Milk: Cow vs. Soy vs. Almond

Options
What are the benefits of drinking one versus the other?

I've noticed that almond milk has less calories than either soy or regular milk, and for that reason I am tempted to purchase it. On the other hand, I wonder if almond milk lacks some nutrients that I can only get from cow's milk...?

I am not a vegan/vegetarian and I really don't want this to turn into that kind of debate, just want some brief info if one or the other is better, or if they're about the same...

Replies

• miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking almond milk, I just like the taste soo much better :) I know I'm not much help. lol
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I buy all three. LMAO
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in my cereal and protein shakes.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I go with just Almond nowadays. Soy isn't particularly recommended for men and regular milk was giving me stomach problems (mild lactose intolerance I think). Almond is all round win for me. I go with the Silk brand because it doesn't have any Carageenan in it.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think that almond milk has comparable nutrition considering milk was and is never a primary source of any nutrition for me. It's more like a vehicle for things like protein powder. I really like the idea of cutting most dairy out of my diet and almond milk really does taste delicious so I've been happy with that switch.

I won't touch soy anything with a 33 1/2 foot pole.
  • cbascomb83
    cbascomb83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has less calories, less carbs, twice as much calcium, less protein and a little more sodium. With that said I love my almond milk!!!
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk Vanilla Lite Soy milk. I love the taste, and I use it in my protein shakes. I can eat cereal again too! I have heard (no I don't have time to hit up Google Scholar :D ) that some women with a certain history of breast cancer should watch their soy intake (something about phytoestrogen increasing estrogen-uptake cancer risks). I can't imgaine a half-cup of soy milk pushing someone over the "safe" limit unless they were also drinking soy protein shakes, eating a pound of tofu and snakcing on edamame.

I haven't noticed any unpleasant side effects of drinking the soy milk. I have noticed that I feel better now that I am not subjecting myself to low grade lactose intolerance everyday.
  • FitnessDivaK
    FitnessDivaK Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really don't drink milk very often anyway...at least not by itself - As Liddybit said, I generally use it as a "vehicle" for protein shakes and if I'm baking something :-)

I think I'll stick with almond for a while and cut the cals :-)
  • thepinkmoon87
    thepinkmoon87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk should be taken out of our diet completely, our bodies were not ever meant to have it! I can't remember everything by detail but here's a good article that I follow that helped me when I had the same question http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/blog/2011/12/06/common-diet-advice-thats-actually-bad-for-you/. You should check out the rest of her blog (Kimberly Snyder). Her book is good too.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is great because there is barely any sugar. Soy is great because 1, its delicious, and 2, it has more protein than almond. I have never been a big fan of regular milk. I dont dislike it on principle, I just prefer the other two.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I can't get over how many people say almond milk is "delicious". I'll use it in a protein shake but there's no way I could drink it straight cuz I think it tastes nasty. OTOH, I've only ever had the Blue Diamond vanilla almond millk, the kind that doesn't have to be refrgerated until opened. Am I missing something?
  • PugsMagoo
    PugsMagoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've switched to unsweetened almond milk...Silk has more calcium than milk, and less stomach problems for this old girl :)
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think it will vary from person to person as to what's best. My doctor advised that I stick with cow's milk because I have hypothyroidism. Though the medicine helps, for me, foods that affect the thyroid can trigger symptoms. Unfortunately, soy and almonds can both limit the thyroid's function, so I have to stay away from products that use them (more unfortunate for almonds as I love almonds).
  • auuudriana
    auuudriana Posts: 18
    Options
    I just started drinking soy (the Silk Light kind) and I will never go back. It's fewer calories, and tastes soooo much better than dairy milk. I like the nutty flavor.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like soy, because it's less sugar and more protein than the almond milk that I've found.
  • jcohio85
    jcohio85 Posts: 43
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of the almond milk so I get the vanilla soy lite. It seems to be the best for me.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    We are a unsweetened vanilla almond milk family.......Silk brand. Soy isn't an option since more than half the family is VERY allergic to soy. I don't drink it straight, but use it in everything. My kids drink it straight and don't mind it. They love when I buy the chocolate almond milk as a treat.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Tried almond and soy milk and didn't like it. Of course, I grew up milking a cow and bringing the milk into the house to use for breakfast. I love cows milk and find ways to work it into my diet.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I can't get over how many people say almond milk is "delicious". I'll use it in a protein shake but there's no way I could drink it straight cuz I think it tastes nasty. OTOH, I've only ever had the Blue Diamond vanilla almond millk, the kind that doesn't have to be refrgerated until opened. Am I missing something?

Try the refrigerated Silk brand milk. I think it tastes so much better......
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I go for the unsweetened almond milk its only 35 to 40 calories a cup depending on which brand you buy...