When I try - I do worse

Options
When I try to eat healthier/exercise I seem to do worse...am I the only one? Last year I lost about 25 pounds (being part a weight loss group that held me accountable) and I am quickly putting them back on this year. I start out the day thinking "its going to be a great/healthy day" - Then I think "well if I am going to eat healthy I need to get the unhealthy snacks out of the house so I may as well eat them!" then I dig myself in a hole and I think "well, maybe tomorrow will be better" My husband works out daily and has so much will power and I do not. I want it (in my head), but I lack the motivation to do the work to get there. I am not completely lazy...I have two small children that keep me busy and I do a little (exercising) here and there but it is not consistent. I want to be one of those people that are addicted to eating healthy and working out! Any suggestions?

Replies

• riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i would suggest that you give the bad food away - i read once "you are not a garbage disposal, dont treat yourself like one"
    once i start eating unhealthy foods its all a slippery slope from there. for example...last friday i got ice cream. and now i have had it 3 out of 4 of the last nights! and its not even house staring at me!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I remember that cycle, Friday I told myself on Monday would start to get healthy. Blowout the weekend and come Monday would start and fizzle out by the end of the week. For me what worked was making small changes daily, weekly, monthly. Setting goals and holding myself accountable for whatever reason (for me it was my kids). You have to figure out what your motivation is and stick with it and if this is a diet or a lifestyle change. Good luck!
  • AlisonrCorigliano
    AlisonrCorigliano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way! I think what has always worked for me in the past is to not put too much pressure on myself. I still track what I eat and try to exercise when I can. I have a one year old and he keeps me really busy. I give myself credit for yard work, laundry and running after him. Afterall, it's movement. I know it's not a true workout, but it's better than sitting on the sofa with a bag of chips.

I still haven't found a reason why I fail when I put too much thought in to it, but I'll take whatever I can get. If I can just monitor things and do the best I can, I'll be happy with myself.
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try just throwing the unhealthy snacks away...or if you work in an office with alot of other people, bring them to work for the others to enjoy. I know at my place of work, if snacks are brought (healthy or not) then are usually gone within minutes. haha.
    You can do it, just gotta use a small amount of will power. Also, I am a firm believer in not depriving yourself of anything, just eat it in moderationg. So if we have birthday cake, sometimes I have a tiny piece, sometimes not, depending on the day. Good luck!! :smile:
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I understand, we bought cupcakes over the weekend and i ate three of them yesterday just trying to get them ate so that they are not in the house anymore so that i can start to eat better..... but what i should have done is throw them in the trash or better yet not bought them at all... i can say no to them at the store but once they make it into my house i cant seem to say no.... So maybe we just dont get them at all or look for alternatives. We buy crap for our little ones when they really dont need it either.... So i plan on having the talk to the family tonight.... So if i am not on fitnesspal tomorrow, it means they drug me out back and decided they wanted their cupcakes and not me and my idea of healthy eating..:laugh:
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have any sage words of wisdom.....But I've been there myself. I work full time, have 2 small kids and was/is a stress eater. I feel like sometimes we put so much pressure on ourselves to solve this problem instantly. I've now lost 50 pounds...you can see my profile pics, but it was over 12 months. And there are days where I fall off the wagon completely and dust myself off and get back on again.

It's not a race...it's a journey and everyone is so diffferent. I've also come around to the fact that I'm going to care less about what the scale says and focus on my body fat percentage and how I FEEL.

Feel free to friend me if you're looking for support.
  • nantigua
    nantigua Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is certainly a hard conundrum... I have been there, done that with feeling motivated but not actually doing enough. Few things:
    I have found that I have the most success when I just think to myself that I HAVE to work out most days... So if I didnt hit the gym yesterday, i put pressure on myself to go today!!
    I also have 2 small children so it becomes difficult to find time. Sometimes I just leave bedtime duties to my hubby and hit the gym in the evening (even though I would rather not!) Anyway..You gotta find a time that WORKS for you. You may end up waking early before the kiddos : )
    I had plenty of days that I did not care for my eating choices. I log everything anyway, and start again next day. Even when I was losing the most, I have never been pristine in my diet if that's any relief.
    Give it your best TODAY...then tomorrow DO THE SAME. When you're feeling low...WATCH THE BIGGEST LOSER.. Ha Ha
    Boy this was long winded... : ) Feel free to add me for support. Nathaly
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I try to eat healthier/exercise I seem to do worse...am I the only one? Last year I lost about 25 pounds (being part a weight loss group that held me accountable) and I am quickly putting them back on this year. I start out the day thinking "its going to be a great/healthy day" - Then I think "well if I am going to eat healthy I need to get the unhealthy snacks out of the house so I may as well eat them!" then I dig myself in a hole and I think "well, maybe tomorrow will be better" My husband works out daily and has so much will power and I do not. I want it (in my head), but I lack the motivation to do the work to get there. I am not completely lazy...I have two small children that keep me busy and I do a little (exercising) here and there but it is not consistent. I want to be one of those people that are addicted to eating healthy and working out! Any suggestions?
    Try to take it hour by hour. Just throw out the unhealthy snacks or decide that whatever you do you are NOT going to eat them. If you do eat something that is not good for you, just try to not feel guilty about it and leave that behind you and make the next one a good one. Never ever think like "ok, this day is already ruined so I might just as well eat crap today and start tomorrow instead. " Always leave the past behind you stay focused on what is coming next.
    Try to make a plan for the day what youre going to eat. Maybe you wont follow it but at least you are getting in to the habit of thinking healthy eating. If you get a craving for something unhealthy, just try for 30 minutes not to have it and decide that if you still want it as bad after 30 minutes it's ok to have it. That has worked for me and not one time did I eat it after 30 minutes. Make sure to always have healthy snack options at home or with you if you go somewhere. ALWAYS bring that.
    When you want to eat something that is not on your plan for the day, try to figure out WHY youre eating it. Are you really that hungry or are you bored, restless, sad, worried or something else and want to eat for that reason? If it is real hunger you're feeling try to have a healthy option. like a low calorie protein shake or som raw nuts or something like that.
    As far as exercise I think that needs a plan to, a plan that you realistically can stick to. Don't overdo it in the beginning, if you go all out for a week or two and then lose motivation you will feel like you failed even if you didn't!
    Good luck!!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    make a plan, and stick to it. It takes a minimum of 2 weeks to really start to develop a new habit, so you need to stick to your plan solidly for a few weeks and then you may discover your body is starting to crave healthier foods, and that you just dont feel right without your exercise, etc.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I so know where you are! I find if I over think everything I eat/ want I do horribly, but when I just focus on eating healthy and eating when I'm hungry I do so much better! somedays it gets hard to overcome that boredom munching and the snacking between the time I get home from work and when supper's ready, but have learned to have a snack at the end of the work day and I've been much better. It is learning process.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

You must cultivate addictions and remember that the more you have- the more you want. So invest time in behaving like someone addicted and you will become her. :)

BE GREEDY FOR IT
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I remember that cycle, Friday I told myself on Monday would start to get healthy. Blowout the weekend and come Monday would start and fizzle out by the end of the week. For me what worked was making small changes daily, weekly, monthly. Setting goals and holding myself accountable for whatever reason (for me it was my kids). You have to figure out what your motivation is and stick with it and if this is a diet or a lifestyle change. Good luck!

^^What he said.

You have to come to a realization that makes sense for you. If you don't whole-heartedly want to change, you're not going to. You'll keep on finding excuses to justify your actions. When you finally get to the point that you're fed up with your current self, that's more likely when you'll change.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    being obsessed and addicted to being healthy is not so great. I see in myself I get obsessed the same way I was obsessed in the other direction. Balance is the key.

You already know- throw the junk food in the TRASH and do not eat it. But you have to reach the point where you really want it to be able to do that. I have been where you are now for a LONG time. I wanted to want it. But only once the doctor scared the crap out of me was I able to finally get there. I guess that was my "rock bottom." I have to do this to stay alive so my children have a mother.

Once you get started and you have a little progress, which does not take long at all, then your will will be strong because you will not want to throw away all the hardwork you already have done

You will get there. You are getting there now!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The only way to start is... to start. Stop thinking about it and start doing it. I thought myself out of it for years.

So, if you need someone to be an *kitten* about it, here goes...

Go find those junk foods and throw them away. Right now. You're still sitting in your chair, aren't you, AREN'T YOU?!?! GO!!! JUNK FOOD!!! TRASH CAN!!! NOW!!!!

Now drop and give me 10 sit-ups, soldier, because you start RIGHT NOW. What, you think I'm KIDDING!!! Make that 20! NOW!!! MOVE!!! FASTER!!!

Now start logging!!!
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You are NOT a human garbage disposal, so throw it away, don't eat it to get rid of it. If you want something good (and bad for you) go ahead and eat it and be done. The second, third, or however many more you eat will NOT taste better than that first bite....you will just be full and miserable and mad at yourself. Open your diary. Mine is, so my good and bad is there for anyone to look at, and I"ve learned people do look at your food diary. If you look at mine, I had a great big chocolate chip cookie for breakfast. It's there so I can't deny it....just move on.

Eat enough food....the more calories I allow myself, the less I feel like I'm on a diet. Starving just makes you miserable and it's not sustainable.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    there are days when i am the most awesome person on the planet. and there are days where i have to pretend to be the most awesome person on the planet.

then their are days i pretend to be batman.

what i'm trying to say is to always be batman.

no, seriously, sometimes it's all about the mindset. you have to tell yourself to do something, and sometimes you have to pretend to be what you are not, until you are that person
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you are trying to change your lifestyle in one day. So you think to yourself, it is ALL or nothing... Well... this approach doesn't seem to be successful (not for you, me and many other people.) My brother went from a hard core beef loving Nebraskan to a vegetarian Oregonian hippie (no, I'm not stereotyping at all!!), but it took him like 3-4 years to revamp his diet. I used to be a hard core sugar lover (oh...I'm still in recovery and attend weekly Sugaraholics Anonymous meetings) but now I can go a few days without a cookie. My goal is to become a clean eater. When I try to wipe out my old habits they come attacking with a vengeance. So instead, I try to take on one thing a day. Instead of thinking I can never ever have a cookie, ever again, I think...I'll go this week without cookies and then on Friday on a date with my boyfriend I can have desert or something special instead of a salad or whatever.

Oh, also I taught my daughter that certain things can make you fat if you eat them too much. Now if I eat ice cream she tells me I'll get fat. That works for now...but I might have some issues to deal with when she is 13. :)
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    make small goals a day at a time. Write them down and make them visable (like post them on the frig or bathroom mirror) constant reminder throughout the day. Its so much easier to fail and give up then to be successful. Tell yourself you are worth it! the feeling of power you have by achieving those small goals a day will become addicting. YOU can do it! There is no try there is only do!
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The reality is that you probably don't really want it enough to do anything about it yet.The idea of the results of eating healthy and exercising sound good long term, but right now, chowing down on a delicious big bags of chips or having a pizza delivered vs. cleaning fruit or veggies and eating that is a lot more appealing. It's EASIER, especially when you're exceptionally busy raising kids.

The only way this is going to happen is if you put the energy into planning it and making it happen.

Re getting the unhealthy stuff out of the house -- if it drives you crazy to throw away "perfectly good" food, then find a way to give it away. Or, if it's not possible to completely get it out of the house (e.g. the kids get snacks that are okay for them but not okay for you), then set aside a cabinet and/or a fridge shelf that becomes the "not for me" section of the kitchen!

Pick a day and a time that you're going to start. Make a plan for that entire week and do your grocery shopping based on that plan. If you don't have a food scale, get one, so you can measure portion sizes and KNOW how much you're eating, and journal everything you plan to eat BEFORE it goes into your mouth, so that you know EXACTLY how much your intake is vs. calories allowed so that you know when you HAVE to stop! Inform everyone you interact with on a daily basis that you're starting this plan and when, and ask them for their patience and support. Recognize in advance that those first few days are going to be very difficult as you reduce portion size.

Recognize in advance that you're NOT going to see huge results right away, that there will be no instant gratification, that this is a long-term effort, so you CAN'T expect daily results! PLAN your cheat days so that when your brain tries to rationalize unhealthy food based on ease and convenience or craving, you can rationalize right back and say - sure, I can have that, just not today, I have to save that cheat for the Memorial Day picnic, for the dinner out with my hubby, for the upcoming vacation, etc.

FWIW, after yo-yo-ing back and forth and being at my heaviest ever at the end of 2011, I restarted on New Year's Day this year. I've lost 21.5 pounds so far -- a little more than a pound a week -- and a couple of inches in my waist and hips. My cholesterol has dropped from nearly 300 down to 191: my doctor is thrilled. My clothes don't fit and I'll be going shopping for replacements this weekend. The first three days were really hard, as I forced my brain and stomach to recognize realistic portion sizes, but with my family and friends' support, I got through them. The first three weeks were depressing because i worked SO hard and saw so little return for my efforts. But as I stuck with it, and kept track of everything I did, I got more and more motivated, not less. I wanted to exercise more so I could eat more and then I didn't always eat as much as I was allowed to. The number on the scale started to come down - slowly, but steadily.

There is no "magic" wand, nothing that's going to make it easy. This is hard. It's work. But it CAN be done.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The greatest battle with any change is the mental path you choose to take. You must become Aware. Aware of where you are, what is it you want, what the present choices before you are. From here, you must CHOOSE what it you want, what is going to get you there - subconsciously asking yourself regularly - HOW BAD DO I WANT THIS...last, you must ACT upon the choices that lead you to your goals - in this case, a healthy lifestyle.

I speak through experience. MFP has helped me become more aware of what I am eating and how much. Do you need "throw away" or give away food, NO. THIS IS WASTE. Become aware of how much you are eating. VISUALIZE everything. Track EVERYTHING. It takes about 2 weeks to truly understand this.

Believe in yourself. You are greatest motivator you need. Find the Desire to succeed and YOU WILL.

CHOOSE. ACT. SUCCEED.