Shin Splints

Options
How can I avoid this? I have to always stop after 10 minutes on the treadmill.......... ANNOYING

Replies

• BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    Some people say you will get used to it. You have to take a few days off to let it heel, then try it again. I tried all these things but none worked for me. Then I had to get a new pair of shoes and it was gone just like that. Everyone is different but this is what worked for me.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    How can I avoid this? I have to always stop after 10 minutes on the treadmill.......... ANNOYING

Honestly, IT WILL GO AWAY.
  • Ddkrause
    Ddkrause Posts: 15
    Options
    I have suffered with them for my whole life. Just walking fast would make them ache. I got new shoes, Brooks, and heel cups. I also slow down or stop when they start hurting and then start again. Potassium is supposed to help and google every calf stretch you can find and do them, both before and after you walk, jog or run. Ice them down of they get too bad or even wrapping your calves might help. There are soooo many goole tips out there, so many things to try. I have been soing the couch to 5k and can now jog for 15 minutes, that is a huge milestone for me!!!! Good luck!!!
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

(1) Make sure you have decent shoes. Lack of support = shin splints
    (2) Ease into running if you aren't a runner already. Start with a walk/run combo. In general, running is a very high impact exercise, especially on a treadmill or on cement
    (3) Alternate running with low impact activities like biking or the eliptical.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes.

Ease into it. Work your way up slowly (C25K seems a good approach).

Stretch!

Ice the area.

Alternate high impact and low impact cardio.