailer) so it doesn't fall apart on me. I can bike ~30 miles in one ride with no problem. I live near a trail that is mixed between paved areas and screened gravel and it is perfect for that. I am just now ready to invest in and upgrade to a road bike (e.g., Trek or Novara). By the way, I HIGHLY recommend you get connected to your local REI. They have all types of "biking 101" classes that are free and open to the public. Even if you use the bike for basic commuting or exercise, there are still things you need to know.
  • mswn02
    mswn02 Posts: 38
    Options
    One more thing ... if you live near a major university, you should call to ask if they hold bike auctions. I live near a university that collects all the bikes the students leave behind at the end of the school year and holds an auction. Bikes starting at only $5!!
  • amillee
    amillee Posts: 20
    Options
    Check out craigs list. I wish you lived a bit closer. I have 2 Trek hybrids I don't use anymore.

Is that anywhere near Atlanta??? I'm going to be going there next week.
  • amillee
    amillee Posts: 20
    Options
    One more thing ... if you live near a major university, you should call to ask if they hold bike auctions. I live near a university that collects all the bikes the students leave behind at the end of the school year and holds an auction. Bikes starting at only $5!!

Thanks for all your GREAT advice... and I live near a few Universities! I'll be calling tomorrow.